Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Kindle DX hitting some University Snags

It seems that the kindle DX isn't as popular with students as Amazon might have hoped. The photo of the book looks exactly like some of my reference books.
CNET article Do Kindles (and other e-readers) need better ways to annotate?
Quote:
An interesting report from Princeton University regarding its pilot program to test Kindle DX units in an academic environment has revealed something notable: namely, that Kindles still feel awkward to students currently in college. Feedback from some students complained about the Kindle's annotation system being "too slow" to keep up with the thinking of a reader who wants to effortlessly mark up text. Others called the entire Kindle device "a poor excuse for an academic tool."

Last edited by derrell; 10-01-2009 at 02:53 AM.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
A bit redundant I guess since it tags with another thread that's already here, but I rather dislike this whole "Apple, I hope you're listening" thing.

It's not surprising, though a little disappointing, to see promotion of extra communication tools and gimmickry when we can't even get the stupid things fast enough to be desirable academic tools.

Let's install microphones and speakers and get some teamspeak software on the devices. Imagine reading with Leeroy Jenkins in your class.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
One good place to start would be adopting a universal pagination system across all e-books, since, as one Princeton student points out, citing references from a digital document is nearly impossible--using page references from Kindle's numbering system is useless for anyone else. Maybe the problem is that e-readers are trying to simulate the book experience too much.
Actually, I've had a fairly good experience citing page references from . . .you guessed it, PDF's on my DR 1000s, allowing others to find text that I'm referring to in discussion. Although not in a classroom setting, I believe my experiences with PDF's to be quite portable to classrooms.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Let's install microphones and speakers and get some teamspeak software on the devices. Imagine reading with Leeroy Jenkins in your class.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I think Touch screen would help.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert