Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I brought my Sony 505 into a Barnes and Nobel to compare it directly to a Nook. The Nook screen is better, a tad bit whiter, and also with better fonts. Now with a new firmware rev, perhaps the Nook will be considered by more people.
Great to know. Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #32
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I decided to go with the Nook, traveled all the way to NYC this morning to get one and I LOVE IT!!!!! The screen in my opinion is miles better than the Sony edition with it's almost white background and bold dark font (you can even change the font styles). No glare whatsoever that I can see and reading is a pure joy even with dimmer light. Getting on the store took a very short amount of time. I like that I can download Free samples although they are very brief.

You can read my impressions in the Nook forum. Although the Sony Daily Edition looks beautiful, it's large, the form factor is super and it's a touch screen, the very dark screen and difficulty in reading in even normal lighting was a deal breaker for me. I do'nt need a book light in a normal lit room for the Nook but the Sony daily edition I could see that I would. That is unacceptable to me.

Anyway, I hope everyone is happy with their Sony readers, that is only my experience, I'm sure others would have their own opinions. Whatever makes you happy, go with that e-reader. Blessings to all. I found the e-reader for me at last.
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good for you! Glad you are loving it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations on your nook!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Enjoy your nook!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #36
sagiquarion
sagiquarion began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo, PRS-900 DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think most of the complaints against the 900's screen are from people with little or no intuition or imagination. They look at the screen under one lighting condition and judge the 900. NO e-ink screen looks good in low light. Few, if any, look good in the flourescent lighting of department stores. However, if you read in direct sunlight, the screen on the 900 looks fabulous. If you use a good book light for low light reading and position that light appropriately, the 900 screen looks fabulous.

And do NOT look at a 600 screen and think the 900 looks the same. The 900 screen is MUCH better than that of the 600. Unfortunately, many Best Buys have 600 models on display but no 900 models on display.
Indeed. One needs to get the unit in head and try in their normal, comfortable reading conditions so see how they feel about it. I am testing a PRS-900 and a prs-300 right now and in all of my normal reading conditions the prs-300 looks much better. Now if you take the prs-900 and place in lighting conditions that mimic diffused sunlight (think cloudy day) you'll notice the prs900 screen improves drastically. I haven't decided if I'm keeping mine yet due to the discomforting screen. I've given it a fair chance and the last chance I'm going to give it is under a might bright travelflex as recommended else where, once it arrives in the mail. If it makes it look very nice, I'll keep it. Of course, I'll take it back to best buy and save my self the 25 bucks in taxes and get it online but at least I as able to test in house. If not, then I guess I'll be looking at one of the various 6 inch models out there or just wait several more weeks to see what else shows up. Perhaps the bebook Neo or Boox (same hardware, different firmware).

Moral of story: when getting ebook readers, try out as many as you can in your home and try to make direct comparisons if possible. You're only guessing which will look best to you under your conditions by not doing so.
sagiquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #37
sagiquarion
sagiquarion began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo, PRS-900 DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think most of the complaints against the 900's screen are from people with little or no intuition or imagination. They look at the screen under one lighting condition and judge the 900.
I tested it in various lighting conditions and found the screen to be as you say under direct sunlight, diffused sunlight and under the travelflex light I purchased as well as my normal lighting conditions for reading. It looks very nice under those conditions; only lacking in sharpness due to the touch layer. I still need to shift around to find that sweet spot where the glare is not as noticeable. Even with the fantastic reading light I have, I always found myself going back to the prs300 screen regardless of lighting conditions.

Here is the point: I'm not paying $424 (tax) bucks for an reader that is nice in every other respect if I have to shift around so the glare doesn't bother me and even then have text that isn't quite as sharp. If it were cheaper, I'd be willing to compromise but not at that price. I gave it a fair chance of three weeks and just couldn't settle. I took mine back and am using a sony prs300 for now until I can make up my mind on which reader I want. Perhaps the bebook neo or boox since they have wacom screens that don't require that extra touch layer on top of the eink. I'm certainly spoiled by having the dictionary on the prs900 but the two readers I mentioned do support dictionaries.

PS: for those that went with a nook: How in the hell are you tolerating the sluggish firmware on those things. I've tried them, twice, and I just can't get myself to accept it. Perhaps it'll be better if you can slap on that custom apps. Maybe I'll get one from the store so I can try it on my own time my experience with the floor models made me feel like I was using software still in alpha development.

Last edited by sagiquarion; 02-12-2010 at 02:31 PM.
sagiquarion is offline   Reply With Quote