Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #91
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Oh! Really!! Wow I had half expected you to say "bug still there" and I'd be rather surprised at Kobo for sending out an update without fixing such a substantial problem. I'm glad to be pleasantly surprised instead, though it puzzles me that no-one shouted it from the roof tops (or even whispered it through the chimney for that matter).

Shame about the ugly covers. But wasn't that always the case? I gave up on Kobo making my covers and set Calibre to always send the covers along.
The key phrase in my post was "limited testing". On my Glo, the unexpected battery drain was not consistent so I never worried much about it. I did find that my placing a chess piece (chosen for it's size and felt bottom) on the screen and leaving it overnight would cause the battery drain about 1 in 4 times. After the upgrade, it didn't happen in 6 tests.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #92
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I noticed since 2.5.0 (and yes, I was upgrading as soon as the new version became available) that text in dictionary lookup (popup window) gets cut on the right. English dictionary, side-loaded ePubs. Does not happen always, but it is frequent enough to be annoying.
Yes, me too. Noticed last night on 2.5.1 on Touch, side loaded epub.

I am getting tired of trading old bugs for new bugs.

Last edited by rjcroy; 04-29-2013 at 01:54 AM.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #93
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
One thing I've noticed since the update is that I'm not able to adjust the line spacing. The options are all there, but they don't actually visibly change anything. Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe it's some corrupt ePub files? Has anyone else found this? Or is this more likely something to do with Calibre (support for updates)?
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #94
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
One thing I've noticed since the update is that I'm not able to adjust the line spacing. The options are all there, but they don't actually visibly change anything. Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe it's some corrupt ePub files? Has anyone else found this? Or is this more likely something to do with Calibre (support for updates)?
It is probably specific epubs. If the line spacing is set in the epubs, then the device won't override it. There has been a lot of discussion recently about it. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211640.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #95
14nc310t
14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Glo
Although the rel.2.5.1 fixes several bugs (setting light to a minimum, the sudoku bug), it still doesn't seems to have solved the error regarding the ordering of ebooks using the series field.

For people like me who uses intensively the attribute series, it's really annoying. Furthermore, add that field in the sort key just as in the 2.4 release should not be too complicated.
14nc310t is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #96
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Series sorting has been discussed to death. It was removed for 2.4.0 and was a deliberate decision on Kobo's part.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #97
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Series sorting has been discussed to death. It was removed for 2.4.0 and was a deliberate decision on Kobo's part.
Does anyone know why that decision was made?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #98
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
Does anyone know why that decision was made?
Yes. The sorting is "by Title". A bug was reported that the sorting was not actually by the book title. Kobo decided the bug report was valid and fixed it.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #99
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also would like to know why it has been dropped.
I assume that that discussion took place on a closed forum (for beta testers?) or something alike.
I have no problem with decisions taken by Kobo about their products, as long I'm informed about them. I just would like that Kobo informs us about any decisions taken or their (Kobos) point of view on a certain matter. That the discussion takes place on a closed forum (limited user group) is not an issue as long as a final decision is made public.
Some brief info would be appreciated, like:
* bug/feature: that a bug (feature) officially is recognized by Kobo. And that it
* is under investigation (bug)/consideration (feature)
* is going to be fixed (added) in a coming future firmware release (not necessarily the next one)
* is not fixed, because of
* hardware limitations/lack of a uniform industry standard solution
* won't be fixed/dropped/postponed
*Kobos reasoning/point of view about [a matter, bug, feature etc.]: e.g. may be too complicated to implement. Or: requested feature is part of the coming epub 3 standard and therefore postponed.
If we are informed about decisions taken by Kobo we can stop discussing about features or bugs or whatever and focus on discussions that my benefit user experience of Kobo devices.

Last edited by Anak; 04-29-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #100
14nc310t
14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys14nc310t shares his or her toys

Thumbs down

Quote:
Yes. The sorting is "by Title". A bug was reported that the sorting was not actually by the book title. Kobo decided the bug report was valid and fixed it.
I'm sorry but I disagree. Kobo's programmers have never heard about "multiple key sorting"?
What does it mean "the sorting is on the book title"? So what should we do with series attribute ?

If Kobo give me this feature, I would use it without problems. Otherwise, is better to remove it.

Last edited by 14nc310t; 04-29-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14nc310t View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree. Kobo's programmers have never heard about "multiple key sorting"?
Of course they do. Try sorting by author, type or size.
[/QUOTE]

What does it mean "the sorting is on the book title"? So what should we do with series attribute ?[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I said. When you use "by Title", it sorts by the title of the book. The argument is that the series name is not part of the title.
Quote:

If Kobo give me this feature, I would use it without problems. Otherwise, is better to remove it.
They display the series info and you can search on it. As far as I can tell, no other reader has this at all.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #102
14nc310t

@davidfor:
I'm sorry but I still do not understand:

1) Kobo do multiple key sorting except on Series field.

2) Only Kobo had this feature. No competitor has this.

3) They discontinued it since 2.4 without any comprensible reason.

This is is what I say foresight and competitive advantage!
Then why the hell Kobo removed this feature ?

I love this product , but sometime I would understand it better!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #103
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
It is probably specific epubs. If the line spacing is set in the epubs, then the device won't override it. There has been a lot of discussion recently about it. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211640.
Thanks davidfor! I must have missed the other thread - will have a read through it. And yes, it appears specific to e-Pub individual files, and perhaps only ePub. I found one last night that still worked and then realized it was from the Kobo bookstore, so is almost certainly a kepub file.

A shame, as I really like being able to adjust my line spacing.

Last edited by teija; 04-29-2013 at 01:23 PM.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #104
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14nc310t View Post
@davidfor:
I'm sorry but I still do not understand:

1) Kobo do multiple key sorting except on Series field.

2) Only Kobo had this feature. No competitor has this.

3) They discontinued it since 2.4 without any comprensible reason.

This is is what I say foresight and competitive advantage!
Then why the hell Kobo removed this feature ?

I love this product , but sometime I would understand it better!
Agree, except one little point. I CAN see why they 'fixed the big' as I can see why TITLE sort, should sort by title in its purest form.

I think Kobo went wrong by not giving us a SERIES sort option, or even giving us the option to keep it the way it was. It was a fabulous feature, one competitors don't have. It was awesome, and I miss it.

I have, however, decided that I shall keep going on about it at every available opportunity in the forums (and anywhere else), in the hope that Kobo will realise what an amazing feature they had and may consider future changes to give us it back as an option. Or give us series sort.

Feel free to go on about it along with me, too.

Please Kobo. Look at us all who miss sort by series! It was wonderful, we miss it, it made our reading lives easier in a way only Kobo did!
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #105
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
There seems to be a new bug, there is too much white space on the footer, and when the glo first wakes up the white space runs right over the body of the text!! If you advance a page and go back that problem goes away, but there is still way too much white space being used (more so than before).
I'm seeing this also, intermittently. Both the header and footer. It appears to happen with both side loaded epubs and sideloaded kepubs through Calibre. With both built in and user loaded fonts. I've also seen it when switching books through the home screen.

This is on a Glo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote