Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #61
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I tried the Kindle app too. But the total lack of any bookmarking for PDFs was an automatic deal-breaker for me. I promptly uninstalled Kindle from my Nook after trying it out.

I am not having any issues with page turning or blank pages reading PDFs in the native Nook reader. Maybe the problems existed just with the earlier stock ROMs? PDFs on both 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 have worked smoothly for me.

--Pat
I don't use bookmarks myself. As long as it opens to the page where I left off, I'm happy.

I did notice after one of the updates the stock reader was noticeably better. But I still had problems with the PDFs.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #62
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just put Go Launcher on 2 of the girls' tablets, they each have close to 200 games on them. I find Go Launcher easier to customize than ADW. I put their (way too many) free hidden objects games into one folder. Much easier for them to find things, now.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #63
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Sometime around July (I think) is when they came out with a new stable version of CM10.1. That's when I installed it on the internal memory of my HD+. I've had no rebooting problems or anything. About the only problem I had was that I couldn't install the Nook app directly from the Google Play store. I had to download the APK and install it myself.

Anyway, I believe this is what I followed. Just make sure you download the latest version and make sure it's CM10.1 and not CM10.2.
Thanks bunches! I finally got around to installing it today and it went very smoothly, much better than when I first played around with the HD. I had tried some other launchers on the stock Nook this past week but I like being back to what I've gotten used to on my HD. Those directions were very easy to follow.

Karen
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #64
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
The issue that stops me putting CM on my HD+ is that some of my favorite apps apparently refuse to load on rooted devices. Barclaycard and Sky Go are two that spring to mind. So I've only tried a few launchers and stuck with Go for now.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #65
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I got my "refurbished" Nook HD+ a few days ago and I'm thrilled with it. It came in pristine retail packaging, looks brand new and the screen is perfect. As far as I can tell, the battery and internals are all working fine as well. Some have reported their HD+ tablets overheating, but mine merely gets a little warm on the lower left side. I've got the latest stock on it now, rooted and with the mod to allow sideloading.

I believe this was "refurbished" by Barnes and Noble as opposed to a third-party. It was sold by 1Sale.com for $99 (with a rebate). 1Sale was a little slow to ship and also didn't send a proper tracking number. I had to email them for it. But otherwise, I'm very satisfied dealing with them. If anyone is interested in an HD+, don't hesitate to give 1Sale a try. They no longer offer the rebate, but their price is still very good. The refurbished tablets are also coming with 1-year warranties.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #66
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Awesome, Pat. I have heard about slow shipping from 1sale, but they are a massive company with massive sales, so it probably takes them awhile to get things out the door.

These Nooks are such awesome devices for these prices!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #67
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
$99 is such an amazingly low price for such a nice device and I am sure that you will enjoy your HD+ . I have the one which I bought back during the Father's Day sale and I still marvel at the screen. So far I am content with stock...but at least I did eliminate the carousel and put an image of my own as the wallpaper.
That's about my techie level.
Good luck and enjoy!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #68
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
$99 is such an amazingly low price for such a nice device and I am sure that you will enjoy your HD+ . I have the one which I bought back during the Father's Day sale and I still marvel at the screen. So far I am content with stock...but at least I did eliminate the carousel and put an image of my own as the wallpaper.
That's about my techie level.
Good luck and enjoy!
At $99 it's a steal. Consider that the new iPad Air starts at $499 and it has essentially the same screen resolution as the HD+. Obviously the Air has incredible lightness in its favor, but I don't know that paying so much more for that lightness is worth it. I paid more for my HD ($149 + tax) than I did for the HD+.

Kay, at the very least you might want to consider enabling sideloading apps on your HD+. It's really easy. You keep the current firmware. You just flash the modification to it using a micro sd card.

BTW, did you call Newegg about the theft of your card? They are a really good company, and even though it wasn't their fault, I think they might do something to compensate you for the loss.

--Pat
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #69
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Pat
Yes, I did call Newegg and filed a claim. Will be glad if they they approve my claim and send me a replacement. Then once I have the new card, I can flash that modification onto my nook HD. That's about as brave as I can get I did get some applications from Amazon a while ago and maybe it would be good to put some of them on my new toys!
All the post office will do is file a report. Lot of good that will do me.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #70
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I got the 32gb HD+, with an extra cord, and a bundle of apps from BN, for $179. My 16gb HD snow for $149. My 8gb HD for $99. All those were new. Then I got a used one off ebay for $87 including a case. You can definitely get the best deals on the 8gb HD and the 16gb HD+. (But I only recommend the 8gb if a person does not do a lot of games and apps).
Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #71
PatNY
Zennist

Good luck, Kay. Be sure to remind Newegg that (1) you filed a formal complaint with the post office about the theft and (2) because of this you might miss the cutoff for the rebate. Hopefully Newegg will fully compensate you.

--Pat
Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #72
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I got the 32gb HD+, with an extra cord, and a bundle of apps from BN, for $179. My 16gb HD snow for $149. My 8gb HD for $99. All those were new. Then I got a used one off ebay for $87 including a case. You can definitely get the best deals on the 8gb HD and the 16gb HD+. (But I only recommend the 8gb if a person does not do a lot of games and apps).
How many devices are in your home? And who sets them all up and maintains them?

I agree about 8gb being too small. I initially bought the HD with only 8gb, but I had to exchange it because of a minor screen flaw and so took that opportunity to get the 16gb one instead. Glad I did.

--Pat
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #73
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well I have 3 e-ink devices. My oldest son uses one of them to read over the phone with Grandma.

I have a Nook HD 8gb and a Fire HD7 16gb (rooted).

DD has an HD+ 32gb, and I got her an HD 8gb because I can't have her taking the big one out of the house for any reason.

Other DD has an HD 16gb.

And I just got a second Fire HD7 16gb to give to my boys for Christmas, though I don't know if the older one will use it. If he does, and they both really like using them, one of them can have my rooted Fire.

So that makes 6 tablets, and I set up and maintain all of them. I have a Nook charging station on my dresser.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #74
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I bought the 16GB HD+ yesterday. It was on sale at Staples (currently out of stock) for $129 and, by placing a phone order, I was able to apply a $20 off $100 coupon, so final price was $109 + tax. I received shipping confirmation today with an arrival date of 10/30. I've been wanting something slightly larger than my Nook Color and, lacking any will power whatsoever, decided this would be a good 9" tablet for my needs.

I'll probably want one more as a gift, so will be keeping my eyes open for any Black Friday deals...new or refurbished.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #75
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I've been wanting something slightly larger than my Nook Color and, lacking any will power whatsoever, decided this would be a good 9" tablet for my needs.
You may never use your Nook Color again. The HD is SO much better!