Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Books that make you dumb

http://booksthatmakeyoudumb.virgil.gr/ is an interresting website that uses aggregated Facebook data about the favorite books among students of various colleges and plotted them against the average SAT scores at those schools, creating a tongue-in-cheek statistical look at taste and intelligence.

Some of the results, Lolita was favorite tome of the brightest students with an average SAT score of 1317. The lowest-scoring students liked the erotica author Zane, with an average score of 980. And strangely, the students who listed their favorite book as “The Bible” were smarter (1047) than those who said it was “The Holy Bible” (980).

Ironically, students who wrote “I don’t read” in the space for favorite books were only slots 14 from the bottom in terms of SAT scores, meaning that there were 13 other favorite books that theoretically made students “dumber” than not reading books at all.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
http://booksthatmakeyoudumb.virgil.gr/ is an interresting website that uses aggregated Facebook data about the favorite books among students of various colleges and plotted them against the average SAT scores at those schools, creating a tongue-in-cheek statistical look at taste and intelligence.

Some of the results, Lolita was favorite tome of the brightest students with an average SAT score of 1317. The lowest-scoring students liked the erotica author Zane, with an average score of 980. And strangely, the students who listed their favorite book as “The Bible” were smarter (1047) than those who said it was “The Holy Bible” (980).

Ironically, students who wrote “I don’t read” in the space for favorite books were only slots 14 from the bottom in terms of SAT scores, meaning that there were 13 other favorite books that theoretically made students “dumber” than not reading books at all.
It's always irritated me that people historically have associated being "dumb" -- as in incapable of speech -- with being unintelligent. Now, of course, it's an accepted use of the word ... and that irritates me even more.

As for the article, that is very interesting. It's been a long time since I took the SAT .... I do know that my score was over 1300 (because the local paper actually listed the names of all the students in the area that got a score over 1300), but I could not for the life of me tell you what my favorite books were at the time.

I was heavily into Azimov and Agatha Christie about then ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'd laugh, but I got a 1070 in the SATs.

But then when I took the GREs, I got a 1350 (with a verbal in the 97th percentile), so I'll pass those SATs off as a fluke

Interesting on the Bible/Holy Bible thing.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'd laugh, but I got a 1070 in the SATs.

But then when I took the GREs, I got a 1350 (with a verbal in the 97th percentile), so I'll pass those SATs off as a fluke

Interesting on the Bible/Holy Bible thing.
I got somewhere between 1000 and 1100 (I don't recall the exact number.) So, I guess you can laugh.

But, my son got 800 on his math at 740 (I think) on his verbal. So, my genes were saving some smarts to pass on to the kids.

Of course did you know they dropped the analogies?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I was heavily into Azimov and Agatha Christie about then ....

Er... Asimov.

I scored 1370 in irritating and unnecessary corrections.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I got somewhere between 1000 and 1100 (I don't recall the exact number.) So, I guess you can laugh.

But, my son got 800 on his math at 740 (I think) on his verbal. So, my genes were saving some smarts to pass on to the kids.

Of course did you know they dropped the analogies?

BOb
They did? Well that's not fair.

Congrats on your son kicking some SAT butt
Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
It's always irritated me that people historically have associated being "dumb" -- as in incapable of speech -- with being unintelligent. Now, of course, it's an accepted use of the word ... and that irritates me even more.

'tis not the only association that results in irritation ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I didn't take the SATs (we took the ACT's in Oklahoma). But... I wouldn't call it a good test of intelligence in general. Any more than GPA. I know a lot of very stupid students who have a high GPA. I'm honestly not quite sure how they manage to get good grades without ever learning anything, or even learning how to think! But they do.

There's... well... a ton of other problems with this guys work. He did another version with music.

I think in general most the results aren't terribly surprising (on either - the music list for the "dumb" was pretty insipid and brainless, but I know a lot of bright people who like some pretty stupid people) but it'd be hard to really back it up in any real way.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
IQ test scores measure one thing and one thing alone - how good you are at doing IQ tests. Their connection with actual "intelligence" is contentious, to say the least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
The SAT isn't even an IQ test. It's a "readiness for college/university" test. This is more of a "Books that are popular amongst the socioeconomically disadvantaged" list (note the prevalence of African-American authors on the low end), but I still found it interesting.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
The SAT isn't even an IQ test. It's a "readiness for college/university" test. This is more of a "Books that are popular amongst the socioeconomically disadvantaged" list (note the prevalence of African-American authors on the low end), but I still found it interesting.
I saw that as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
They did? Well that's not fair.

Congrats on your son kicking some SAT butt
Yes, I think SAT score averages where constantly lowering, so they actually made the tests easier to bring the average back up.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
I never took the SATs since my undergraduate education was in India but when taking the GRE, I had a discernible edge over my classmates given how much I read. Reading led to a stronger vocabulary and a very comfortable relationship with words and their meanings. Personally, I fully credit my GRE score of 1460 and my presence here, at a leading doctoral program in the US, to my reading habits.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I can't remember what any of my scores were except for an 81 on the FLEX, a 93 on the ABPN written, and a high enough MedCAT to get into University of Iowa.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I completed High School. I can't remember my score. Semantically speaking (so to speak), pretty much all books make me "dumb".

Cheers,
Marc (I don't care where you SAT; just where you sit)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote