Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Alternative Firmware for Sony PRS-300 Breaks Calibre communication.

Well. As I am crazy about trying to get the best out of my devices/new features, I tried the alternative firmware for the Sony PRS-300 that is out (listed in Sony Dev section on Mobileread I believe). After, whether I am booted into the Sony software or not, it breaks communication somehow with the Sony Reader.....
I get, when plugging it in, "Error communicating with this device"
and this:
oneType' object has no attribute 'xpath'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 65, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 272, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 133, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 158, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 141, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 129, in initialize_XML_cache
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\sony_cache.py", line 89, in __init__
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'xpath'

So, I figure, while the software isn't that fabulous, it certainly isn't enough to make me give up my calibre! Working on resetting the reader now....
p.s. I have another one (girlfriends) and hers connects up just fine, and that is the only difference I can figure, so......
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Looks like the main memory of the reader doesn't have a Sony-style database at the right place in the reader. That is never supposed to happen, and calibre cannot recover from it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Hrmmm.... good to know info.
I first deleted the Alternate Firmware files that were placed on it, but same problem.
Then, decided to try a hard reset, and lo and behold no more problem. Just thought I would put this out there for the PRS-300 people (and possible other sony readers?) who love Calibre like I do.
It is strange, though, that the database would be deleted somehow. According to the author of that firmware, only things are added. I may try again with the new update to it and report back here if it still breaks communications.....
THanks for the reply!
-Jotek
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotekman View Post
I first deleted the Alternate Firmware files that were placed on it, but same problem.
Then, decided to try a hard reset, and lo and behold no more problem. Just thought I would put this out there for the PRS-300 people (and possible other sony readers?) who love Calibre like I do.
It is strange, though, that the database would be deleted somehow. According to the author of that firmware, only things are added. I may try again with the new update to it and report back here if it still breaks communications.....
THanks for the reply!
-Jotek
Thank you for your reports. Can you please specify which version of our firmware are you using?
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
LOGANSROLL
LOGANSROLL began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotekman View Post
THanks for the reply!
-Jotek
I purchased a PRS-300 for my wife and it seemed to me that she was having alot of trouble getting to her books. I believe with the digital editions library. Finally she gave in to another ereader and left the sony just sitting there so,,,,me being a tinkerer of sorts could not help trying to find an easier way to purchase,download,and read. Well low and behold I came across calibre and it was love at first sight,everything looked like it was layed out for easy use.I have yet to get to it and am now just resweaching others experiences with it and it sounds like the way to go. Oh by the way,my wife had purchased two books and they are on the device but seems to be frozen up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Logan

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-16-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Changed case
LOGANSROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Plug it in to computer via USB and fully charge.
Unplug and plug it in again and see if computer recognizes it
If this doesn't work search for hard reste in Sony mobile read forum

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote