Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #31
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollofortynine View Post
The best thing to do is play it stupid, act upset, and chances are Amazon will go above and beyond what they are expected to do to make you happy
The best advice I've ever heard on the social engineering of customer service reps was from Click and Clack, the Car Talk guys on NPR. You say:

"I have a problem, and you're the only one who can help me."

Works wonders.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 12-27-2012 at 08:40 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The old saying "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" certainly has a lot of truth to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My K3 has had a curved line coming from the corner of the bezel down towards the Menu button since it was only a few months old. It's getting more pronounced but I've not really worried about it until now. Is this going to turn into a crack?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121227_085837.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	98273   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121227_085906.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	98274  
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, probably. That's the "standard" K3 bezel crack. It is purely cosmetic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #35
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, probably. That's the "standard" K3 bezel crack. It is purely cosmetic.
Thanks Harry. I thought so. If it cracks, it cracks. As long as I can read my books I'll keep it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #36
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have a similar crack as well; when it first showed up, my Kindle was under warranty, and they replaced it for free immediately (had one arrive the day after I called). I'm well out of warranty now, and I decided to just sell my Kindle on. Picking up a Paperwhite this week!
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
I too have the same crack on my Kindle keyboard. A definite known design defect.

I think that your title is a bit misleading. They were responsive and did offer you a solution. You just didn't like it.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #38
jweek
jweek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That is it EXACTLY! (Thanks for the photo.)

Did you decide to keep yours?

Don
I did - I don't like the crack, but I like my K3.

John
jweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #39
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I had a crack on my kk (bottom right corner of the bezel) while it was within the warrantee period. They sent me a new one first, then I had to send back the old one. The new one hasn't cracked (yet). I think it has the same type of bezel.

I have to say, I thought it was nice of Amazon to send the new one first so that I wouldn't be "kindleless" for a few days. That would have been unbearable.

Just saying you probably will have to agree to return yours to get their "deal".

Best wishes,

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #40
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have a similar crack on my Kindle Keyboard. I'm not too worried about it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollofortynine View Post
They gave you a 25/35% discount on the kindle 3g with special offers (35$ off) and its only $20 to remove ads, not really something I would complain about after the product I own out of warranty broke (and it doesn't affect operation).

I also believe Amazon wouldn't require you to send back your old kindle, so basically your getting a new kindle 3g for 35% off, when yours was out of warranty, and you still have your old one. What to do next? Sell your kindle 3g NIB on Ebay, get about 115 for it, and deal with the tiny crack that you will never notice accept for once a month when you use the keyboard.

I could be wrong though, you might need to send it back.

Also, you went about this all wrong. Take this from someone with experience on trying to get deals from customer service reps, telling them you know something they don't and then threatening them (herr derr I'm from mobileread and will give you a bad review) NEVER works. The best thing to do is play it stupid, act upset, and chances are Amazon will go above and beyond what they are expected to do to make you happy. Once I shipped $60 of protein to the wrong address (in college, sent it home instead of to the dorm). Totally my fault, but I contacted the rep and asked if I could return it. She informed me that I couldn't return it because its a food product, but said she would refund me the $60 and asked me to double check the address next time

Amazon has the best support if you don't piss them off. The only reason you got any discount at all is because it seems to be their official policy now, I'm surprised he didn't quote the actual prices for the products.
Just for the record, I did not need to send my cracked (out of warranty) Kindle.
When I talked to Amazon they first offered me the basic no-touch Kindle for US$ 20.- less. I then asked (ever so nicely) if they could offer me a discount for exactly the same model I have because I really like the Kindle Keyboard. I told me that he'll check with his supervisor, he then offered me the US$ 50.- off for the replacement (Kindle Keyboard 3G, no ads).
I was very happy with this deal, especially given the fact that my Kindle was out of warranty.
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #42
Apollofortynine
Apollofortynine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Then that's pretty awesome, you'd have 2 fully usable kindles, getting the second one for 30% off. Not to shabby
Apollofortynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Problem now solved.

I've given the Kindle 3g with the lighted cover to my sister. She dropped her older 2 (US) Kindle and the upper 1/5 of her screen was damaged.

She's OK with the crack on the Kindle 3g.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #44
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
OP is overreacting a little bit. I mean it IS out of warranty.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.P View Post
OP is overreacting a little bit. I mean it IS out of warranty.

No need now to overreact!

My sister now enjoys a better screen than what she had before. Too, the crack doesn't bother her!

All is well.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote