Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
So, what exactly is a 'Deal' on an eBook?

I guess what I mean primarily is: What is considered an eBook 'Deal' for the purposes of this forum?

Of course anything $Free is a 'Deal' and definitely should be posted.

But what about the higher price ranges?

I've been posting 'Deals' for the (US) Kindle in this forum, but haven't really understood what the parameters of a 'Deal' are.

So I would greatly appreciate some input &/or guidance here: What is the top price an eBook can have and still be qualified as a deal for the purposes of this forum? Or, is the merit of a 'Deal' based on how much it is discounted?

All input is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Alexia

Last edited by Xia; 11-06-2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: typo
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Simply whatever you personally think would be of interest to other MR members. There's no hard and fast definition of what a "deal" is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I usually use this equation to calculate if the price of the eBook is really a deal

If B is < 42, I consider it a deal.

But Harry's way of figuring this out is OK too.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What is the meaning of the variables in your equation?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I usually use this equation to calculate if the price of the eBook is really a deal

Um, I'm a little rusty, but... I think the Mice would approve.
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

B is a "Barrier" nominal. (as in "deal" barrier i.e. 42)
t = tax
pp = # of book pages
p = published ISBN #
A = Accepted retail price.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
Xia
Zealot

Quote:
B is a "Barrier" nominal. (as in "deal" barrier i.e. 42)
t = tax
pp = # of book pages
p = published ISBN #
A = Accepted retail price.

Well! Obviously I've come to the right place!

Gotta love the 'p' part especially. And the 'pp.'
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:

Unfortunately this doesn't take into consideration Geographical Restrictions of currency conversions...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
A 'deal' to me is something that isn't restricted to a certain device, or geographic region.

But the formula works as a substitute for that
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Unfortunately this doesn't take into consideration Geographical Restrictions of currency conversions...
Yes, of course. But this is based on the Hiegelfiegal Copenhagen convention of 1931. Which, as you know, allows for the Krieglmyer Interpretation of non-linear currency fluctuations based on geoplasma tunnel-states quantified hypermechanically on a tri-euclidean phase sphere.

I know this is controversial, but my data backs up its predictive value, as evidenced here
Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

it's about time we had some levity on some serious questions.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Yes, of course. But this is based on the Hiegelfiegal Copenhagen convention of 1931. Which, as you know, allows for the Krieglmyer Interpretation of non-linear currency fluctuations based on geoplasma tunnel-states quantified hypermechanically on a tri-euclidean phase sphere.

I know this is controversial, but my data backs up its predictive value, as evidenced here

I knew that!

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Actually, I think the question is answered by that little guy turning the wheel thingy. If he turns the wheel a small amount, it's just a little deal. If he turns it a whole bunch, then it's a great big deal. With that in mind, just ask the little guy with the wheel what he thinks.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
Actually, I think the question is answered by that little guy turning the wheel thingy. If he turns the wheel a small amount, it's just a little deal. If he turns it a whole bunch, then it's a great big deal. With that in mind, just ask the little guy with the wheel what he thinks.
Wheel? I thought that was an 18th century version of a Segway...
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Wheel? I thought that was an 18th century version of a Segway...
Hmmmmm, after closer inspection, it appears you are correct. It looks kind of like a unicycle. The little guy riding it, however, is endangering his... uhmmm... well, let's just say if he shifts forward he's going to need an ice pack and some morphine.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote