Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Pulling off the latest firmware upgrade temporary!

Dear All:

Answers to our questions to the factory last night opened more questions than were answered.

There are some problems for those that read in languages other than English and questions about Text-To-Speech and more.

Until we are satisfied that everything has been worked out fully, we are taking the latest firmware upgrade off of our websites. Some parts worked great regarding FB2 and Coolreader... but there are still major questions about .LIT that remain.

This is temporary. We are pulling it down off the site until ALL of it is exactly right for our Pocket PRO users. The factory did a lot more in this upgrade than they told us they did... and we want to get ALL of it right.

IF any problems developed on your device... please contact tech support and we will try to get you back to the earlier upgrade. The tollfree number is: 1-866-368-8788.

I apologize for the problem and inconvenience. We are going to work now on getting things to where we are fully satisfied!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Thanks, Robert. I'd rather wait for a while and get everthing working good.

I like the Coolreader for my TXT. It takes care of half my requirements. Now, if TTS comes back, I'll be totally satisfied.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm VERY pleased with TXT and RTF.

I bought ALL of the Doc Savage and Shadow txt files when they were legally being sold, and the POCKET PRO reads them ALL beautfully.

I also have all 336 Shadow novels loaded onto my Pocket Pro. AND THEY ARE ALL WONDERFULLY FORMATTED AND READY TO READ.

Get that .Lit working and "Holy Crap," this firmware will be incredible.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Readerati
Readerholic
Readerati began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro
Thanks Robert. I'm happy with the new firmware so far - but for those that have had problems, would it be an idea to offer the previous firmware on the web site so a roll-back can be performed (for the time being)?
Readerati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
@Read, i found the Dec FW on the astak site in support/downloads

about 2 days ago i think

@Robert... thanks, for someone nervous about the update, and not sure what all the probs are (and still waiting for my unit to arrive), I like your approach mate!
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Thanks for the update, Robert. I am very interested in updating my PP with this new firmware, especially if they can get the LIT working. Not having to convert anything would be wonderful.

Once the LIT gets working and there are more zoom options for doc formats I'll be in 7th heaven with this!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Thank you for this!
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm VERY pleased with TXT and RTF.

I bought ALL of the Doc Savage and Shadow txt files when they were legally being sold, and the POCKET PRO reads them ALL beautfully.

I also have all 336 Shadow novels loaded onto my Pocket Pro. AND THEY ARE ALL WONDERFULLY FORMATTED AND READY TO READ.

Get that .Lit working and "Holy Crap," this firmware will be incredible.

Don
I'm jeolous. All my Doc Savage and Shadows books are in .lit format and they look like crap. Worse than they did before hand as a matter of fact.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have them all as well. I slowly working my way through them. Right now I am on #17, "The Five Chameleons."

As the figure faded into the night, a quiet, sinister laugh seemed to come from the darkness itself. But this was no ordinary laugh. For this was the laugh of the Shadow!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Doc S and Shadow... are these purchase or is there a library to download? (non lit)

thanks !

(sorry for the temporary thread steal, haha)
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
Doc S and Shadow... are these purchase or is there a library to download? (non lit)

thanks !

(sorry for the temporary thread steal, haha)
These days I reckon it depends on how honest yew wanna be. They say yew can find just about anything out there on the web anymore.

Shadow had gone PD, but last I heard, someone had the rights to it again.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeace View Post
I'm jeolous. All my Doc Savage and Shadows books are in .lit format and they look like crap. Worse than they did before hand as a matter of fact.
Do they look OK with MSreader on the PC?
My Calibre LIT to EPUB look good with no tweaks

Sigil 2beta is getting close. I did my first Drop Cap.

(It would be nice if they automated the taging)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Hi Robert,

Are you gathering up the "hits" and "misses" of the new firmware based on the four or five different threads it has generated, or should we establish a single, dedicated thread to the task (assuming you have any real pull to influence things in China beyond informing your colleagues that the latest firmware was "not quite ready for prime time")??

I realize TTS is important as it is a selling point of the Pocket Pro, and I'd rather have it available in case I develop a compelling need for it in the future.

But it would be a real shame if we were to lose some of the forward progress TXT, RTF, HTML, FB2, and yes...even EPUB files (once they are renamed) now enjoy with the updated Cool Reader software. I realize there are some bugs in this new version as well, including the odd way it now reverses text, and these should certainly be corrected.

In any event, for now I'm happy to use the latest, "pulled" firmware (although I can appreciate why Astak removed it).

Thanks for keeping us all informed!!!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Matter of Cooperation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Hi Robert,

Are you gathering up the "hits" and "misses" of the new firmware based on the four or five different threads it has generated, or should we establish a single, dedicated thread to the task (assuming you have any real pull to influence things in China beyond informing your colleagues that the latest firmware was "not quite ready for prime time")??

I realize TTS is important as it is a selling point of the Pocket Pro, and I'd rather have it available in case I develop a compelling need for it in the future.

But it would be a real shame if we were to lose some of the forward progress TXT, RTF, HTML, FB2, and yes...even EPUB files (once they are renamed) now enjoy with the updated Cool Reader software. I realize there are some bugs in this new version as well, including the odd way it now reverses text, and these should certainly be corrected.

In any event, for now I'm happy to use the latest, "pulled" firmware (although I can appreciate why Astak removed it).

Thanks for keeping us all informed!!!
Dear Xochipilli:

It is more a matter right now of symantics. The factory and Astak are trying to reach agreement on things. I cannot go into any detail... but we expect them to keep supporting the devices.

Give us a while to work with them and sort all of this out!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Xochipilli:

It is more a matter right now of symantics. The factory and Astak are trying to reach agreement on things. I cannot go into any detail... but we expect them to keep supporting the devices.

Give us a while to work with them and sort all of this out!
Wow, I got a little shudder reading that, kind of doesn't sound too good at the moment. Hope I am wrong.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote