mshappy89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
How common are faulty Kobo screens

Seem to be reading a fair few posts regarding faulty screens
mshappy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
What do you want us to say?
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
There are five Kobos in our family and none of them have ever had screen problems.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshappy89 View Post
Seem to be reading a fair few posts regarding faulty screens
What do you mean by faulty?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
mshappy89
mshappy89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
The screen freezing up on the previous read cover or the black lines appearing
mshappy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
To me those sound like they could be two separate issues. I've had one freeze (I've had my touch for 2.5 months). I haven't seen a problem with black lines.

I do have a problem with taps being missed, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166744, but I wouldn't say the problems are screen related.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
The black lines/broken-looking-but-not-actually-broken-screen problem isn't uncommon, but it's not something restricted to Kobo devices; it's more of an issue with the EPD screens. I can't speak for the Nook, but where I work, we sell Kindles, and it tends to be one Kindle every two weeks with a stuffed screen. We did also have the same issue with the previous e-readers we sold, which were also E Ink, but previous gen screens (8 level greyscale).
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
My first Kobo 1 had black lines appear on the screen after 11 months, but after some hassle Kobo replaced it free of charge. My Mom has my replacement Kobo-1 now and nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

I also had a Kobo Touch that I returned after 16 days (Two days past the time I could return in s
tore ), because it had a faulty Micro-USB port, and I've had the replacement for about 6 Months I think. But that wasn't a screen problem.
I also know 7 other people who have various models of Kobo with and nothing has gone wrong with theirs.

So I don't think it's really common.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-21-2012 at 12:40 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I got my KT second hand and I have had it for 6mths and I have never had anything wrong with the screen. I also had a Kobo wifi and the screen on that was fine on that as well.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I don't have any problems with my screen so far(and I hope it stays this way) but once I noticed something strange. When turning on, on that booting sequence, for like 1 second the left side of the screen went black, like a very wide black bar. It was gone before I realized something was wrong. it didn't happen since then, but I'm worried whether it was a hardware issue or a software one.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
No problems here. Had my Kobo Touch for about 6 or 7 months now.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Returned our non-touch Kobo for replacement due to lines.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
nakigirl
nakigirl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
kobo screen faulty

I have the kobo wifi and my screen is playing up its showing black lines where the start up screen icons would normally be, it still goes through the whole process of opening but the screen is blank shy of the lines and nothing else!! anyone had similar problems?? do you know what caused it? i sent it back and they are saying it is contact damage but i know it isnt, it hasnt been dropped i was reading from it just fine minutes before it happened. would appreciate any feedback, comments
nakigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161143

can see my experiences and what i discovered here
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote