Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
objectman
objectman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Replacing my new Kobo - again!

I don't know what's going on. My 1st Kobo just stopped working after about 2 months. I read heaps of books on it but then it just suddenly ... stopped working. No response from any button or reset switch / combo etc.

I called Kobo (internationally as I'm in Australia) and after 40 minutes a man answered the phone saying to return it to the shop and to give the shop a list of instructions on where to send it for servicing and who to phone etc. Not good.

I took it back and lied, saying he said to give me a replacement which they happily did. I can't be bothered waiting X months for them to "fix" it.

This new Kobo works for the most part, but when switching on, I get an ugly grey scraping image on the screen - like a bad photocopy before the books appear.

When pressing the next page button, it feels crunchy and sometimes doesn't work so I have to press a few times. A bit harder than I'd like to be pressing.

Other than that, I actually like it. But here in Oz I paid $200 for the Kobo. Sounds like it's much cheaper elsewhere. My mum really wants one for her international flight so I might buy a Kindle for myself and give her this machine - if it's not still clunky after I do a firmware upgrade.

Otherwise it's back to the shop I go - to get a replacement for my replacement.

Anybody know how I can try a firmware upgrade?
objectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi objectman, sorry you have had these issues.

What version of the firmware do you have currently? You can see the version in Menu > settings
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
objectman

Hi Sameer, Wow. That was quick. 1.4 (jun 27 2010) revision 1884 - how can I upgrade it?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I had a problem with my first one - it kept freezing when either turned off manually with the switch or when it turned itself off. I took it back and swapped it for another one and the new one works really well and does everything it is supposed to do. I guess some are just faulty, but would this be the same with most small electronic items? It is probably hard to check more than whether it works or not, other problems like faulty printed circuits don't always show in a simple "power on" test.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
objectman

I can read on the one I've got, so I might take it back just before the one year shop warranty expires. That way I can get a nice new one. If they still exist.The Kindle is clearly a better and cheaper machine, so I'll buy one of those for Mum.

Last edited by objectman; 09-18-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectman View Post
Hi Sameer, Wow. That was quick. 1.4 (jun 27 2010) revision 1884 - how can I upgrade it?
Hi Objectman, that's the latest version you have there, which fixed quite a few issues. There's a new update coming out soon with some fixes and features as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
objectman

Looking forward to it thanks Sameer. I love my Kobo, but I guess it was rushed out to compete with all the Kindles and iPads. I kunderstand that it's much cheaper to test with a live audience than a company Let us know when!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectman View Post
Looking forward to it thanks Sameer. I love my Kobo, but I guess it was rushed out to compete with all the Kindles and iPads. I kunderstand that it's much cheaper to test with a live audience than a company Let us know when!
Thanks objectman, will do. One thing though:

Production software is never meant as a test on live audiences.

If we have a beta, we ensure that it is clearly communicated that this is the case. The Kobo eReader software + firmware upgrade issues fell in two classes:

1. Thousands of people using the device on a daily basis found issues that we didn't, doing things we didn't think of, trying ePubs we never would have tried, etc.

2. There were some issues that we could not fix in time to hit our mass production date and some sensitive retail deadlines (Mother's Day in this case), and we decided to ship with them, based on providing an update asap following the launch which fixed the issues.

We will never knowingly release untested software unless in the case of a beta, in which case we will clearly communicate it

It's not ideal and we're trying to get better at both kinds of issues.