Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Adobe Digital Editions and epub

Hi,

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread, but since I'm trying to download an EPUB format, I decided it should go here.

I am trying to download one of the free ebooks from eharlequin.com. One of the format choices it gives is epub, so I clicked on that, then a book came up asking if I wanted to open it with Adobe Digital Editions. I clicked on yes/ok. So Adobe Digital Editions opened, and the box that says Verfying Document pops up and has been stuck up there for the last hour. And Adobe Digital Editions seems like it's frozen too. I tried rebooting my computer and starting over, and the same thing happened. I don't know what I should do...PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
You can try to remove and reinstall ADE. I don't think you will need to re-register.

Do you know if the epub has DRM? Usually I assume it does but you can also try to save and open with Sony software or Calibre, just in case it doesn't have DRM.

Also, if you wanted to post the link I can try to open in ADE on my computer.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The one I tried was a DRM-free ePub. Your best bet, therefore, is to download it directly to your PC.

As a general rule, if you see .epub as the file extension in the download dialogue it is DRM-free and can be downloaded directly to your PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

I gave up on the EPUB and just saved the pdf to my computer, and then added the file to sony elibrary, and then moved it to my ereader.

What was wierd was when I clicked on download pdf format. It just opened up Adobe Reader, not Adobe Digital Editions like it is supposed to. Again, ADE seemed like it was frozen, because it wouldn't let me do anything else.

But oh well, the FREE ebook is now on my reader, so I'm happy! Thanks for your help.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
What was wierd was when I clicked on download pdf format. It just opened up Adobe Reader, not Adobe Digital Editions like it is supposed to.
That is because it is a DRM-free PDF. When you get a Secure Adobe download, the original file isn't a PDF or an ePub but a small control file that allows ADE to go get your encrypted ebook. For standard PDFs your browser is set to use Adobe Reader but for standard ePubs it will still use ADE (there are not many alternatives). Since ADE seems broken, your best bet is to download any DRM-free .epub without invoking ADE.
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!

AHA! I didn't realize that. I had thought it was ADE itself, but I just downloaded a library book and it worked fine. I'm still curious though why Epub didn't even work when I tried to open it with Sony ebook library, but oh well, at least it's on my pdf in some form.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you link us to this free ePub so we can try it please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://eharlequin.com/store.html?cid=1317

I just used that link and the free books there are DRM free. You can download them directly as the ePub have a .epub extension. And they will look a lot nicer on your 505 then will the PDF. If you need any help, feel free to PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yep. The epubs from the Harlequin anniversary give-away are DRM-free. I just downloaded them to my computer using "Save as..." and was able to open them just fine in Calibre. Tried importing the already downloaded DRM-free epubs to Adobe Digital Editions and that worked fine, too.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I downloaded several books in .epub format and it looks very nice on jetBook screen.
I put the font size - 18 in the setting.

Last edited by Kris777; 05-15-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Drag: Can't get 'em to open in ZuluReader.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I just downloaded the 'Sherlock Holmes Omnibus' from the MobileRead ePub eBook Uploads section. When I click on download, a window on my PC opens asking if I want to save the file and it only gives me ADE as the program to save it with.

So, I downloaded it and transferred it over to my Sony eBook Library and then onto my Sony 505. It seems to read okay but I'm not sure I have it in ePub format. Did I do something wrong?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
It seems to read okay but I'm not sure I have it in ePub format.
See the screenshot from FireFox, note that it says ".epub" on the filename and EPUB as the file type. FireFox has ADE associated with ePub files (Adobe does that as part of installing ADE), but when downloading over the web .epub files are always DRM-free EPUBs which can be downloaded directly (Save File). They can also be downloaded for you by ADE if you want. Or you can download then with the Sony eBook Library, see the 2nd screenshot. The Sony Library was under "Other" for me when I tried selecting it, but that may be because I have opened .epub files (right click) using the Sony Library on my desktop. You may have to find it explicitly.

Once on your desktop, you can copy EPUBs directly to your Sony Reader or transfer via the Sony eBook Library or Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firefox_epub.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	29673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firefox_epub2.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	29675  
Old 05-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks wallcraft
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote