Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, that thread I mentioned may not be recent, but it is packed with a lot of good font information. Better then starting a new thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #17
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't understand why this thread is continuing. I pointed to the proper thread to keep going yet you go with this thread when the other thread is all about fonts and has a lot more information.
Are they rationing the number of threads we can have?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Are they rationing the number of threads we can have?
By having too many threads on the same subject, it makes it harder for people to find the information they are seeking.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Buy having too many threads on the same subject, it makes it harder for people to find the information they are seeking.
Not only that, the older threads include pictures of how the text will look on a e-ink device That is much more useful than just a font name and the alphabet or quick-brown-fox written out in that font because fonts render differently on ereaders than on PCs (because MS and Apple each for their own font rendering engines, while ereaders mostly use the Freetype engine).
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #20
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Naaah, you ain't. Either you do it the hard way, like the big guys above and hack your Sony - or you do it the sneaky girlie way, like I do. Just convert all your files to LRF. In LRF the fonts are embedded and Calibre will give you a wast array of font choices
Thank you for the tip! I don't think I'd be brave enough to hack into my reader just yet!
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
Thank you for the tip! I don't think I'd be brave enough to hack into my reader just yet!
Or you leave it the way it is and forget about fonts, just read books and enjoy it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #22
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Naaah, you ain't. Either you do it the hard way, like the big guys above and hack your Sony - or you do it the sneaky girlie way, like I do. Just convert all your files to LRF. In LRF the fonts are embedded and Calibre will give you a wast array of font choices
On the 650, can you not use the stylesheet to point to whatever fonts you load into memory? You can on the the 505 at a minimum, and I'm pretty sure on some of the others as well.

In any case, epub allows embedding fonts too if you'd like. It just takes up extra memory space since books sharing the same font have to each include their own copy.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44269

With some pictures even.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't know about the 650, but embedded fonts on the 505 in LRF were painfully slow. Also, support for LRF is hit or miss in Calibre and has bugs that will never be fixed.

On all the ePub enabled Sony Readers, you can load fonts on the Reader and use CSS in ePub to point to them to be used. And the speed is not slow at all. There is a thread in the ePub forum that explains this for the 505, but it works for all.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #25
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I don't know about the 650, but embedded fonts on the 505 in LRF were painfully slow.
It is not slow, not even slower as epub. Works just fine and normal otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it. And LRF does fix the giant gaps in font sizing also. Why don't you give it a try?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It is not slow, not even slower as epub. Works just fine and normal otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it. And LRF does fix the giant gaps in font sizing also. Why don't you give it a try?
I don't actually have a problem with font sizing in ePub. I just put in a font-size: 95% in body and it's good to go. Not a problem at all. For my mom, I use font-size: 120% and she's good to go.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But that won't work well on a 500, 505, or 300 for sure. I've tried LRF with embedded fonts on the 505 and it's painfully slow.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
I beg to differ. Embeded fonts in LRF on my 350 DRASTICALLY slows down my reader, as compared to Epubs, and, it does nothing at all for the big gaps in font sizes. The absolute easiest way is to convert to epub in Calibre referencing the stylesheet fonts (you can save this so that it's as simple as clicking ONE button), and copying the fonts to your ereader.

No hacks required or otherwise messing with firmware.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
I beg to differ. Embeded fonts in LRF on my 350 DRASTICALLY slows down my reader, as compared to Epubs, and, it does nothing at all for the big gaps in font sizes. The absolute easiest way is to convert to epub in Calibre referencing the stylesheet fonts (you can save this so that it's as simple as clicking ONE button), and copying the fonts to your ereader.

No hacks required or otherwise messing with firmware.
Embedded fonts in ePub via ADE are no slower then the default fonts in ADE. Plus, with ePub, I can set the font size I want and I then don't need to change the font size.

BBeB (LRF/LRX) is dead. Let it stay dead.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #30
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
I agree.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote