Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
alexbfree
alexbfree began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unhappy Calibre can't send mail?

Hi
I seem to be unable to send mail from Calibre. I've tried with GMX and Gmail and I consistently get the same error when pressing Test email settings, then filling in details and pressing Test:

----
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/wizard/send_email.py", line 172, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 128, in sendmail
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtplib.py", line 307, in connect
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

Log:

----

I've checked both my addresses are added on Kindle settings, however this seems to be a mail sending issue, not a mail being rejected issue. I can send fine when I use the GMX or Gmail email clients.

I am on OS X Yosemite
Calibre 2.29.0
python version 2.7.9(Anaconda 2.2.0 (x86_64))

Can anyone out there help? This seems like a bug?
alexbfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your computer is blocking calibre from connecting to the mail servers, most likely an antivirus program or firewall.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 AM   #3
alexbfree
alexbfree began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something on your computer is blocking calibre from connecting to the mail servers, most likely an antivirus program or firewall.
I disagree.
(a) I don't have a firewall, or any anti-virus software.
(b) I can connect to the same mail servers just fine from the same computer & connection - e.g. from Apple Mail.

It's definitely a Calibre-specific issue.
alexbfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error means writing to the stderr stream on your computer failed with a broken pipe. That means either that for some reason your computer is failing to setup a working stderr stream or something is blocking calibre from writing to stderr. The most common explanation is the latter. If you believe it is not that, then you need to figure out why stderr is invalid on your computer.

On OS X >= 10.8, Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to make stdout/stderr non-functional for graphical apps - they no longer appear in Console.app. So calibre redirects them to the ASL service, see https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...p/site.py#L128

So either the redirection fails and the original stderr is broken or for whatever reason ASL is failing on your machine.

In any case, I have added some code to use an in memory buffer for the email test session instead of stderr, which will prevent that error from happening, regardless of how broken stderr on your machine is.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e1273ec5f9974c
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
Can't send email from Calibre 2.30

My hard drive had to be replaced & reinstalled Calibre 2.30 on a system running Windows 8.1. Am using Avast free antivirus & Windows Firewall.
In the Send From line I have entered my gmail address. Can't send email to any address, including my own. Get this error

IOError: Failed to send mail: error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')

Tried to run the Test but as soon as I do so get a "Test Not Responding" & only option is to close Calibre or wait. Waiting does nothing. Tried this several times using different test addresses but still "freezes."

I currently have my gmail account set to allow access to less secure sites. I can email books from Gmail itself but not from Calibre.

This function always worked before so not sure what's wrong. Before this happened was using McAfee's Firewall & never had a problem. Do not want to reinstall this program as it slows computer to a crawl. Seems like there use to be a use Gmail option but now only option is use Hotmail or GMX.

Not sure what to try next.

Last edited by seacity1; 06-17-2015 at 06:05 PM.
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

I tried sending from gmail by adding the following server settings. It still fails
I also tried running test again. It does not freeze. The test just closes & nothing happens at all. Test does not run

Send eMail from: myemail@gmail.com_address
Hostname: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 25
Password: correct google password
Encryptions: TLS

This is the full traceback & error

Starting job: Email #Girlboss to myemail@gmail.com
Connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 25)
Connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 25)

Sending failed...

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 43, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 124, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 128, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 308, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 283, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Retrying in 301 seconds...

Waiting 301 seconds before sending, to avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 25)
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 25)

Sending failed...

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 43, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 124, in sendmail
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Job: "Email #Girlboss to myemail@gmail.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 98, in __call__

Last edited by seacity1; 06-17-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You missed removing your email address a couple times.

Can you double-check the test emiai option? Needless to say, it should run.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Goofle will never act as a relay without authentication. Port 25 almost never accepts authentication because that is what every spammer in the world tries to do and it is completely insecure. You should one of the other ports (465 or 587).

Last edited by chaley; 06-18-2015 at 03:13 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
IIRC - Avast updates have been known to introduce outbound blocking of calibre, check its exclusion lists

Then check Windows firewall advanced outbound - if you sort the list on the Program column descending then calibre.exe, if present, would be near the top of the list. If it is there question is 'how come', I've always used the MS F/W and I've never had any spurious exclusions.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My settings that have worked for ever and a day for gMail:
Code:
Send eMail from: me@gmail.com
Hostname: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Password: correct google password 
Encryptions: TLS
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
seacity1
Zealot

Thanks! I changed the port to 587 instead of the Calibre default of 25. That seems to have solved the problem.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
KristaG
KristaG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle reader, Fire, Nook
I am also having trouble sending email through Calibre

I re-entered my live.com information in 3 successive versions of Calibre; consulted the FAQs and began a GMX account; put Calibre on my Norton AV ignore list; and still failed to send. My OS is the new Windows 10 upgrade, but I was having problems before with earlier versions. I'm a 56-year-old, semi-competent user, but not a programmer, so need some specific step-by-step help, please!

The messages for each of these in the latest version 2.35.0:

message when using GMX:

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 174, in test_email_settings
error: [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

Log:
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)

message when using Hotmail:

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 174, in test_email_settings
error: [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

Log:
connect: (u'smtp.live.com', 587)

connect: (u'smtp.live.com', 587)
© 2015 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United States)
KristaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The error messages still look like there is a firewall blocking Calibre access to the internet.

When you say you have told your AV to ignore Calibre are you talking about all the programs in the folder holding the Calibre binaries or just the main Calibre.exe program?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The error messages still look like there is a firewall blocking Calibre access to the internet.

@KristaG - try checking your Firewall->Allowed apps settings - calibre should be there

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1232
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	141311

FWIW I did not have to do anything after the upgrade, the settings were established automagically. IIRC there were entries in the Windows 10 upgrade log about what firewall settings were made.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Toreth
Toreth began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST
I've been having the same problem. I've tried different emails but still can't get it to work. I've tried to be sure that my firewall is allowing the program. Here is my error message for gmx:

File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 135, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 617, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, 'Authentication credentials invalid')

Log:
reply: '220 gmx.com (mrgmx002) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: gmx.com (mrgmx002) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
connect: gmx.com (mrgmx002) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
send: 'ehlo [192.168.1.10]\r\n'
reply: '250-gmx.com Hello [192.168.1.10] [209.6.119.163]\r\n'
reply: '250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: '250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: '250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: gmx.com Hello [192.168.1.10] [209.6.119.163]