Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #271
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Nope, what I ment was the factory reset option,. I apologize for the confusion.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #272
Pooh_
Enthusiast
Pooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with others

Device: Onyx Boox I62HD, Onyx T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
Nope, what I ment was the factory reset option,. I apologize for the confusion.
No, it does not touch nor the firmware and updates, nor books and documents.

It removes some system databases, history and preferences. And,... surprise!... all ".onyx" folders with your scribbles and annotations!

So, backup your data and remove your SD card from the Onyx before the making a "Factory reset" (if you use these features).
Pooh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #273
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Any news on the status of the once announced graphic user interface upgrade of the Firefly? It has been a while (october?) and there has been no status report whatsoever. Upgrades that did appear since did not affect the GUI at all.
Ok, no reply. Which normally means that nobody nowhere is working on any 6"device Onyx Boox GUI improvement. They will issue upgrades for small improvements under the hood, but a major adaptation of the looks of the firmware is not under construction. Previous announcements in that direction were never made or invalid, will be denied and "we do not understand how some people ever got the idea that we....".

Please tell me I'm wrong (but if you do: provide something tangible like status and estimated dates of issue).
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #274
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
I'd love to see a completely revamped user interface too, the current one is little more than that of the M92 partially adapted to a smaller screen. BUT that's not Boxtoor's job and I doubt his team of software tweakers has the muscle to perform such a demanding task. It's Onyx, the manufacturer, who should be working on revamping the sofware and leaving the little tweaks and improvements to the user community. The big question is does Onyx want to stay in business? Ereaders are getting better and better, there's lots of competition and the Boox has great potential, chiefly cause it can read almost any format available. But as it is, will western users spoiled by the various Kindles and the Kobos choose to buy an Onyx product over the aforementioned? I hope somebody at Onyx is checking this forum now and then.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #275
hubertphava
Connoisseur
hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, Onyx-Boox Poke5
Another BigQuestion could be: when we could have an ereader with good hardware ( as firefly is) and *good* reading software onboard?
Damn.... On firefly we have three! programs; no one of them has basic e-reading features (together in *one* of them) like:

* good rendering of internal epub css;
* adapting css to human reader's taste;
* rendering of images;
* text-notes: impossible to use;
* esternal links: why the hell have I a browser and (already paid) wifi hardware if can't use for example to search in wikipedia or to follow internal epub links?
* better dictionary usability.

These kind of features are implemented on devices from *years* but non in a quite_200_euros_device_in_2013.
Should we wait for (Ah^Ah^Ah-Pliz, don't joke!) next android system for firefly?
I hope it will arrive ASAP, so at last I could install the barnes&noble app ( fro example) to simply *read e-books* decent manner.

Ufff.....

HP
hubertphava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #276
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
I fully agree with yayo and huberphava.
Onyx has great hardware but limited by a not so good firmware. while booxtor do a great job the limitation of origal firmware remains.
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #277
thejoo52
thejoo52 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubertphava View Post
These kind of features are implemented on devices from *years* but non in a quite_200_euros_device_in_2013.
Should we wait for (Ah^Ah^Ah-Pliz, don't joke!) next android system for firefly?
I hope it will arrive ASAP, so at last I could install the barnes&noble app ( fro example) to simply *read e-books* decent manner.

Ufff.....

HP
Agreed 100%. My first gen kindle's software offered a superior reading experience to the Firefly.

EDIT: That doesn't mean the hardware isn't great. It is. I bought it because it's really the only e-reader out there with a frontlight, tactile buttons, and a touch screen. It's an empty page waiting to be written, so to speak.

Last edited by thejoo52; 02-22-2013 at 09:42 AM.
thejoo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #278
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd love to see a completely revamped user interface too, the current one is little more than that of the M92 partially adapted to a smaller screen. BUT that's not Boxtoor's job and I doubt his team of software tweakers has the muscle to perform such a demanding task. It's Onyx, the manufacturer, who should be working on revamping the sofware and leaving the little tweaks and improvements to the user community. The big question is does Onyx want to stay in business? Ereaders are getting better and better, there's lots of competition and the Boox has great potential, chiefly cause it can read almost any format available. But as it is, will western users spoiled by the various Kindles and the Kobos choose to buy an Onyx product over the aforementioned? I hope somebody at Onyx is checking this forum now and then.
I do hope Booxtor will communicate this to Onyx with the required insistance. I think for now Booxtor is very very silent on this subject, whereas in the past he was the one who expressed his confidence in the development of a 6" specific user interface. So please, Booxtor, let us know your vision on this topic.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #279
ChristineGER
Enthusiast
ChristineGER began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I do hope Booxtor will communicate this to Onyx with the required insistance. I think for now Booxtor is very very silent on this subject, whereas in the past he was the one who expressed his confidence in the development of a 6" specific user interface. So please, Booxtor, let us know your vision on this topic.

I support this demands absolutely.
ChristineGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #280
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1234
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #281
adbosch
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inemi View Post
That's about the M92. We're talking about the 6" devices here.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #282
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoo52 View Post
Agreed 100%. My first gen kindle's software offered a superior reading experience to the Firefly.

EDIT: That doesn't mean the hardware isn't great. It is. I bought it because it's really the only e-reader out there with a frontlight, tactile buttons, and a touch screen. It's an empty page waiting to be written, so to speak.
It takes a fanboy of Amazon to affirm that.

I read perfectly with my M92 and my Firefly.
Do you like reading the pdf, for example, with the Kindle and official firmware?

Which is not to say that the firmware of Onyx is not improved. As said in the corresponding thread.

But not with the current firmware development, I would change my Firefly by Paperwhite. Neither my M92 for DXG ..
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #283
thejoo52
thejoo52 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
It takes a fanboy of Amazon to affirm that.

I read perfectly with my M92 and my Firefly.
Do you like reading the pdf, for example, with the Kindle and official firmware?

Which is not to say that the firmware of Onyx is not improved. As said in the corresponding thread.

But not with the current firmware development, I would change my Firefly by Paperwhite. Neither my M92 for DXG ..
...really? You think I hold allegiance to a corporation? I'm simply stating the facts. The first gen Kindle hardly ever crashed (if ever) and it managed to format the ebooks that I put on it in a nice readable way (also, endnotes worked, which is more than I can say for the Firefly). You must never have used one. It was a simpler device, to be sure, but it actually worked reliably. I didn't use it for looking at pdfs. Neither would I use the Firefly for that purpose. An e-ink display is too clunky.

Please keep your own fanboyism to yourself. Emotional projections pertaining to multinational corporations are not only absurd, they don't pertain at all to this topic.
thejoo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #284
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Hi,
I know that some GUI optimisation is highly expected and demanded, but we just do things step-by-step.

Currently we are working on implementation of multitasking features like tasks manager (since it was the most demanded feature). Although it is interesting task, it also still needs hard working on it.

My silence here on some days in last time is just because I am heavily busy with it, so please don't be frustrated and confused by it.

Next step will be implementing of some advanced settings and GUI optimisation.

It concerns both - M92 and i62 series. They are using same software.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #285
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Booxter, you also mentioned integrating annotations into the Coolreader instead of just the PDF reader. Will that also be in the next update?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote