Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
Recommendations for Character-driven SF/F Novels?

Hi Folks,

The last few novels I've picked up have been duds, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

I gravitate toward fantasy, but Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books (SF) are among my favorites, so I'm game to try character-driven SF, too. Action, adventure, mystery, snarky heroes... all loves of mine. I definitely prefer lands far, far away to urban earth-based stuff.

Any reading suggestions?

Thanks!
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
You might want to give 'Ringworld' by Larry Niven a try.
It starts on earth, but in no time you're on your way to a world lightyears away from it.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I'd definitely recommend anything by Peter F Hamilton. I loved his Fallen Dragon and have now started on the Night's Dawn Trilogy. The first one "The Reality Dysfunction" is epic in scope. I can't wait to read the rest.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Here's a list I found at Amazon by googling:

http://www.amazon.com/Character-driv...m/7SA9H3QSIRO3

and a topic at Librarything:

http://www.librarything.com/topic/49258
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. One of my all-time fav books, and very character-driven. The sequel is a little more outer-spacy, but I like the first one better.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
Thanks for the recommendations, folks! Not that browsing the paperbacks carousels at the library isn't a recipe for winners, but you know...
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
1.) "More Than Human" - Theodore Sturgeon

2.) "A Canticle For Lebowitz" - Walter M. Miller, Jr.

3.) "Dune" - Frank Herbert

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Joe Abercrombie's First Law series has a lot of interesting characters, and I enjoyed it immensely.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Iain M. Banks' 'Culture' novels are entertaining reads - although I prefer the earlier ones to the more recent ones.

Last edited by Sparrow; 12-30-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Wizard of Earthsea, Left Hand of the Darkness by Ursula LeGuin.
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Dang, I wish you guys would quit reminding me of all the books I need to re-read! Sheesh!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For character-driven SF, I've got to go with Mike Resnick. Ivory and Santiago would be at the top of this list, but the Penelope Bailey trilogy (Soothsayer/Oracle/Prophet) and The Dark Lady are good, too. Plenty of galaxy-spanning action, adventure & mystery, and nary a word of technobabble in the bunch.

And I think pretty much everything is available at Fictionwise (where you can read reviews, and the first chapter or so for free):
Ivory
Santiago
The Dark Lady
Soothsayer

Last edited by curtw; 12-30-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
I'll second More Than Human. Also Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I recommend Robin Hobbs. She writes very good character based fantasy. I've read Assassin's Apprentice and Ship of Magic and I am just starting Royal Assassin. The normal suggestest reading order is the published order because they all take place in the same world. Just not all linked together.

Farseer
1. Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
2. Royal Assassin (1996)
3. Assassin's Quest (1997)

Liveship Traders
1. Ship of Magic (1998)
2. The Mad Ship (1999)
3. Ship of Destiny (2000)

Tawny Man
1. Fool's Errand (2001)
2. The Golden Fool (2002)
3. Fool's Fate (2003)

Soldier Son
1. Shaman's Crossing (2005)
2. Forest Mage (2006)
3. Renegade's Magic (2007)

Rain Wild Chronicles
1. The Dragon Keeper (2009)
2. Dragon Haven (2010)
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
For character driven, I'd give The Dresden Files (Urban Fantasy) or EE Knight's Vampire Earth (SF) a shot.

Both of those follow a main hero through all their trials and tribulations. Dresden's a wizard private eye. Valentine's a soldier at war. They both have the snarky main characters, but they take place on Earth.

You can also try Simon R Green's the Nightside series, for Dresden in a world that isn't Earth.

You can also try Malazan Book of the Fallen for a hard fantasy. Or Richard K Morgan's The Steel Remains. Glen Cook's Black Company has also been highly regarded by other members of the forum.

Or, you could mix everything together and check out John Meaney's Bone Song. It's part mystery/police procedural with a healthy dose of dark scifi and fantasy thrown in.

For more lighter, almost satirical takes on the genre give a look at Terry Brook's Landover series. I'd also suggest Terry Pratchett.

No one here's suggested Hyperion either, I think that's a pretty strong character driven set. But it's not among my favorites. Maybe some one else here that enjoyed it more could pipe in.

And now that you have more answers than you needed..enjoy the reading!!

Last edited by jaxx6166; 12-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote