Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Zeitlos
Connoisseur
Zeitlos began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302 ist im Anflug
Unhappy E-Reader for PDF / E-reader für PDF

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an e-reader which I can use with a lot of PDF-files (copies, "original PDF")
As a student I'll have to read a lot of texts, and nowadays most of my profs put their scripts online for us to print and work with.
I've allready got a Pocketbook (602?) and a kindle touch. The latter is my newest (about half a year) acquisition and pretty great for reading books, copying words / passages or highlighting them.
Everything works great in combination with Calibre.
BUT there's a catch when it comes to PDF-Files from websites or scanned pdf-files. I can't work with these texts proberly, because I have no idea how to highlight and / or copy certain passages / words.
In my oppinion the problem with scanned texts and PDF-files is that the programs don't know where the lines start / end and that they therefore see these files not for what they are, but more of a picture than columns and lines.
You wont's consider me an expert on this topic, I'm more like a newby when it comes to progamming.

First question:
Does anyone of you know a useful program that can solve my problem respectively is there any application for that matter at all?

Second question:
Can you recommend any ebook-reader (important to me is size and resolution) that's able to deal with my problem and can be operated with touch-gestures?

Many thanks for you help in advance and best regards

Zeitlos

Last edited by Zeitlos; 06-06-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Zeitlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
The PDF scanned document are "pictures", so you can't select a line or part.
You could try to use an OCR like the good ABBYY Finereader.

I don't know what you understand when you said "important to me is size and resolution" : little or big screen ? If you are looking for big screen : ONYX M92 (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92), you can go to the forum : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220

You can compare with a Pocketbook.

You can put some examples of files and ask for a particular test.

Last edited by Randy11; 06-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Zeitlos
Connoisseur

Hi and thanks for your quick reply.
As a screen I'd like to have a non-glaring, big one (9 inches should suffice), with a very good resolution that I can work on for several hours without having to stop (recharching or weight isn't an issue, or at least not a big one.

Sorry, but I couldn't figure out what you meant by "OCR". Would you be so kind and help me out here?

Is the Onyx M92 able to work with my scanned PDFs? If so, could I send you a file and you try to hightlight certain lines respectively add annotations? This'll be a really big favor, but it would help an awful lot.

Last edited by Zeitlos; 06-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OCR : Optical character recognition, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical...er_recognition
ABBY Finereader :http://finereader.abbyy.com/professional/

You can put the file here or send it to me in PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
Zeitlos
Connoisseur

you got mail
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard

Reply send by PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Randy11
Wizard

The file is in landscape mode, you can see the first picture of my M92, sorry not enough light.

I've rotated the file (pdftk) and make a zoom on a page. It's possible to draw on the file but not to annote, because your file is a picture, not a text.

The scan of the paper seems curious, it isn't like the scan of paper like I do when I user a scanner...

If the PDF is a text PDF, you could annotate the document.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landscape1.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	107063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrible1.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	107064  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Get a Nook STR, root it and add the free PDF reading app called Orion. Orion was designed specifically to display PDF files on small e-ink screens.

Orion App

If you can't get a Nook, the new Onyx runs Android.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post

If the PDF is a text PDF, you could annotate the document.
Or if PDF is PDF image with text layer in the background.

We can easily produce such text layer in PDF image by quickly OCR-ing it as "exact image" (20-30 min. for an average book) in Adobe Acrobat, Abbyy Finereader etc. because there is usually no need for detailed OCR behind "exact image" that will just double the needed time.

Last edited by markom; 06-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Get a Nook STR, root it and add the free PDF reading app called Orion. Orion was designed specifically to display PDF files on small e-ink screens.

Orion App

If you can't get a Nook, the new Onyx runs Android.
Or install Kindlepdfviewer(KOReader) on any Kindle.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2466450

Last edited by markom; 06-16-2013 at 04:16 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote