Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
A recommended fantasy trilogy to read

Apologies for the second request for a recommendation in the last couple of days. I am looking for a fantasy trilogy series to start soon that fits, loosely, within the criteria below:
  • Must be fast paced and exciting - I disliked Game of Thrones for this very reason. Found it slow and dull.
  • Under 600 pages each - But if it's good, length shouldn't be a problem.
So far I have The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, The Assassins Apprentice by Robin Buss, The Riftwar Cycle (okay it has 4 but it sounds pretty good) by Raymond E. Feist and The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence listed.

Advice on anything would be great.

Thanks and apologies again

Dave
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Ethical Vampires by Nigel Bennett and P. N. Elrod.

Quote:
Keeper of the King by P. N. Elrod Baen Amazon

His Father's Son by Nigel Bennett and P. N. Elrod Baen Amazon

Siege Perilous by Nigel Bennett and P. N. Elrod Baen Amazon

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. If you like it, there's a sequel to the trilogy set several hundred years later: Alloy of Law.

The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. If you like it, there's a prequel novella: Perfect Shadow.

The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams. These are a little longer than your criteria, especially the third book which is twice the length you're looking for. It's usually found split into two halves: To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 and To Green Angel Tower, Part 2.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
I do think you will find this one to be slow. It's also overrated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Try the Earthsea Trilogy, by Ursula K. LeGuin.

Here are the awards given to this series (from Wiki):

"Each novel in the series has received a literary award, including the 1969 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Fiction & the 1979 Lewis Carroll Shelf Award for A Wizard of Earthsea, the 1972 Newbery Honor for The Tombs of Atuan, the 1973 National Book Award for Children's Books for The Farthest Shore, the 1990 Nebula Award for Best Novel for Tehanu, and the 2002 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel for The Other Wind."

There are other books in the series, as well.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please don't. Awful writer. Very highly overrated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What Jon is trying to say is that in his opinion, the books are overrated.

In my opinion, the books are excellent.

What we have are two different opinions.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What Jon is trying to say is that in his opinion, the books are overrated.

In my opinion, the books are excellent.

What we have are two different opinions.

Don
Haha, would be a boring world if we all agreed

I only have one LeGuin book - The Lathe of Heaven. Not read it yet.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I'm going to second Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, I absolutely loved it and was genuinely sad to see it end. It had an interesting world, great magic system, and fantastic three-dimensional characters.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
I really liked these, but I'm not sure I'd use the adjective "exciting" when describing them. Although I know the first three are often lumped together as a trilogy, whenever I think of Earthsea I think of the full series of six books.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I really liked these, but I'm not sure I'd use the adjective "exciting" when describing them. Although I know the first three are often lumped together as a trilogy, whenever I think of Earthsea I think of the full series of six books.
Agreed about how "exciting" they are, but I really liked the first 3 and they have always kept me turning pages. I haven't read the others yet. The last three were all written much later than the originals, 1968-1972 vs 1990 and 2001, so I have been concerned that the newer ones won't mesh well with the originals.

stop__dreaming: Any particular reason you are looking specifically for trilogies? Will any series work provided the individual volumes are within your length guidelines?

The Riftwar books are excellent, although it has been a couple decades since I read the last two. Magician* can be read as a stand-alone book if desired.

(*Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master were originally published together but have been separated in many versions to reduce the length, at least in the US.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Agreed about how "exciting" they are, but I really liked the first 3 and they have always kept me turning pages. I haven't read the others yet. The last three were all written much later than the originals, 1968-1972 vs 1990 and 2001, so I have been concerned that the newer ones won't mesh well with the originals.

stop__dreaming: Any particular reason you are looking specifically for trilogies? Will any series work provided the individual volumes are within your length guidelines?

The Riftwar books are excellent, although it has been a couple decades since I read the last two. Magician* can be read as a stand-alone book if desired.

(*Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master were originally published together but have been separated in many versions to reduce the length, at least in the US.)
Not really. Just for the length to be honest. Don't want to get into a 'Wheel of Time' et al saga. I love Harry Potter and there's 7 of them, but they are great and didn't want that to end; so it'll have to be special.

That's good to know. 'Magician' sounds very intriguing.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Earthsea -very good,well paced.
Mistborn - no. Even "nonsensical."
However Sanderson does well with finishing out the Wheel of Time. At least the first one. I am not sure I have read the final two.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
I recommend "His Dark Materials Trilogy" by Philip Pullman.

Comparing with Book 1 & 2, Book 3 of the trilogy (The Amber Spyglass) seems to lose some steam, though.

Last edited by itisbomb; 05-14-2013 at 03:57 AM.
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
A recommended fantasy trilogy to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbomb View Post
I recommend "His Dark Materials Trilogy" by Philip Pullman.
I second that recommendation. Really enjoyed the series but please don't watch the movie, it's so bad, doesn't do the first book justice at all.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote