Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #16
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I would add (for clarification) that there are also hardwarevice different M92's sold in Russia. They sell full M92 and to cut the price a bit also "light" versions without audio output, and maybe even one without pen ability, there. Those "light" versions also used to need special firmware. It might not be true now and any non-ArtaTech firmware installs on them... I am not sure.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
frank0734
frank0734 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I would add (for clarification) that there are also hardwarevice different M92's sold in Russia. They sell full M92 and to cut the price a bit also "light" versions without audio output, and maybe even one without pen ability, there. Those "light" versions also used to need special firmware. It might not be true now and any non-ArtaTech firmware installs on them... I am not sure.
Isn't that model called M92s instead of M92? Sorry if I am wrong.
frank0734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I guess it is right, but one may overlook the s... And I think they are not sold as M92 or M92s, ..., but have distinct names.

It is not so important, I just wanted to point out that the situation might be even more complex than just Onyx firmware x ArtaTech firmware...
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i've encountered a problem where i've put the m92 in standby mode and placed it in a slip case for transport inside a messenger bag. with other things in the bag moving, it seems that the joystick on the m92 is being depressed and/or moved around. this resulted in the device coming out of standby mode with the "go to page" pop-up in front view. however, i've manually tested moving the joystick around/depressing it while the m92 is in standby mode and cannot get it to come out of standby mode. what's going one here? maybe the button needs to be depressed for quite a while, like a minute or so? while testing it, i only moved it around/depressed it for a few seconds and did not get it to come out of standby. the only way that i've been consciously bringing it out of standby is by pressing on the power button.

the power button is really awkwardly placed, by the way. i think it should have been placed closer to one of the corners rather than in the center. and better yet. it should be at the top or the side, rather than the bottom. the joystick also should have been designed as a 5-way rocker switch that lays flat on the device. that way, it would not stick out and be prone to accidental movement and pressing. oh well.

Last edited by rem736; 03-25-2013 at 01:21 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
Mono
Mono

There was the bug, that if the device was put manualy in standby and the power management settings had set time the both for standby and for off then M92 switched on after some time. Or it was something like this. Power management instead of doing nothing or switching off switched on.

It should have been fixed some time ago, but it seems to me that sometimes it still switches on, but I am not 100% sure if it really happens or it is just my "feeling"...

Last edited by Mono; 03-25-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
ExH
E x H
ExH began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
@rem736 - I've had the same problem while transporting my M92 in the standard Onyx leather case in a messenger bag. I think the problem is the power management bug Mono referred to, in that the device sometimes turns itself back on after manually being put in standby mode. I've actually observed the device doing this while sitting untouched on a table, so I know for a fact it's possible.

I haven't been able to figure out the exact conditions that trigger the bug, though.
ExH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so i guess the solution is to set power management to never and just manually put the device to standby when it's ready to be put away. got it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #23
edmond
Enthusiast
edmond began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox C65 AG
It seems to me that the only advantage in having the device in standby is that it is insensitive to button press: this way if you (close the cover and) transport it, you don't risk to mess up what you were reading.
On the power consumption side, I don't think there is a relevant difference, if any at all! In fact, when the device is on and you simply don't press anything, it looks like it doesn't uses any power. For example, it doesn't even update the clock.

If my considerations (born from my user experience) are right, then setting power management to other than "Off" is useless or even deleterious, given the bug pointed out by Mono.

All in all, set power management to "Off" and simply switch it to standby only when you need to carry it, otherwise just leave it as it is.
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
frank0734
frank0734 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 White Pearl
Agree. Actually I think in the manual, or somewhere on one of Onyx websites, it is already said standby mode does not saves more energy at all!
frank0734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Mono
Mono

I am not sure, but I think that the bug occured only if standby and off were set. Just standby was ok...

I think, standby saves energy (comparing to on), cannot say how much. I leave M92 always in standby, I do not use off.

If on, the clock does not update, but the processor runs. It is planned that the clock will be updated regulary to avoid confusion what time it is...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
edmond
Enthusiast
edmond began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox C65 AG
Well, maybe it was not clear from the previous but by setting power management to "Off" I meant to "Never" (there is not an "Off" option).

For me, the best option is "Never" and use standby manually, but this is very personal for it happens to me to stay for a long time on the same page when reading very technical papers.

It would be interesting to know if the difference of power consumption in standby and on mode, but I think the test is nearly impossible given that a full charge lasts (to me) a couple of weeks...
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion

"on" should not use any more power than "standby", as e-ink doesn't use power until it updates the screen. however, as the processor is still running, there is always some power being used in either mode. the only time no power is used, of course, is when it is completely switched off.

on my sony reader, the way the clock updates is when the screen updates, by changing the page, or any other means that causes the screen to change.

i notice that for the m92, if you go into the full screen clock by tapping on the clock on the upper right hand corner, it does update periodically.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #28
rem736
purpose priority passion

in the thread Firmware updates, dictionaries, fonts and third-party software for M92 there is a reference to a third party file browser that you can install for additional functionality. first off, can i actually install it on my m92, given that mine is an ArtaTech model. and second, is there any problem i should be aware of that makes the installation harder than is actually explained in the link?

thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #29
Mono
Mono

I do not know about ArtaTech, but it should not be a problem to install and use OFTM file manager.

I use OFTM on non ArtaTech for long time and no problem. Instalation is not the problem.

OFTM allows you along with others delete system files... So you should know what you do, if you are browsing system partition.

Also OFTM allows user to set powermanagement times for standby and off more freely than standard Onyx interface. I use standby 30 min and never off.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
rem736
purpose priority passion

thanks mono,

i thought that the warning was about possible problems. i understand now that it's a warning to users that they can actually delete/alter files with this file manager. so just be careful with it. i'll attempt the install and report back whether or not it works on an ArtaTech model.

UPDATE: i did the oftm file manager install and it works. i first ran install_sys_progs.oar, then install.oar, after which it rebooted on its own. then oftm file manager can be found under the "applications" icon. i notice that if you wanted to add standby screen pics of your own, you have to name the pics in sequence, starting with:

screen_saver0.png
screen_saver1.png
screen_saver2.png
screen_saver9.png

i first uploaded 3 test images, and named them with 3, 4, 5, since 0, 1, and 2 were the original factory standby screen pics. tested by cycling the standby mode. it went through all 6 in sequence. then i removed the original 3. when i next put it in standby, i only see a blank screen. i got back into the file manager and renamed them with 0, 1, 2. only then would the images show up. so whatever pics you want to use, they have start with 0 in the name.

Last edited by rem736; 03-27-2013 at 01:07 AM.