Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Battery Drain and Notes Disappeared?

Ok, for some odd reason, my battery on my ready died totally overnight last night. I may have hit something that was running the background possibly, I generally charge it when it gets down to about 50%, I'm a casual reader so it usually takes a couple weeks to get down that far, and it was at 50% before I put it in standby last night. Thats not a huge deal, may have been a fluke. However, I noticed that all my bookmarks (notes) were gone when I got it back on. I was only reading one book and recalled roughly where I was at, but this seems rather odd. I'd imagine the notes are stored to the same memory the books are, no? So it shouldn't be some volatile memory where if the battery dies the notes go away? Anyone else experienced this?
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
nauht
nauht began at the beginning.

Are you charging from your computer? I had these strange battery drains on my PRS650 where even though my reader is plugged in to my computer the previous day and should be charging, the next morning the battery is almost completely drained. Then just now I found out that even though I turn off my computer every night, the reader still stays fully on. It doesn't charge and there's a message saying that there's a problem with charging. It also says it's still USB connected. So it seems like the reader is able to detect it's connected so it turns on but does not charge since my computer is not on.
So now I'm going to always unplug my reader everytime it finishes charging to prevent the battery from draining like this.

As the notes, I still have them even though the battery has drained. I would think it's stored in the flash memory...
nauht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I did notice that the latest computer I built, using a Gigabyte motherboard, has a utility that will leave the USB ports powered (for charging) when the computer is off.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I remember reading older threads that said USB charging could actually drain a battery rather than charge it. I don't recall whether it was in a Sony or some other device context or whether it was addressed to newer or older devices, but you might search MobileRead for "USB battery drain" and see if you get any hits.

I personally never liked the USB charging. I always found it slow at best. With my Sony 505 I bought an iGo system and used a PSP plug to wall charge. With the Sony 950, the charger that came with the device is wall pluggable and I used it until I bought the correct adapter for the iGo system. I'm not familiar with the 650's charging system (that is, the one that came with the device), but I assume that Sony is supplying the same charging system across devices. If they are, try wall charging. If not, consider buying the iGo system. I use it to charge my cell phones, both of my Sony Readers, and my cellphone headset, both at home and when traveling.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
However, I noticed that all my bookmarks (notes) were gone when I got it back on. I was only reading one book and recalled roughly where I was at, but this seems rather odd. I'd imagine the notes are stored to the same memory the books are, no? So it shouldn't be some volatile memory where if the battery dies the notes go away? Anyone else experienced this?
It's not mentioned anywhere but from my experience bookmarks and notes are only saved when you exit the book or connect to USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauht View Post
Then just now I found out that even though I turn off my computer every night, the reader still stays fully on. It doesn't charge and there's a message saying that there's a problem with charging.
Do NOT leave the reader connected to a PC that's turned off or went to sleep. This does indeed discharge the battery.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
blu-
Enthusiast
blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.

Device: prs 650
My battery drains completely overnight full when I have a word highlighted and I put it to sleep. I'm not that's the cause, but I think that's the only times it has happene.
blu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
nauht
nauht began at the beginning.

Quote:
Do NOT leave the reader connected to a PC that's turned off or went to sleep. This does indeed discharge the battery.
I am using a Gigabyte motherboard and I found an option to force my computer to not give power to the USB ports when my computer is off. Now when I turn off my computer my reader does not detect that it's connected to the USB anymore. However as a precaution I will not leave it connected.
nauht is offline   Reply With Quote