Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Top 50 Android Apps Account for 61% of All App Usage

Interesting.

Quote:
There are some 250,000 apps in the Android Market, but how many of those do smartphone owners use during those 37 minutes? According to Nielsen’s study, not very many.

The report by Nielsen Smartphone Analytics reveals that the top 10 apps in the Market account for 43 percent of the time Android users spend with mobile apps. What’s more, the top 50 apps account for 61 percent of smartphone users’ time spent with mobile apps. Ergo: The remaining 249,950-plus apps only account for 39 percent of Android owners’ mobile apps use.
Link.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Well, the top 5 apps are currently:

Facebook
YouTube
Google Maps
Angry Birds
I woudn't be surprised if those five alone accounted for most of that 43%, and I also expect that a fair slice of time is spent on them on iOS as well. With a lot of apps you dip in and out, but you can spend long chunks of time with YouTube, Facebook and Skype, and I hear Angry Birds is quite popular.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Facebook -- never use
YouTube -- rarely use
Google Maps -- occasionally use
Angry Birds -- always use
Skype -- never use
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
biooutsource
biooutsource began at the beginning.

Device: Kinddle
according to a research i have gone through. These sites traffic has increased 13% because of mobile internet. So just imagine the significant impact by mobile devices.
biooutsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Facebook -- never use
YouTube -- rarely use
Google Maps -- occasionally use
Angry Birds -- always use
Skype -- never use
Are you really still playing Angry Birds?

You probably don't use maps because you don't have a data plan, but I use it daily. On the road it had been a real life saver. On my tablet I rarely use maps
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Well, the top 5 apps are currently:
Facebook
YouTube
Google Maps
Angry Birds
I woudn't be surprised if those five alone accounted for most of that 43%, and I also expect that a fair slice of time is spent on them on iOS as well. With a lot of apps you dip in and out, but you can spend long chunks of time with YouTube, Facebook and Skype, and I hear Angry Birds is quite popular.
Graham
What about opera or dolphin
Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My thought too was that surely there would be a web browser in there, but there isn't one in the top 10. Checking Dolphin and Opera installs in the Market they are far below the numbers for the top 5 above.

I guess most users are happy with the default browser. I know I've not felt the need to try out an alternative.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
My thought too was that surely there would be a web browser in there, but there isn't one in the top 10. Checking Dolphin and Opera installs in the Market they are far below the numbers for the top 5 above.

I guess most users are happy with the default browser. I know I've not felt the need to try out an alternative.

Graham
IE6's long-lasting popularity is certainly evidence that there's a huge segment of users unwilling to find an alternative to something that seems to work okay, but in the Android context, I would note that there are a large number of relatively popular alternatives. Were this a market of two competitors, I'm sure they'd both be better represented, but the users searching for alternatives are diluted between multiple operas, multiple dolphins, miren, skyfire, firefox and a load of other niche browsers.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you really still playing Angry Birds?

You probably don't use maps because you don't have a data plan, but I use it daily. On the road it had been a real life saver. On my tablet I rarely use maps
Yes, I love Angry Birds

I don't use maps, because I know how to get to where I need to go. Lack of a data plan has nothing to do with it. IOW, I don't drive to unknown places.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I use Dolphin.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I love Angry Birds

I don't use maps, because I know how to get to where I need to go. Lack of a data plan has nothing to do with it.
Just teasing about AB.

Quote:
IOW, I don't drive to unknown places.

I use it mainly for traffic. But there has dozen different reasons why I have used this app.

That is interesting. You mean you never drive to a restaurant you've never been to, gone to a social event where the address is provided. Been in an unfamiliar neighborhood where you might be looking for say a Starbucks or Radio shack?

There is so much information you can get from maps, I've lived in my neighborhood all my life and there have been places maps has discovered that I never knew existed. It's also great for checking reviews on a place. Heck I even use it to find contact info for business since it's faster than googling it.

Man life to short to be confined to places I know first hand, maps really helps me expand the locations I've visit.

=X=
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I use Dolphin.
I've been using opera for some time now, but the latest version of Dophin is really good I find myself using that more often than Opera.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I use it mainly for traffic. But there has dozen different reasons why I have used this app.

That is interesting. You mean you never drive to a restaurant you've never been to, gone to a social event where the address is provided. Been in an unfamiliar neighborhood where you might be looking for say a Starbucks or Radio shack?

There is so much information you can get from maps, I've lived in my neighborhood all my life and there have been places maps has discovered that I never knew existed. It's also great for checking reviews on a place. Heck I even use it to find contact info for business since it's faster than googling it.

Man life to short to be confined to places I know first hand, maps really helps me expand the locations I've visit.

=X=
My answer in regard to Google Maps had to do with its use on an Android device, which for me, is a Nook Color CM7. While I occasionally use it on my Color, I use it quite frequently on my PC. So when I need to drive to an unknown destination, I look it up on my PC before I go. Then when I go there, it's no longer unknown and I know the directions.

Traffic is not a problem for me, because I'm going in the opposite direction during morning commute; so it's free sailing for me.

That said, I use maps all the time. I love taking day trips to places I haven't been to before. Two of my hobbies involve extensive use of maps - hiking and geocaching. So I'm quite familiar with topo maps, compasses and handheld GPS devices.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I've been using opera for some time now, but the latest version of Dophin is really good I find myself using that more often than Opera.
I use Dolphin based upon recommendations from friends. Since my tablet is used for casual recreational purposes, the stock browser would probably work just as well for me.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
=X=
Wizard

@tubemonkey Ah okay that all's good, for a second there I thought you had some OCD complex. The hiking sounds fun, never heard of geocaching.