Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Kobo Glo vs Paperwhite?

I'm not at all familiar with Kobo, but I *am* dissatisfied with my two Paperwhites (blotchy/multicolored screen, lots of info on this in Kindle forum and on Amazon reviews). I'm not clear on whether there are any countries in which both devices have been released. Has anyone been able to examine both in person?

I don't care about the light source visuals (i.e, I'm not complaining about the LED on the Paperwhite), I want to know if the rest of the screen is a consistent color. I don't care if it's 'cool' or has a blue cast or doesn't look 'white'; I just want something that doesn't have pink and blue blobs.

I don't really care about file formats either as I am adept with calibre and DRM removal.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...95&postcount=5

Did you read the thread a few posts down titled 'Is this normal on the Glo'? There's a photo of the screen as it's lit up right there - I haven't had any evenness issues myself, although there are a few people reporting bright spots, at least for people who bought it in Eastern Canada and one or two in the U.K.

I'm wondering how many of those are actual defects, versus people seeing the shadows at the very bottom and thinking 'OMG! I've got a bright spot!'. No complaints about discoloration in the forums about the Glo, though.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
There are a few photo's posted here as the last post said. My experience with the Glo is that it's very even. Slightly bright right at the top of the screen and a bit of a grey bar at the bottom where the lights are (versus the triangles I've seen in the Paperwhite pictures). Haven't done a direct comparison with Paperwhite though.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
If you check on YouTube you can see a comparison of the lights of Kobo and Nook Glow. I think it's done by Good reader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1k...e_gdata_player
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...95&postcount=5

Did you read the thread a few posts down titled 'Is this normal on the Glo'? There's a photo of the screen as it's lit up right there - I haven't had any evenness issues myself, although there are a few people reporting bright spots, at least for people who bought it in Eastern Canada and one or two in the U.K.

I'm wondering how many of those are actual defects, versus people seeing the shadows at the very bottom and thinking 'OMG! I've got a bright spot!'. No complaints about discoloration in the forums about the Glo, though.
I did see that thread, thanks--it's safe to say I'm probably not going to be a person freaked out by the light sources (I know a lot are, including a lot of the Paperwhite complaints). I know a lot of it also comes from people not understanding the tech (i.e., that e-ink is not LCD). Some of the Paperwhite screens are really screwy, though, specifically the color blob/blue & pink cloud effect.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
My Kobo Glo is extremely even in brightness, save for a very slight brighter line at the top and the shadows at the bottom (which Kobo hides by default with a black bar at the bottom of the screen when the light is on, very clever). Color is completely uniform. If there has ever seemed to be any unevenness, a quick clean of the screen with a dry microfiber cloth fixes it.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
My Kobo Glo is extremely even in brightness, save for a very slight brighter line at the top and the shadows at the bottom (which Kobo hides by default with a black bar at the bottom of the screen when the light is on, very clever).
Ditto. It seems that the proportion of people complaining about the Glo is less than the proportion complaining about the PW. I wonder how much of that is a quality control problem on Amazon's part, and how much is Kobo smartly finding a way to hide the slight shadowing at the bottom of the screen.

Though people with PWs have also reported indistinct text problems, I haven't experienced (or even heard about) any such problems with the Glo yet.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I did see that thread, thanks--it's safe to say I'm probably not going to be a person freaked out by the light sources (I know a lot are, including a lot of the Paperwhite complaints). I know a lot of it also comes from people not understanding the tech (i.e., that e-ink is not LCD). Some of the Paperwhite screens are really screwy, though, specifically the color blob/blue & pink cloud effect.
I'm just glad the Glo hasn't had the same issues as the PW, although they seem to have a similar technology in use for the diffuser. I'd suggest checking it out if you can - I certainly have no complaints with it. A step up from the Kindle Touch, for certain... and unlike the Paperwhite, it's available outside the U.S.

I don't think you'll be disappointed - not after the Paperwhite.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Although I'm pleased with mine, it does have a single pinprick of bright light (thankfully only visible at an angle I wouldn't normally view the screen from), I have a grey shadow in the bottom 3mm, you can hide this by turning on the black bar, but I find it easy to ignore the shadow which is below the chapter heading and page count. At lower LED settings there is a less noticeable blotchy grey area in the next 7mm up or so, the area of the screen with the actual book content is very evenly lit and at the top there is a bright 2mm stripe.
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
If anyone buys a Glo online in the UK you have seven days under the distance selling regulations to send it back whether it has a defect or not. As well as the usual one year (UK) manufacturer guarantee, which the retailer has to honour, not the manufacturer. There is also an EU directive (Directive 1999/44/EC) giving consumers a two year guarantee against defective products, of which few people are aware.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Someone who has bought both posted a quick review in the "Which one should I buy" forum (direct link to the individual post), and they suggest there is very little to choose between the two. Hopefully he'll come back with a bit more detail and photos, but I think the little they did post was a good, balanced view.

I'd hazard a guess to say that there have been a lot more Kindle PW's sold than Glo's, and that the Kindle users seemed to have pretty high expectations, so more complaints aren't too surprising, but Amazon's quality control definitely looks very shabby in comparison to Kobo's.

If you are not happy with your Paperwhite, there doesn't seem to be any reason why the Glo shouldn't be a good alternative - going by what people have posted you might need to check you don't have any bright spots on the screen (as AndyBurns mentions) but there is far less chance of a blotchy screen.

If it was me, I'd return the PW, and give the Glo a try, just make sure you let Amazon know you aren't happy and tell them you are going to ditch it for a Kobo Glo. That'll kick them where it hurts

Last edited by soulfuldog; 10-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote