Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
K3 lighted cover problem

I dropped my k3, and it fell out of the lighted cover (which hadn't given me any problems before then), and now, when I turn on the lighted cover, the kindle has to be pressed against the contacts for the light to work. Amazon (bless them!) responded to my asking about this by sending me a new lighted cover.. and then a second one just to check when the problem persisted. When I talked to them about it today, they offered to send me a new kindle, because there might be something wrong with the contacts in the kindle itself.

I usually fold the front flap of my lighted cover back behind the kindle, so I can read one-handed. an on-line friend suggested that this might be the cause of the problem... although since I still have the problem with a brand-new cover, the issue isn't with the cover being pulled out of shape so much as it might be with the contacts in the kindle itself being pulled out of shape.

Has anyone else had a problem with the lighted cover? and if so, is folding the cover back the issue? Because if it is, I'll just junk the lighted cover, and get a plain one and a clip on book light. (did they resolve the issue with the non-lighted covers draining the battery?)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have a lighted cover on my K3, have always bent the cover all the way back, and have never had an issue.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with the lighted cover?
Yes I have had it. It's easy to lift up the Kindle at an angle from the attached jacket, resulting in metal bending and an intermittent electrical contact. Then you have to be very careful to ever so slightly and gently bend the contact back; otherwise, as once happenned to me, a contact can break off of the jacket. The jacket was replaced under warranty, although I'd be the first to say Amazon had no obligation to do so.

I now am on my third jacket after paying just once; the first was replaced by a lighted jacket because of the non-lighted issue you mentioned, and the second was replaced because of the mentioned breakage.

In recent weeks, my jacket light, which I use a lot, has been working perfectly.

I usually bring my Kindle with me when I go places, including my daily multi-vehicle transit commute. That probably makes these kinds of events a lot more likely to happen to me than to someone whose Kindle never leaves their home.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I have a lighted cover on my K3, have always bent the cover all the way back, and have never had an issue.
That is the way I use my lighted cover as well and haven't had any problems either.
ucfgrad93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use mine that way, too.

If a new cover is exhibiting the same problem, that suggests that the problem is with the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I use the lighted cover, and bend it all the way back to read one handed, and have never had a problem. Furthermore the Amazon page for the cover has a picture that shows a model using it this way (not one of the customer-submitted pictures; this is one of the pictures Amazon put up in the first place.) So it's intended to be used this way, and you aren't using it wrong or anything.

I agree with Harry--the problem is probably with the contacts inside the Kindle. I think you should take Amazon up on their offer to send a new one. They are very good at making this convenient and as painless as possible.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
That is the way I use my lighted cover as well and haven't had any problems either.
me too - I bend it back , secure it with the elastic, have never had a problem
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I love my lighted cover. I've used it daily for 1.5 years, bending it back, and no problems.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
I have used the lighted cover on the K3 ever since it came out and use it as you do, and never had any problems. Glad to hear amazon has been so co-operative.
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Museman
Museman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard K3 3G
It never occurred to me that you could bend the cover back, however I am relatively new to the Kindle and the lighted cover. It seems to me that bending the cover back 180 degrees might put some stress on the copper tabs, which in addition to eventually weakening the tabs is apt to stress the Kindle itself. I already had a tab break off of my lighted Kindle cover (the non-sliding tab).

A great many people have had problems with the Amazon Kindle lighted leather cover and there's a thread for it in Amazon Discussions:

Kindle cover with light breaks easily

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cd/t/FxNZS2...9AG6MBZQ535K/8

There is a lot of variety of experiences in the thread. There are two specific strategies mentioned for preventing problems, one being to apply sticky backed velcro to the case and the back of the Kindle in order to keep the Kindle from moving relative to the case and either breaking the copper contacts or causing damage to the Kindle. The other strategy is to buy the Smack Dab clip accessory (currently $3.75), which likewise secures the Kindle relative to the case:

http://www.amazon.com/Smak-Dab-Cover...6732867&sr=8-1

Myself, I'm awaiting a replacement lighted case, but in the meantime I bought a 4 piece bundle for about $17 shipped off ebay for my Kindle Keyboard, and I kind of like it. It includes an external 3x AAA light, case, pouch and screen guard. I also have a 9 LED 3x AAA flashlight that when positioned with velcro makes a very nice beam, and the spectrum of the light is very pleasing with the Kindle. I found the lighted cover's light to be not so great because of the uneven distribution of light on the screen. I may use it for on the go, I'll see.
Museman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just recently got a lighted case for my KK and a few times, while using the light, the Kindle has frozen/rebooted. I've just ordered 2 of the Smak-dab clips to ensure preventing any hinge movement. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I always use it with the cover folded back, and usually when the light is on, I am lying in bed holding the Kindle over my head.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondelfin View Post
I have used the lighted cover on the K3 ever since it came out and use it as you do, and never had any problems. Glad to hear amazon has been so co-operative.
Same here. Always folded back and no problems. Pretty sure it's designed for that use.

I did drop my Kindle, in the lighted cover, on it's edge a few months ago. One of the hinge contacts on the cover bent slightly. I gently used some pliers to straighten it (praying that I wouldn't stress the metal to the point of breaking) and haven't had any other problems since.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My clips arrived, and I feel certain they will keep the Kindle from shifting, even slightly, while attached to those hooks. I never liked the concept that those 2 little hooks would hold the Kindle securely. I resisted, and only got the cover when I was able to get it for $25 with special offers. Now that I have a nice matching red skin on the front of the Kindle, I am loathe to put it in a different cover where I won't see the pretty skin. So hopefully I will feel comfortable with the clips. I'll try the light starting tonight and see if I have any more issues.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
My clips arrived, and I feel certain they will keep the Kindle from shifting, even slightly, while attached to those hooks. I never liked the concept that those 2 little hooks would hold the Kindle securely. I resisted, and only got the cover when I was able to get it for $25 with special offers. Now that I have a nice matching red skin on the front of the Kindle, I am loathe to put it in a different cover where I won't see the pretty skin. So hopefully I will feel comfortable with the clips. I'll try the light starting tonight and see if I have any more issues.
Could you post an image of your set-up?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-01-2016 at 12:00 PM.