Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
tank4141
Enthusiast
tank4141 began at the beginning.

Exclamation New 16 hr. tablet reader Scam alert! post #26

Just saw this new reader on engadget. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about it. I'm thinking about ordering one just to play around with.
http://haleron.com/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=63

Thoughts anyone?
tank4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
What's you're main purpose for the device?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
The iLet Mini HAL looks interesting. At $199 I may have to give this a try. You can even get it with WinCE for an extra $25.

CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
tank4141
Enthusiast

I'd just use it as a reader. Also for reading comics.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Reasonable expectations of the technology. Nice form factor.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If I win the powerball I am so ordering one of these.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I might pick this one up just to play with it. There is no mention of what kind of reader software is installed but I know that there is an Android version of FBreader and Aldiko , if it is decent software, looks pretty sweet. I know I'll pass on the Windows CE option.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I might pick this one up just to play with it. There is no mention of what kind of reader software is installed but I know that there is an Android version of FBreader and Aldiko , if it is decent software, looks pretty sweet. I know I'll pass on the Windows CE option.
Katelyn,

You were reading my mind. I saw the ilet mini and it really reminds me of the JE100, but better and cheaper. However, I think I am about done with CE 6. I have been using Android and I like it. I have the Archos 5 Android Internet tablet, but I bought the hard drive one and it is too heavy for me to read. I think I am gonna take the plunge and get it. I just wish that there was a list of software and I wonder if Android Ocean will accept all of the Android apps.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wanted to add that these are the ereader apps I know that are on Android in addition to what Katelyn listed

ereader
word player

Ellen
Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Android is terrible, at least on the Archos 5IT. WinCE 6.0 might be a better option. But the resolution is not that great at 800x480, especially for reading. the reading apps that i was able to load on the Archos 5IT were really bad and getting Android File Manager to work was a royal pain. I personally think you would be better off with a Win7 tablet with higher resolution.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I placed an order but oh my goodness trying to make the payment is a nightmare. They are out of Medellin Columbia.

I tried to call VIGO (visa, mastercard payment) but I don't speak Spanish and the CSR didn't speak English enough to communicate with. Western Union...I got to the paternal/maternal name of recipient and was lost. I googled which goes first and found conflicting information. Netspend (pre-paid card you can pick up just about anywhere)... a bit of a PIA but may be how I end up paying. I hope it all goes well however I end up sending payment.

It will be an adventure if I can just get the money to them and they actually send me the device!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I placed an order but oh my goodness trying to make the payment is a nightmare. They are out of Medellin Columbia.

I tried to call VIGO (visa, mastercard payment) but I don't speak Spanish and the CSR didn't speak English enough to communicate with. Western Union...I got to the paternal/maternal name of recipient and was lost. I googled which goes first and found conflicting information. Netspend (pre-paid card you can pick up just about anywhere)... a bit of a PIA but may be how I end up paying. I hope it all goes well however I end up sending payment.

It will be an adventure if I can just get the money to them and they actually send me the device!
I am confused about the whole payment thing. The Netspend cards require a start up fee of 9.95 and I think each time you use it, there is a charge. Also it can take up to 10 business days before you receive the card. From what I can tell it is not a one time use type of thing and and it can incur monthly fees. I don't feel too good about it. This adds to the cost of ordering. I wish this could be paid via Paypal.

Ellen
Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
Katelyn
Addict

Yep, this may be too hard to deal with. I just read through the Netspend site. I did email Haleron about the difficulty in paying and asked them to contact me. I did mention that Paypal would be the way to go. I'll cancel the order if necessary.

Well, I got a reply in about 5 minutes. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Last edited by Katelyn; 02-26-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 AM   #14
tank4141
Enthusiast

Haha Katelyn, I ordered one too. They told me they would send an email w/ payment options but I haven't seen it yet. Why are you so down on win ce?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank4141 View Post
Haha Katelyn, I ordered one too. They told me they would send an email w/ payment options but I haven't seen it yet. Why are you so down on win ce?
I got an email within 1 minute so i would contact them.

In regard to Windows CE, I find the OS severely lacking in reader software.

Alreader. OK, so it's nice but it is impossible to configure without instructions. Unfortunately, the only instructions I can find have screenshots in Russian. I spent quite a bit of time trying to decipher the "tap zones" and gave up. Getting out of full screen mode takes an act of God. Just not for me.

Mobi. WAY past time for an update /makeover. It works great ut is very limited (no folders, no thumbnails, etc). I would like sometihng more robust... and for ePub.

Zulu. It is a work in progress but not there yete so untestable.

I haven't used Android. I haven't used CE version 6. But it's the software I'm looking at. If Android can deliver on page turns, etc, it offers the far superior choices for reader. IMHO.

Feel free to counter my views. I can always cancel my order (and I may if we can't work out a better way to pay).