Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Penge
Penge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Okay, thanks for all the advice.

I tested with another SD card and still a bit slow, but doesn't lock up.

I have some bad Epubs that I removed, and that helped.

Still not happy about the screen's response; seems very slow (all this long press business) compared to my Ipaq touch screen. If I peel up the screen protector at the bottom where the tab is (loose anyway) and touch the screen, it's definitely more responsive but still not as fast as I'd like it to be.

I tried txt files and html files and my Glo can't read either. It opens them as though it's working and then all I get is blank page after blank page.

Does anybody know why Kobo Glo has a problem reading txt/html files? Is there somewhere I should be placing them? I read about creating a document folder and I tried that but still they just appear as blank pages.
Penge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penge View Post

Still not happy about the screen's response; seems very slow (all this long press business) compared to my Ipaq touch screen. If I peel up the screen protector at the bottom where the tab is (loose anyway) and touch the screen, it's definitely more responsive but still not as fast as I'd like it to be.
Remember, if it is a screen that is using infrared beams [hey people the Glo is an infrared itsn't it -- I know the new Kindle isn't and they're meant to use the same screen?] then there must be a clear line of sight across the flat screen surface for the beams to clearly reach the detectors on the other sides. If you are pealing up the edge on the bottom of the screen you are interfering with the beam-line going to the top of the screen.

Now, go and take that nasty little piece of clear plastic and burn it so you will no longer be tempted to use it. It doesn't need you and you or your Kobo certainly don't need it.

As to speed my Touch seems to take about 1/2 a second to go to a new page which is much, much slower than my LCD laptop. However, it is perfectly fine for reading and much quicker than turning physical pages.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penge View Post
Penge, again, that's not a reading screen protector. It's just to protect the screen during shipping. It does make the screen significantly less responsive, and you need to throw it away.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
Now, go and take that nasty little piece of clear plastic and burn it so you will no longer be tempted to use it. It doesn't need you and you or your Kobo certainly don't need it.
I wonder, does that apply to those after market screen protectors as well?

The protector supplied on shipping does definitely affect operation of the reader and, as has been already pointed out, is there to protect the screen during shipping only. I must admit I also hesitated to remove it as I didn't want the screen on my new reader to get scratched, but the reader was more responsive when I removed it.

The latest firmware (2.3.1) seems to have negatively afftected touch performance (it now seems to get 'stuck' every 3rd or 4th page) but that's another issue - although I think I may have overcome this by using a slightly different touch gesture (i.e. using a slight right to left swipe starting at the right hand edge and staying within the right hand third of screen rather than just a touch - left to right starting from the left edge and within the left third for going backwards). It still gets stuck occasionally but far less than before.

Last edited by BrainDead; 01-04-2013 at 04:43 AM.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #20
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDead View Post

I wonder, does that apply to those after market screen protectors as well?
I would say so -- totally unnecessary. Fingers don't scratch the screen and if you want to carry it in a bag or something then using some sort of case would be better than a sheet of plastic.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #21
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
if you want to carry it in a bag or something then using some sort of case would be better than a sheet of plastic.
Agreed and that's exactly what I have done, bought an after market leather case. Still worried about catching it with a ring though. The other thing to consider about those after market protectors is that they are usually glossy and introduce at least some glare to an otherwise pretty much glare free screen.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote