Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #2596
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Don't these machines have sqlite installed?
It might be a bit much to ask a herd of independent developers to use a package management system . . .
But maybe just a provide set of three little scripts to create, query, delete (or mark deleted so the history of "was once there" is kept) that developers could use?
Asking only that the developer edit in their package name and call them at the appropriate times.
Well, one script, with the three functions.
Perhaps included with the OTA update unpack/pack tool.
If nothing else, at least we might reduce the number of "I've forgotten what all I installed, but **** doesn't work for me" questions.
Seconded, but not all programs are installed (myts,most developer kindlets, etc) which may present a problem. If twobob gets yum compiled, then we might be able to get yum to place a name of installed packages in a file, or update sqlite or whathaveyou.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #2597
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Things which alter the system image **should** be installed.

All the other optional things that go into /mnt/us do not matter to doing OTA updates. For those it could be "developer's choice" - it might only matter when the developer updates their own things.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #2598
Ste_95
Ste_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Hello guys. I tried updating my Kindle Keyboard from 3.3 to 3.4 without succeding, always getting a U007 error. So tried to update the jailbreak to 0.11, which worked. Anyway, I tried again to update the Kindle firmware but no way, always same error. Apart from the jailbreak, the only other thing installed is the screensaver hack. I even tried to rename the documents and system folders to documents.back and system.back and turning off Wi-Fi, as advised here, but nothing...

From what I have read in this topic, there seems to be no way to update to 3.4 without uninstalling both the jailbreak and screensaver hack, is it true?

Thanks!
Ste_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #2599
grapherd
grapherd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
check your /etc/uks, is it rename to /etc/uks.disable (from this post)?
if is, rename to /etc/uks, than everything fine
grapherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #2600
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1/qlob: No sqlite on legacy devices, AFAIR. And a PMS is waaay overkill, IMHO, but we've already been over this, what, two or three times already over the years? .

@Ste_95: No. If you get a U007 on an *official* update, it means your jailbreak is screwy. You probably still have one half-installed. If you uninstalled it, try rebooting your device. if you didn't, you'll have to track down which one you had and uninstall it, before upgrading to the latest one. (And, no, if you had a sane jailbreak installed, you wouldn't have to uninstall it for the official update).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #2601
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1/qlob: No sqlite on legacy devices, AFAIR. And a PMS is waaay overkill, IMHO, but we've already been over this, what, two or three times already over the years? .
It's got to be at least 4 or 5 now... xD
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #2602
Ste_95
Ste_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheeseSte_95 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
if you didn't, you'll have to track down which one you had and uninstall it, before upgrading to the latest one.
Thanks NiLuJe. Does the installed version of the jailbreak matter, or I can use the uninstaller from the latest version? Same question for the screensaver hack. And if matters, how can I know what version is installed?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #2603
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Ste_95: In the case of these hacks, yes, you can (in fact, you should) use the uninstaller from the latest version. (And you don't need to uninstall the SS hack to upgrade it, that's just for the JB, BTW).

As we said, for these hacks, there's an info.txt dropped in the appropriate folder (linkjail, linkss, linkfonts, usbnet) with the dogtag of the hack .
Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #2604
Ste_95

Quote:
@Ste_95: In the case of these hacks, yes, you can (in fact, you should) use the uninstaller from the latest version. (And you don't need to uninstall the SS hack to upgrade it, that's just for the JB, BTW).
Thanks again for your help. I tried uninstalling the jailbreak (but leaving the screensaver hack, as you said), but firmware 3.4 keeps failing with a U007 error. Is there something else I can try, apart from a factory reset?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #2605
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_95 View Post
Thanks again for your help. I tried uninstalling the jailbreak (but leaving the screensaver hack, as you said), but firmware 3.4 keeps failing with a U007 error. Is there something else I can try, apart from a factory reset?
Doing a "factory reset" will generally do more harm than good.

You should be able to find posts here within the past two days about what U007 means.
List posts by NiLuJe and geekmaster.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #2606
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ste_95: If you're sure you don't have/never had any other jailbreak installed, try after a reboot. If you're not sure, try uninstalling said jailbreak(s) after a reboot. (See the pattern there? Reboot ^^)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-23-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #2607
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I just successfully updated to FW 3.4 without removing my SS hack (v. 0.24.N) or my jailbreak (v. 0.9.N).

Ste_95, if you're getting U007, try restarting your Kindle before uninstalling anything.

EDIT: Oops; The Master got to you before I did.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #2608
Ste_95

Quote:
@Ste_95: If you're sure you don't have/never had any other jailbreak installed, try after a reboot. If you're not sure, try uninstalling said jailbreak(s) after a reboot. (See the pattern there? Reboot ^^)
Only installed the jailbreak, the SS hack and customized the icon through an autorun.inf file (which, in fact, is not installed). Tried to:
  • Use the jailbreak uninstall file once again, reboot and try to install the 3.4 firmware => nothing
  • Copy the 3.4 firmware, unplug the Kindle from computer, switch off Wi-Fi, reboot then update Kindle => nothing
  • Waving at the Kindle, whispering secret spells with half-closed eyes, hoping that no U007 would show => nothing

Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #2609
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ste_95:

Never reboot with a custom .bin. I meant try the 'Update our Kindle' link after a reboot, not reboot while the .bin sits there on the Kindle .

Also, since you used a funny third-party to install your stuff: do you have a linkjail folder on the root of your Kindle (alongside linkss)?

Also, what do you mean, exactly, by 'nothing'?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #2610
grapherd
grapherd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
@Ste_95: please ssh to your kindle and check "/etc/uks"
you may view this blog before and change it to "/etc/uks.disable"

just change it back to "/etc/uks" and reboot, then you can update again

hope this well help you
grapherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet