Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
CaitlinShaw
CaitlinShaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Matadata management for Kindle

I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious -- can anyone help me out?

I have a Kindle 3 and Calibre 0.7.37, and I am trying to manage the metadata on my books. I have a number of older DRM-free ebooks loaded on my Kindle, so I loaded them into my Calibre library and cleaned up the metadata on some of them, but I can't figure out how to get the metadata corrections back into my Kindle without deleting the books from my Kindle and re-adding them from Calibre.

Under Preferences -> Import/Export -> Sending books to devices I have the "metadata management" option set to "automatic management", but that doesn't seem to do anything for my Kindle, even though it says that it will keep my metadata in sync every time I connect my device.

If I try to send the books to my Kindle without deleting them first, I end up with two copies of each book on my Kindle, so that's not the way to do it.

If I do delete the books and re-add them, I can see the metadata as I set it in Calibre, so I know that Calibre is correctly setting the metadata on my books.

What am I missing?
CaitlinShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You aren't missing anything. That is how the kindle and calibre work together.

Amazon provides no way for calibre to update metadata for books (or anything else, for that matter), so automatic management doesn't do much on a Kindle (calibre keeps its own metadata cache up to date). This is also why collection information is not updated on kindles. You end up with two copies because the path names have metadata in them. You can delete the old copy before or after sending the new one.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
CaitlinShaw
CaitlinShaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Oh, botheration! That is very frustrating.

Thank you for letting me know before I pulled out any more of my hair!
CaitlinShaw is offline   Reply With Quote