Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #46
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
You might to look at C. S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy. They are long but very well written. Well worth a look at.

Black Sun Rising
When True Night Falls
Crown Of Shadows
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #47
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Another unfinished trilogy (book 3 not released) that was fun was Courtney Schafer's The Shattered Sigil series:

The Whitefire Crossing
The Tainted City
The Labyrinth of Flame (release date tbd)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #48
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I read the first page and found the tone cold and distant. A turn-off. On the other hand, The Left Hand of Darkness is brilliant. I wonder if she did anything else good?
Lathe of Heaven
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #49
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I liked The Left Hand of Darkness, but found The Dispossessed so horribly pedantic I couldn't finish it.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #50
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
I read the first page and found the tone cold and distant. A turn-off. On the other hand, The Left Hand of Darkness is brilliant. I wonder if she did anything else good?
I don't wish to force my likes and dislikes onto you, and if you like The Left Hand, well I am happy you found it a good read, but still, I would strongly suggest you go a little further than 1 page in the Earth-sea Trilogy.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #51
Naloomi
Building Better Worlds
Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.Naloomi is no e-book dilettante.

Device: PRS-600, 3G Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6+, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Apologies for the second request for a recommendation in the last couple of days. I am looking for a fantasy trilogy series to start soon that fits, loosely, within the criteria below:
  • Must be fast paced and exciting - I disliked Game of Thrones for this very reason. Found it slow and dull.
  • Under 600 pages each - But if it's good, length shouldn't be a problem.
So far I have The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, The Assassins Apprentice by Robin Buss, The Riftwar Cycle (okay it has 4 but it sounds pretty good) by Raymond E. Feist and The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence listed.

Advice on anything would be great.

Thanks and apologies again

Dave
Officially the Riftwar Cycle you refer to is actually the Riftwar Saga and is three books. The first book (Magician) was later split into two smaller books. The Riftwar Cycle is actually composed of 29 (30 with Magician split into two) books. The last book of the entire series is called Magicians End was released on May 14th, 2013.

It's a great series and I highly recommend it!!

Another series I enjoy is any number if the various Valdemar trilogies put out by Mercedes Lackey. Mage Wars trilogy starts off real fast paced by by book 3 begins to Wane.
I would read Last Herald Mage trilogy or the Mage Winds trilogy. Be warned thought that Lackey has no compunction about writing about various social taboos that some may find uncomfortable to read.

Chris
Aka Naloomi

Last edited by Naloomi; 05-18-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Naloomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the recommendations!

I have started The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson for now and really enjoying it so far.

Okay, it's a little longer than the originally stated 600 pages but heard nothing but good things about the series.

I will get round to reading others suggested for sure!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #53
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
A thread asking for fantasy recommendations and no one mentions Andre Norton?

Her use of language is a bit different, but it works well with her world-building, and she's a very good author. My favorites are:
The Gates to Witch World (a trilogy of Witch World, Web of Witch World and Year of the Unicorn)
Gryphon Trilogy (The Crystal Gryphon, Gryphon in Glory, Gryphon's Eyrie)
The Key of the Keplian
Scent of Magic (not necessarily action-oriented, but it's got political intrigues, assassination, and magical kidnapping so I think it counts )
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #54
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Given your original request, I would stay away from Tad Williams and Robert Jordan, as they do tend to write what I consider big slow doorstops of series, which doesn't seem to be what you want.

You may want to try Michael Scott Rohan's "Winter of the World" trilogy, which I thought was quite good. I'd also suggest Elizabeth Moon's "Deed of Paksenarrion," as well. I also liked Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books, but they're not exactly a trilogy, though they are very well done. All but one of the seven books is a collection of shorter tales, with one being a novel. They're really good stuff and cover the lives of two fascinating characters.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #55
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naloomi View Post
Officially the Riftwar Cycle you refer to is actually the Riftwar Saga and is three books. The first book (Magician) was later split into two smaller books. The Riftwar Cycle is actually composed of 29 (30 with Magician split into two) books. The last book of the entire series is called Magicians End was released on May 14th, 2013.

It's a great series and I highly recommend it!!
I'm in the middle of Magician's End, so can't really comment on that yet, but I do have one caveat about this series.

I've enjoyed it enormously over the years, but the last few haven't impressed me as much - getting quite formulaic, and lots of editorial errors and general sloppiness. It's just seemed to me that he's not really been taking enough care over the last few.

Just IMHO, of course.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #56
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Sunset Warrior Trilogy by Eric Van Lustbader is a masterpeice of swords and sorcery fantasy. It surprises me that it is so little known. The sequel, Beneath an Opal Moon is also very good. I suppose people see the name Lustbader, and associate it with, well, something else.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #57
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Khaavren Romances by Steven Brust. They are heavily influenced by the d'Artagnan Romances written by Alexandre Dumas.
The Phoenix Guards
Five Hundred Years After
The Viscount of Adrilankha, published in three volumes: The Paths of the Dead
The Lord of Castle Black
Sethra Lavode

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #58
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
The Sunset Warrior Trilogy by Eric Van Lustbader is a masterpeice of swords and sorcery fantasy. It surprises me that it is so little known. The sequel, Beneath an Opal Moon is also very good. I suppose people see the name Lustbader, and associate it with, well, something else.
I read those a long, long time ago and enjoyed them. I'm not sure I would call them a master piece, but well worth reading. It might be kind of hard to find since it's not available in ebook and seems to have been out of print for a while. Lustbader seems to have abandoned fantasy for spy novels.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #59
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Lustbader is a long-time favorite of mine. To me, Sunset Warrior trilogy started out fantastic and gently slid down to muddled. I think I enjoyed his Pearl series more though it was not as brilliant as the best of the Sunset Warrior. The way he starts in fantasy and transitions to SF in both of those series reminds me a little of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series.

His thriller and spy novels are consistently good (to me).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #60
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
realistic fantasy
Isn't that an oxymoron? Or are you saying "dark and grim" ="realistic."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote