Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
ommoran
ommoran is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Upgrade from PRS300

So the "protected page" junk, and no fix for it in the two years I've owned it, has made me think it is time to upgrade. I'm kind of left cold by Sony's release of a flawed device and no meaningful upgrades to fix what most would think is a major flaw.

I am therefore looking at upgrading. I would upgrade to a 350 if I was assured that the same error doesn't occur, especially if there were some kind of upgrade pricing. Otherwise I'm going to be a homer and, as a Canadian, get a Kobo. Has anyone faced the same choices? Any suggestions? I like the 300 but it is a bit slow now and the pp fault drives me *nuts*.

Thanks!
ommoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Sony has issued a firmware upgrade to fix most of the glitches. I originally returned my first 2 T1s because of glitches but recently bought another after the firmware upgrade came out. I have had no problems since.

But being a patriotic Canadian & getting a Kobo? Go for it. Seriously, many people love their Kobos & since I have never had one, I can't compare.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sony isn't good about issuing firmware updates for older models. The 350 had a protected page error when initially released, but there was a firmware upgrade to fix it. The T1 had some other types of errors, but there has been a firmware upgrade to fix those too. If you like your 300 well enough, then I am sure you'd be happy with the 350. It is speedy. The touch-screen is nice. If you want a larger 6 inch screen, then go for the T1 or the Kobo.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
+1 what Bookworm_Girl said.
Having both the 350 and the T1, too, I would say, if you look for a pure, compact reading device, go for the 350. It's a fantastic reader (especially with PRS+ installed).
If you want a larger screen, wifi and and casual web browsing once in a while, the T1 is what you want.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
ommoran
ommoran is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
+1 what Bookworm_Girl said.
Having both the 350 and the T1, too, I would say, if you look for a pure, compact reading device, go for the 350. It's a fantastic reader (especially with PRS+ installed).
If you want a larger screen, wifi and and casual web browsing once in a while, the T1 is what you want.
I did end up resolving on the TI... I can always return it. We will see...
ommoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Just out of curiousity, are you bychance referring to the library borrowing PDF/epub conflict? They never did fix that for the 300. They did fix it for the 350 & up. I think you'll enjoy the T1. It's a really good device. Enjoy.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade