Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
PRS 650 with official case a bit unwieldy

I dont know about you guys. But I have been taking the prs 650 out of its case to read my books since I find it a bit tough to hold with the unit fit inside.

Folding the cover back does not help much since a find it a bit bulgy and bulky.

Balance since to be off.. a bit top heavy maybe? weight does not seem to be evenly distributed.

Maybe it will give in at some point?

or are you folks with other sony readers taking the reader in and out of the case?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes, it seems a bit heavy with both, I've got used to it though. I either let it sit against something and hold it up or I hold it folded back by the right bottom corner with my pinky running under it, seems to work well.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
flyingpostman
flyingpostman began at the beginning.

I'm the opposite, I couldn't get comfortable holding it without the case as I've been doing with my 505 the last year. The case allows you to hold it one handed (with the left hand) as the open cover provides stability. Not to mention I'm just nervous about dropping the thing without a case.
flyingpostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
Yes, it seems a bit heavy with both, I've got used to it though. I either let it sit against something and hold it up or I hold it folded back by the right bottom corner with my pinky running under it, seems to work well.
+1
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpostman View Post
I'm the opposite, I couldn't get comfortable holding it without the case as I've been doing with my 505 the last year. The case allows you to hold it one handed (with the left hand) as the open cover provides stability. Not to mention I'm just nervous about dropping the thing without a case.
I totally agree. Having the case on and folded back makes the reader a lot easier to hold. There is not enough space on the bezel to get a decent grip.

And to all of you taking your reader out of the case (a sleeve is NOT a case) and reading with a naked reader, the risk to your reader becoming damaged should you drop it is greater. The risk should someone put something on it when it sits on the table naked is greater. So if you want to risk your reader, great, remove it fromt he case everytime you want to use it. But do not come back on MR crying that you broke your reader because you took it out of the case or never even bought a case for it because you felt a sleeve was good enough. A sleeve is useless. A case is not. Most sleeves will not fit the reader in a case. So forget the sleeve and get a case and never read with a naked reader unless you are waiting for your case to be delivered.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I must agree with flyingpostman and JSWolf
A few weeks ago my almost three years old 505 case broke and I found it very uncomfortable to hold it "naked". I immediately bought a replacement cover, Tuff-Luv. Although it is rubbish in comparison to Sony's cover. Still better than nothing.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And to all of you taking your reader out of the case (a sleeve is NOT a case) and reading with a naked reader, the risk to your reader becoming damaged should you drop it is greater.
I'm curious: do you classify the official Sony cases, as cases or sleeves? I'm confused.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I'm curious: do you classify the official Sony cases, as cases or sleeves? I'm confused.
I wouldn't classify them as either..they're covers. a case is a box in my opinion, like a iphone case, which encloses the device all around except the front. A sleeve is a a purse like thing where you put the device in but have to take it out to read.

It's more like a cover since you open it like you would open a book cover to be able to read.

I too prefer the cover.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
flyingpostman
flyingpostman began at the beginning.

Good points made above. While the 650 is nice and small, the bezel on the bottom is so thin it makes it harder to hold with one hand. It is lighter however, which is nice.
flyingpostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpostman View Post
Good points made above. While the 650 is nice and small, the bezel on the bottom is so thin it makes it harder to hold with one hand. It is lighter however, which is nice.
It's very light. LOL When it was delivered by the mailman, in a big box, since I also ordered the cover, I first thought they had only sent the cover since it felt so light. When I opened it I saw straight away that the box for the reader was way smaller then the one for the PRS 600. And when I opened it, it was beautiful, way smaller and way lighter then the PRS 600.
Makes me wonder how small the PRS 350 is since I was first planning to order that one, but changed my mind, not wanting to go back to a smaller screen.

I did go back to the standard cover instead of the light cover and ordered a Mighty Bright light instead, since I thought the light on the lightcover for the 600 was a bit too dim to my taste.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cases or better covers. Cover makes more sense.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
So what constitutes a sleeve?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
So what constitutes a sleeve?
Something like that
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I totally agree. Having the case on and folded back makes the reader a lot easier to hold. There is not enough space on the bezel to get a decent grip.

And to all of you taking your reader out of the case (a sleeve is NOT a case) and reading with a naked reader, the risk to your reader becoming damaged should you drop it is greater. The risk should someone put something on it when it sits on the table naked is greater. So if you want to risk your reader, great, remove it fromt he case everytime you want to use it. But do not come back on MR crying that you broke your reader because you took it out of the case or never even bought a case for it because you felt a sleeve was good enough. A sleeve is useless. A case is not. Most sleeves will not fit the reader in a case. So forget the sleeve and get a case and never read with a naked reader unless you are waiting for your case to be delivered.
Your last line does not make any sense. Is a device immune to all damages just because one has a case on order?
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The cover/case (not sleeve) for the reader will do two things. It will help protect the reader from damage and it will make it easier to hold when reading. Now why would anyone want a sleeve that does nothing for the reader when you have it out to read?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote