Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post Sony Reader Valentines Special ... with a little something extra? (and is D&B back?)

Sony's got a new Valentine's Day deal, but could it contain a clue of something new to come?

Those of you who are on the Sony's eBook Store newsletter (still featuring "Connect" in its name and title ) will know that Sony has announced a new Valentine's Day special.

$299.99 gets you a PRS505 (once they're off back-order, anyway), a bundle of 14 Harlequin novels, and the usual stuff we know about, plus ...

Here's the something new: careful reading of the advert and product listing pages reveals that this deal includes a "stylish 'Cross Your Heart' protective cover from SkinIt."

A quick and dirty search of SkinIt's website reveals no trace of a cover for PRS505 nor Sony Reader. But it stands to reason that if they're making the things for Sony to bundle, they'll sell them on their own eventually, right?

As an extra added bonus for those who are still bummed about not being able to get in on last Valentine's Day's special edition Dooney & Bourke Reader: because I'm (sometimes) an observant sort, I noticed that there are links on the product listing page for special edition D&B covers for the 505 in Black and Brown, each with simulated crocodile texturing and a matching key-chain for a piddlin' $149.99. I don't know how long they've been there, but I haven't seen them mentioned here, so it probably hasn't been too long.

The shape of the key-chain reminds me of one of those old style soda can pulls (for those who remember when they came off), but hey, what I know about fashion wouldn't fill a thimble, so there you go.

To me, the most interesting bit in all this is the possibility, probability to my mind, that SkinIt will begin offering skins for the Reader. They have a very wide variety of designs in all sorts of genres from sports to colleges to comic book characters. Something for lots of people, if not quite everyone.

So, has anyone been holding out for the Harlequin bundle and now will run out and buy a Reader? How about the new D&B covers? Anyone on a rampage for one of those?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Those D&B covers are nice!
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are nice, aren't they. I mean to include them before, but forgot. Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRSDBB08.png
Views:	584
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	9485   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRSDBR08.png
Views:	549
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	9486  
Old 01-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On the other hand, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I saw the valentines covers... my desk would've been a mess...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, it is for Valentine's Day, Steve, what did you expect?
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hey, I *LIKE* the pink cover!! Wish/hope they'll do a pink skin for the Kindle which I haven't received yet.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Well, it is for Valentine's Day, Steve, what did you expect?
Hey, I'd be cool with a glossy Fire Engine Red... or Chocolate Brown... sent with a free download of the latest Victoria's Secret catalog... (Damn... it's still not color!)
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Fine for the jacket well...almost but how can anyone concentrate on reading with the bezel of the device being that colo(u)r? With eink, the darker the better.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Maybe they'll have a black one just for you, Yvan!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Maybe they'll have a black one just for you, Yvan!
We'll see that when they sell at my local Sony store in Canada. For the mean time my 500 does the job pretty well.

BTW I'm reading Steve Jordan's "Sol". Excellent fiction.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Ten-coo.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Quote:
How about the new D&B covers? Anyone on a rampage for one of those?
WOW! $110 (USD) more then the Sony leather cover. What makes it worth that much, the key chain? Of course the black Sony leather cover is not available so I think I'll buy the M-edge cover.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this skin actually something that can be removed? It looks awful to me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't see any mention or photo of an outer cover. Sure, the metal stays relatively scratch-free, but the screen isn't going to last long without the purchase of a full cover.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this skin actually something that can be removed? It looks awful to me.
I believe so, SkinIt makes covers like these for lots of things. Ah, here we go, from their homepage: "residue free removal and air bubble free application." The answer would seem to be "yes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyparrot View Post
WOW! $110 (USD) more then the Sony leather cover. What makes it worth that much, the key chain?
Well the "D" is $50 and the "B" is another $50, but they throw in the "&" for only $10 more.