Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
How to 'go back' a version??

I have just installed V0.72. It has a lot of problems on my system - and does not seem to work with my Pocketbook 302 at all well.

I have tried to reinstall V0.71, but it says that a newer version is installed and will not let me proceed.

Is there any way around this (apart from doing a complete uninstall)?
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
While I don't need to "go back," I'm curious to know as well, just in case.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You have to first install the current version to go back (on Windows at least).

Note that uninstalling Calibre does not remove your Calibre settings and ebooks library so that they are still there if you install the earlier version.

Going backwards is not always possible as sometimes the metadata.db file used with the current release is incompatible with earlier releases. If you want to guarantee you can revert you should make a copy of this file before upgrading. so that you can reinstate it if you need to revert (although note that doing so will lose any changes made in calibre after the point you made the backup).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Going backwards is not always possible as sometimes the metadata.db file used with the current release is incompatible with earlier releases.
Thanks for the info. I will do that. I only want to go back to 0.71 - that was working just fine. The latest 0.72 version has introduced a number of problems.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
Thanks for the info. I will do that. I only want to go back to 0.71 - that was working just fine. The latest 0.72 version has introduced a number of problems.
The alternative is to wait a day or two and try 0.7.3. Then if that has problems report the bugs so they can be ironed out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Need help/advice on rolling back, pls.

This thread isn't particularly helpful. Calibre won't install 0.74 over 0.75 using the Windows Installer package because it has detected a "newer version," and for whatever reason, 0.75 won't convert my epbubs to mobis, suddenly (the epubs are clean, even 1.05 validate). Calibre just sits there and churns on a smallish file. I'd like to roll back to 0.74, which was working, I think, for conversions (Windows, XP). (It might have been all the way back to 0.72 or 3 when I last converted an epub to a mobi).

Can someone tell me if I have to completely uninstall Calibre in order to reinstall 0.74? Thanks.

n.b. - It would still be good to know if there's a simple(r) way to roll back, but it is working, albeit shockingly slowly, comparatively speaking...it took me 13 minutes to convert a 600kb file, all text with one 450x550 cover at 300dpi and 5 thumbnails of 13k each. I have no idea why it's this dog-slow, I never had this problem before....???

Last edited by Hitch; 06-27-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Can someone tell me if I have to completely uninstall Calibre in order to reinstall 0.74? Thanks.
That's exactly what I did in order to reinstall v7.4 today.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You do have to uninstall Calibre first
You don't usually have to uninstall the preferences directory usually although I did have to one one occasion
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
Do a google search for which version of calibre you are looking for. I did it when I installed the 7.xxx version and it screwed up my library and it would not even let me edit it the way that I used to.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote