Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Another K3 review

here is a review for Paul Thrurrott's windows supersite

http://www.winsupersite.com/mobile/kindle3.asp
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is clear that he is a Kindle lover. I don't have ap roblem with that but it would be nice to see some less biased reviews that contain a bit more information then what Amazon provided before the release. Hopefully we will get some more of those in the next week or so as the reviewers have a chance to play with the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It is clear that he is a Kindle lover. I don't have ap roblem with that but it would be nice to see some less biased reviews that contain a bit more information then what Amazon provided before the release. Hopefully we will get some more of those in the next week or so as the reviewers have a chance to play with the K3.
We - those of us who have the K3 and are using it every day - really are in a better position to provide information than "professional" reviewers. We can point out both its strengths and weaknesses and, nice though it is, it's certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

"Real world" users can give the most trustworthy info to prospective buyers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to say this but Paul is a real world user. That use the Kindle everyday.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We - those of us who have the K3 and are using it every day - really are in a better position to provide information than "professional" reviewers. We can point out both its strengths and weaknesses and, nice though it is, it's certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree with that, and to me the best review is the collection of posts from this site, Kindle Boards, etc.

As much as I hate Steve Jobs, not Apple mind you, I dislike any review that attacks another product as much as it reviews the subject product. Quite frankly the iPad is in another category of devices and really shouldn't be compared to ebook readers that were designed more or less solely for reading ebooks.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Agreed. I have found the reviews here to be far more interesting and helpful then most of what I have read online.

Paul is a real world user but also someone who loves the Kindle. I would hardly call his review objective. I have liked the reviews here where there has been a clear discussion of the K3 compared to the Nook or Sony and not just the K2.

I guess I would like to see more of the people here writing the professional reviews. I might actually believe that some of those reviews are accurate.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Ha, opening line:
Quote:
Amazon's Kindle has always been the best eBook reader on the market...
yeah, we're in for a totally unbiased review, lol.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Sorry to say this but Paul is a real world user. That use the Kindle everyday.
No need to be sorry to say it; that's very good to know!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Don't you just LOVE these reviews that state as fact that the K3 battery will last a month - when no one on the planet has had a K3 for more than a week or two?

Initial impressions are, indeed, important. But if a current review simply works in Amazon's press release material as "fact" with their "experience," then the review is probably going to be valueless for me.

We should ALL demand better from "journalists" and reviewers. There is a place for fan sites - but demand excellence and correctness when anyone publishes a "review" of anything.

Just Clint's opinions, of course ...
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Another area in which the Kindle makes the iPad look silly is battery life. Apple claims 9 to 10 hours of battery life for the iPad, whereas Amazon says the Kindle battery life is up to one month long, assuming wireless is off, or three weeks with the wireless on. I've only had the new version for several days, but I've yet to charge it, and the previous version routinely went longer than a week with the wireless on. Again, no contest.
I don't see the author presenting Amazon's battery estimates without qualification.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The article does appear to deliberately set out to denigrate the iPad by being extremely selective in its areas of comparison. That's rather a pointless exercise: one could equally well have made out the iPad to be the vastly superior device by choosing different point of comparison.

Personally I prefer to read a review which is balanced, not one where the reviewer appears to have made up his mind at the outset, and "cherry picks" points to present to back up that opinion. As someone has already said, a review which begins by saying "Amazon's Kindle has always been the best eBook reader on the market" can hardly be considered objective. Best device on the market? Best at what? Good at doing some things - undoubtedly. But simply "best" with no qualification? I must beg to differ.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life

Please let me say this I read Paul's reviews because they are never biased. If you will take time to read what he writes he tells it the way he sees it. He normally writes about MS software and hardware and tells it the way he sees it and he is not afraid of being knocked for what he writes. And he pays for everything that he uses and writes about except beta software. And he gets it the same way that I and many others do.
So let me say this he may not have written about the things that you found wrong but that does not make his review bias.
Thanks
Chuck
Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
So let me say this he may not have written about the things that you found wrong but that does not make his review bias.
Sorry to disagree, Chuck, but how else can one possibly describe the statement

Quote:
Amazon's Kindle has always been the best eBook reader on the market
other than as an expression of bias?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
cvkemp
Loving life

Well I will not say its the best or not until I have had time to use the one I have ordered. But I have played with most of them including K1and K2( not owned the kindle but just the ones from friends for about a week each). And so for I have to say I like the Kindle the best for my use. I know that everyone has there own needs so I will never say that you should buy or use anything, I tell the person to make up there own minds. And I will say that for my use xyz was my choice.
Chuck