Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Ars Technica: The e-book wars of 2010

Ars has an article, The e-book wars of 2010: displays and hardware, penned from CES. I am sceptical about low-cost hardware this year but Jon Stokes makes some good points, including:

Quote:
Both the Skiff and the Plastic Logic QUE were incredibly thin—about quarter of an inch or less. This thinness is made possible in part by the fact that both have flexible display substrates—Skiff's uses a foil substrate developed by LG, while Plastic Logic's uses a plastic substrate developed in-house. Both of these make for flexible displays, but of the two only the Skiff itself is physically flexible (you can actually bend the device a bit and it doesn't hurt it).
Quote:
I got a close-up look at Qualcomm's Mirasol, MEMS-based technology that I mentioned in my CES preview article. A Qualcomm rep showed me a static screen with a color picture on it, and I have to admit to being pretty disappointed.

I saw the screen in some good light, but color saturation was just too poor; the dpi also seemed quite low. It sort of looked like an old-timey lithograph; if the unit had featured not a magazine cover but a Union soldier holding a rifle, it would've been a dead ringer for a piece of Civil War memorabilia. OK, that's an exaggeration, but it did look unexpectedly dim and metallic.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Thanks for the link, wallcraft!

I now hold hope that 2010 might be the year that the size and color barriers are truly "broken"... that is, viewing Letter/A4 sized .pdf's in brilliant color!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
As usual, "meh."

I do concur that the reader space is practically in a "quantum foam" stage, but I also expect that's going to shake out very quickly. I also have an odd feeling this will actually help the market leaders (Sony, B&N and especially Amazon) as they have brand recognition, teams that can execute, etc.

And of course, we have the obligatory geek jab at single-purposed devices. At least he didn't parrot the "when Apple puts out their combination tablet and automatic flosser, it's game over."

Too bad about color eInk and Mirasol. I'd rather see good color tech come out in a longer time frame than crappy color in a rush.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
As usual, "meh."
I also have an odd feeling this will actually help the market leaders (Sony, B&N and especially Amazon) as they have brand recognition, teams that can execute, etc.
Definitely. All these new entrants and overall buzz is really helping to legitimize the market...but that won't help 90% of them in the long run-it will really favor the strongest established ecosystems.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I found this statement interesting...
Quote:
As far as contrast goes, Plastic Logic's screen definitely looks better than my Kindle DX
I wasn't expecting the screen quality to be as good on the Plastic Logic.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert