Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
Optimal image size, resolution and format

Hi All,

I'm now getting quite a lot of interest in doing illustrated books. I've searched the forums and couldn't find any threads on this topic, please forgive me if there is, I simply didn't see it.

Trying to be all things to all persons (PC or what? ), or, in other words, all things to all flavours of ebook readers (hardware that is), is there an optimal size, resolution and format, I can make my illustrations using photoshop? The format would probably be PNG, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I guess on an iPad it would be better to get the highest possible resolution for, say, a technical illustration so it can be enlarged for the reader to study and keep it legible. But on a run-of-the-mill image of a portrait or a landscape, where the image is just to enhance the text where it doesn't need to be enlarged and the end-user screen is the limiting factor.

I'm trying to be as economical as possible with file sizes at reasonable proportions. The illustrations will be in colour.

Thanks in advance,

John.
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm usually one to encourage some pretty liberal stretching of the "related to Sigil" rules in these forums, but man... you didn't even use the word Sigil anywhere in this post. You gotta toss someone even the tiniest Sigil/ePub relevance bone, here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
This thread might get you started. Do all ereaders handle png images ok now? I thought they mostly stuck to jpg, gif and maybe bmp?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195778
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
They should. It's part of the ePub spec. Kindles obviously do; they even recommend it for the cover.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm usually one to encourage some pretty liberal stretching of the "related to Sigil" rules in these forums, but man... you didn't even use the word Sigil anywhere in this post. You gotta toss someone even the tiniest Sigil/ePub relevance bone, here.
Hi, I must apologise. I'm using Sigil and epub to produce all my ebooks and just didn't think of making any reference to it/them. Will try and remember next time.
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
John123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
This thread might get you started. Do all ereaders handle png images ok now? I thought they mostly stuck to jpg, gif and maybe bmp?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195778
OMG, what a can of worms. It would seem there are no definitive standards, then. With soooo many e-readers how could there be and where will it end? I just saw the first 8k telly on the news this morning!!!!

Cheers, job done.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post
OMG, what a can of worms. It would seem there are no definitive standards, then. With soooo many e-readers how could there be and where will it end? I just saw the first 8k telly on the news this morning!!!!

Cheers, job done.
There are standards however, some eReaders don't fully follow them and some eReaders extend them. For example the standard does not define BMP files as standard however, many Windows eReaders support them since they are based on Windows API stuff which automatically has BMP support.

It is a can of worms but it is a small can. 90% of the stuff is ok in almost all readers but there are a few Gotchas. The basis for ePub is HTML files and thus many eReaders use code from browsers as a starting point and end up with browser behaviors instead of ePub behaviors from time to time. The de facto standard reader is from Adobe, called Adobe Digital Editions, as they offer an API for sale to eBook Reader makers and have a DRM scheme that is also used by many customers including Public Libraries. Please check our wiki for terms you don't understand.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote