Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
How did you feel about reading a paper book after The Transition?

I'm just curious how everyone felt when they read their first paper book after getting accustomed to their eBook readers?

I haven't gone back yet, so I don't know. But it is just a matter of time.

The thing I like most about my reader is that it is so easy to read laying down. No more thumb cramps!

The only thing I DON'T like about my reader is the comparative lack of variety when compared to paper books. The 350,000+ book selection advertising is deceptive, because they are not all unique books.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For fiction I prefer a reader by a wide margin. I have a real hard time going back to paper. For non-fiction, typically some type of History book, I still prefer paper because I do a lot of flipping back and forth sometimes and none of my readers are great for that.

As far as lack of variety I suppose it depends on what you're wanting to read. It will be nice when more older stuff starts showing up and of course pricing could use some work. I will say selection has gotten a lot better than it was in '07 when I got my first eInk reader.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
It's a good question, Jeremy.

I still read paper books, mainly because we have nearly a thousand of them in the house, and there's a lot of good stuff in them that I wouldn't want to discard.

There's only thing about paper books I now find strange. When I come to a word I don't know, I automatically reach for the five-way controller to highlight the word for a dictionary search. I've done this a dozen times before realising I have to walk over to the shelf and pick up my Chambers.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No different.

The liseuse, at this time, is not a superior experience. Its sole (but, to me, considerable) redeeming quality is the number of books it can hold and the fact that it can display arbitrary content.

Unlike many others here, I'm not getting rid of my paper books, and I do not foresee stopping to buy new ones... particularly given the content poverty of the eBook market.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
They tend to be books of last resort for me now. I have a couple at the moment sitting on a counter waiting to be read that friends have lent me after I expressed an interest and I know that if they were electronic I would already have read them. I think the issue is that my reader is now my security blanket - it goes with me everywhere and I feel happy in the knowledge that there is always another book on it when I am ready for it. I think subconciously I am worried about getting left in the lurch with a paperback that ended too soon or didn't turn out to be what I wanted to read at that moment...

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
There's only thing about paper books I now find strange. When I come to a word I don't know, I automatically reach for the five-way controller to highlight the word for a dictionary search. I've done this a dozen times before realising I have to walk over to the shelf and pick up my Chambers.
Another VERY useful feature, if you're reading a long and complex book (something like "The Count of Monte Cristo", for example, since I know you've read that recent) is the ability to search. If a character suddenly "reappears" in the story whom you've not encountered for several hundred pages, it can be useful to be able to quickly search for their name to refresh your memory as to the context in which they last appeared.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I was surprised about how much better the experience reading a paper book was compared to reading on my Cybook.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I was surprised about how much better the experience reading a paper book was compared to reading on my Cybook.
Speaking of which, the ergonomics of liseuses are horrible.

Never had my hand hurting me from reading a book before, but with some regularity my hands do cramp if I read too long on my PRS-505.

- Ahi
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
I find pBooks still have superior contrast and are therefore easier to read. But eBooks win big for convenience.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Euh, no problem. I also own a lot of photocopies of books, and have no problem using them too (that's yet another world, if you- like me- don't bind them). Words are words
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

Never had my hand hurting me from reading a book before, but with some regularity my hands do cramp if I read too long on my PRS-505.
Seems the opposite for me. I have no issues reading on my 505, but do sometimes with paperbooks.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Seems the opposite for me. I have no issues reading on my 505, but do sometimes with paperbooks.
Weird...

I find particularly when I'm sitting in a car or on a bus, it is difficult to find a comfortable reading... "stance".

- Ahi
Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

- Ahi
Yes, but them won't smother you if they're too heavy you can finally read in bed everything!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Personally, I still enjoy reading paper books quite a bit. That being said, I rarely am able to at the moment. We have a 3 month old in the house, and he wants to be held a lot so its often impractical to read a paper book. The ebook readers on the other hand are a great convenience .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I go back and forth between ebooks and paper books. I very much enjoy the ebook reading experience and find it generally superior to paper books. I don't really intend to give up paper books, but here are the things I find slightly less appealing about them now that I've expanded my text consuming options:

1. Big hardcovers are heavy! When reading a novel for prolonged times, the object gets heavy in the hands or on the lap.
2. The text crowding into the crease of the binding actually makes it harder to see and expose to lighting. The flat open screen of an ebook reader is much easier to read.
3. Paper books need a book mark that I always lose.

Things I still like about paper books are:

1. I really still prefer my big old dictionary. I can flip through it quickly and learn new words as I look for the word that made me open the dictionary.
2. I really still prefer paper for cook books. Not all recipes are going to fit on a small screen and the book needs to be in an environment where it can handle spills, splashes, and flouring.
3. Large reference books with pictures and diagrams do well on a big page although a big ebook reader could likely do a good job with this, but I don't have one of those.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote