Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
How to read a large O'Reilly epub3 book

Hi,
This may be useful to those of us still running the PRS-650 and using PRS+
The background is I use my Sony PRS-650 to read technical books travelling to and from work by train. I find its size, battery life (fingers crossed) and eink screen to be better for commuting reading than my larger Samsung tablet.
Now for the story:
I took advantage of a recent offer from O'Reilly Books and bought an ebook on Software Requirements. I downloaded the epub version onto my PC and then sideloaded to my Sony PRS-650.
Reading this book on the Sony was a dreadful experience - slow to load and turn pages, crashing when I tried to go back to a previous chapter or just freezing.
So I checked the file size - 20MB! and talked to one of the developers at work who said size could be a problem for a low power ereader. As a check, I uploaded the epub file onto my large Samsung tablet and read the book using the Mantano ereader software - no problems, so this pointed to the file size as the most likely cause
I then split the epub (using the ePubSplit plugin for Calibre) into 5 smaller epubs with the largest being 6MB and downloaded these to the Sony.
This improved the loading speed and page turns, but I still got some freezes and crashes. So I did some more digging on the Internet and found that from early 2013 O'Reilly Books had switched all their books to the epub3 format. I could not confirm that the PRS-650 has problems with epub3 files but it seemed a reasonable assumption.
I then checked Calibre's epub -> epub conversion and found the output would be epub2-ish. I put the 5 smaller epubs through Calibre's epub->epub conversion (targeted for Sony eReader).
The 5 epub file sizes shrank by 50% so the largest is now 3MB. The true test was downloading the new versions of the 5 smaller epubs and then reading them. Speed is good, freezes are not happening, looks good so far (1 day).
It is a nuisance having 5 files instead of 1 - However I did not have to buy a new tablet or ereader.

Cheers
Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Crap! I noticed a few days ago that most of my books were updated within the last year, and re-downloaded them. I guess I have the EPUB3 versions now. Thanks for the info.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PRS-650 uses a rather old version of Adobe's RMSDK (mobile reading software). More modern devices will probably do a lot better with the books.

The total size of an ePub file really shouldn't matter, because only one "flow" (normally a chapter) at a time is loaded into memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PRS-650 uses a rather old version of Adobe's RMSDK (mobile reading software). More modern devices will probably do a lot better with the books.

The total size of an ePub file really shouldn't matter, because only one "flow" (normally a chapter) at a time is loaded into memory.
True, what really counts is the internal segment size which should be <260K for Sony x50 eReaders (calibre can do this for you)...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
True, what really counts is the internal segment size which should be <260K for Sony x50 eReaders (calibre can do this for you)...
I've found that page turns really slow down towards the end of 260K files on my PRS-T1, although it doesn't crash. It becomes a real nuisance. Fortunately I was able to find reasonable section breaks to make the files smaller.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Confirming what others have already said, once individual files are broken up correctly within the epub, I'm betting you can then restore the book into just one epub and your reader will handle it just fine.

I've opened up books and have seen a few where it consists of one HUGE html file. That will choke any ereader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
More modern versions of the RMSDK (Adobe's mobile ePub reader) have far fewer problems with large flows. Unfortunately Sony still use a pretty old version of it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Thanks for this information. I noticed that Calibre had automatically set the file size to this limit (260K) when I told it the output for the ePub to ePub conversion would be a Sony ereader but I did not know why and this explains it.

Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
More modern versions of the RMSDK (Adobe's mobile ePub reader) have far fewer problems with large flows. Unfortunately Sony still use a pretty old version of it.
The same is true of my PocketBook 902 9.7" reader. It's my preferred device for technical reading, and it's not going to be updated again. If these new versions feel slow, I'll have to dig through my backups to maybe find the old versions of the EPUBs (or just read the PDFs).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote