Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Best of the Best of Fantasy Literature

If you like reading good Fantasy novels, you should definitely check out this site:

Take a stroll through any mega-bookstore, and you will be inundated by isles and isles of fantasy titles. A few will be great, some good and most, appallingly bad. Finding a good fantasy book is difficult, like sifting for gold among sand. But occasionally, you’ll find that rare nugget, that grain of gold to forever treasure. I find myself in a unique position as a "fantasy pundit", since I have read most of the fantasy books out there. I often find myself recommending the same books over and over. Tired of this, I decided to create a comprehensive list of "The Best". Tastes change from person to person, but I think most astute fantasy readers will agree that the books on my list stand out above the rest.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm always interested in people's "best" lists.

I'm not the biggest SF/Fantasy fan, but I do appreciate a well-conceived, well- written series. That being said, I read through his website and hit a road block in his "Top 25 Epic Fantasy" list. How is "Lord of the Rings" third? How is the series that's inspired every series after it third on the list? How is the series that's defined all of the various terminologies third? And the two series' that it's behind, neither is completed. How is the best fantasy series ever written behind two series' that aren't even finished yet?

I stopped reading right there. I may get back to it at some time (I've bookmarked it.) Like I said, I'm not the "the shaggy-haired kid standing in the corner of the high school hallway, muttering about a level 35 druid named Ragnoth", but still, let's give credit where credit's due.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Haha you didnt even get through #3, well to be honest with you I had suspicions at #1, and no doubt at #2. If the author of the website thinks that George R Martin is #1 (which many people simply can't read) and Robert Jordan (the worst crank of an author ever) is #2, you can stop there.

Also the Covenant series at #9 only has 6 books not 7 (discounting the latest, which is a seperate trilogy.

Ah well people are all different but RJ at #2?!?

If you want some good book lists, head on over to sffworld.com forums.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I'd say he should remove the order by numbers... he definitely doesn't give a bad overview of important fantasy sagas, but I agree that the orders don't seem right. I don't like R. Jordan too much, but well, I have to say I love A Song of Fire and Ice!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bahh I kept reading. Its Matthew Stover, NOT Michael, and if you are going to include series, why not Feist's Magician. Include all the Riftwar series.

Also for all the love of Tad Williams, what about the Otherland series (his absolute best).

Also how can one slam Goodkind, and not jordan?!? its the same series!?!

Also you shouldnt recommend books that you havent read aka harry potter series.

have i mentioned how his #2 author sucks? NoOne and I mean noone should recommend Jordan to be read by anyone. he's lower than low. He can't advance a plot. jordan is a 1 trick pony, who has pissed off almost all of his fans. DONT READ JORDAN heh.
Advert
Old 06-22-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I'd say he should remove the order by numbers... he definitely doesn't give a bad overview of important fantasy sagas, but I agree that the orders don't seem right. I don't like R. Jordan too much, but well, I have to say I love A Song of Fire and Ice!
Alot of people like Song of Fire and Ice. I couldn't get into it, but thats ok. I would have liked to seen some OSCard on his list. He did get the Covenant series high on the list which was good.

I should probably be a little nicer, but Jordan has disappointed me as no author ever has. After reading the first 5 or so, I was saying Jordan was the best writer ever. Then the lack of plot advancement with every book that came out drove me insane. i was having to download plot summaries so I could figure out what in the world was going on in the new books. Now I simply refuse to read him. He will never be finished with WoT and even if he is I won't be there The worst thing I have ever done is recommended a friend read RJ after I read the first 5. I apologize profusely every time I see him. Ok I will stop now on this thread.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well he did include Magician (see #19), didn't he? Otherland, a wonderful series probably also my favorite Tad Williams book, could be considered more SciFi than Fantasy by some. I have no clue why he would recommend a book he hasn't even read - so yes, strikethrough Potter.

Btw, if you want a good laugh, check out the reader comments on Jordan's Crossroads of Twilight...

I found "Crossroads of Twilight" to be like reading what a comatose person must feel. People talk and interact and stuff happens *around* you, but nothing really happens *to* you; you are left with little more than an unorganized blur of gray wash spread across your mind, and hours of your personal life gone into the mist never to return. God, to have those precious hours back. If only it were possible. Mr. Jordan has a degree in quantum physics, so perhaps he can devote himself to finding a way to give back the hours wasted on his pointless series to all of his (ex) fans. That would at least be useful!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath
I should probably be a little nicer, but Jordan has disappointed me as no author ever has. After reading the first 5 or so, I was saying Jordan was the best writer ever.
I think that's also where I stopped reading his novels and never looked back.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
volwrath
Guru

Those comments are GREAT! I can't believe a popular writer got 1.5 stars. ive never seen anyone half way decent with les than 3. You have to love it!! Thanks for the link. Made my night!!