Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would be nervous if I was BN. There seems to be hardly any buzz generated by their announcement. Normally this places is going nuts when new e-readers and tablets are announced.

Not a good sign.

And it is truly sad that the original Nook is still available for sale.
Those who plan on rooting seem to be the only ones in a frenzy over the news. Those who preordered the Fire, probably didn't plan on rooting anyway. Few order cancellations. Those who bought the Fire for mom/dad/kids/grandparents are unlikely to go with the new NOOKcolor just for the better specs and SD card.

Last edited by SCION; 11-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They should have introduced a large screen touch eInk device. This is an area that would have played well to Amazon's abandonment of the DX. Instead of poking fun at the Kindle with Special Offers.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #33
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I'm wondering if the text does display better than the previous Nook STR. Better font rendering? "NEW! Best–Text™, ultra-crisp, reads just like paper – even in bright sun"
"Best-Text Technology specially optimizes each letter for ultra crisp words "

The price is tempting enough. I might order and check it out.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Well, I plan on upgrading to the NC2. Well worth the extra $50 over the Fire.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #35
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I think I'll get one too, but I might wait til tax refund time. Bet they'll be 200 by then
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #36
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Apparently you can get a software update for your current Nook STR and take advantage of "Best Text." So who is going to try that out and report back???

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #37
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
where do you see that the Nook Touch is getting a new screen?

eP
Here
Quote:
10:24AM:The black and white Nook touch is being updated with a new E Ink display as well.

10:25AM:It will also feature a new Best-Text technology that renders text more clearly than any other E Ink display.

10:27AM:The Nook SimpleTouch (new name for the black and white reader) features a better display and twice the battery life of Amazon's competitive offerings.
Yep so according to them its a brand new Display. I almost bought this back in the summer, I'm glad I didn't.

P.S. Just saw where now they say its a software update. How is that a new display? Talk about misleading lol..

Last edited by Synergi; 11-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #38
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Here is the link for the new STR software update.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...uch/379003175/
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #39
SCION
Séduisant

I wonder if they changed the homescreen layout on the new NOOKtouch.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
Here is the link for the new STR software update.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...uch/379003175/
So, there is no new NOOKtouch? It's just a firmware update?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #41
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
They should have introduced a large screen touch eInk device. This is an area that would have played well to Amazon's abandonment of the DX. Instead of poking fun at the Kindle with Special Offers.
Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of a market for it anymore. I bought one of the first generation devices to read pdfs, and now that I have a tablet (a $150 hp Touchpad) that does a much better job of it I don't use it for that anymore. It's awfully big for novel reading, which is why I ordered a K4 yesterday. The only issue I'm having right now is what do with my KDX.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I wonder if the hardware has changed in any way for the Nook STR. Doesn't seem so. I didn't like the reports that the page turn buttons are hard to use- totally defeats the purpose of having them and that over-sized bezel.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #43
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Mashable also had a live blog during the launch: http://mashable.com/2011/11/07/barne...tablet-launch/ All three devices are impressive IMO. Best wishes to B&N.
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #44
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Apparently you can get a software update for your current Nook STR and take advantage of "Best Text." So who is going to try that out and report back???

eP
Probably almost every Nook owner will check it out and there should be plenty of posts on what we find. I expect it will make the refresh faster, although it already is fast enough to stay out of the way. What I wonder is whether they will support more of ePub's capabilities or actually move on to ePub3.

You know, when B&N introduced the new Nook STR in May there were a lot of comments. Don't forget the Nook Touch is a new device since June and it's hard to compare it with something that hasn't emerged from the vapor yet.

I love the balance of my Nook. I can read it for hours without getting tired holding it and I have to wonder if the Kindle touch is as nice. I distrust that narrow side bezel, I suspect it will make it too easy to turn a page while just holding the book and I love the ability to use my own screen saver. Odd as that may seem, it is slightly comforting to pick my reader up and see a friendly image waiting for me.

I've decided to cancel my preorder for a Kindle Touch until I can get my hands on an actual Kindle and check it out for myself.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #45
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, they seem to have addressed at least the font display issues with Nook STR, though that was not at the top of my list. Won't be able to check until tomorrow.

I thought the performance was already fine, wish they had spent time on some more functional improvements or enhancements, such as improved library lending workflow (like Kindle & Sony), support for multilevel TOC, etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote