Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Words in your dictionary word log?

As a spin-off from the "Why does an ereader need a dictionary?" thread, I thought it might be fun to list some of the items in your log of looked-up words. Here are some of mine, a combination of words I didn't have a clue about, words I was pretty sure I knew, but need to double-check, and words that I knew, but it struck me to wonder how the (somewhat mediocre) Sony dictionary defined it.

Recently logged words:

halal
haram
bespoke
Alexandretta
Mahdi
Isakederun
deliquesce
heterodox
Tabriz
Qom
melliferous
halva
semolina
prig
cosmopolis
semiosis
elision
krall
salubrious
apparatchiks
kenning
louche
recondite
eisteddfods
polysemy
ubiquinone
mooncalf
insouciance
lugubrious
irascible
aspidistra
quintessence
dudgeon
secateurs
skiving
agapanthus
hagridden
bracken
punting
Satsuma
popinjay
pouffe
mugwump

(I see that 13 of the words from this list aren't in Firefox's spellchecker.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My most recent entries:

caryatid
paraventricular
helicoidal
mangonel
chalybeate
valetudinarian
tonneau
sclerotic
pelisses
tippets
feculent
scorbutic
petrel

Are you using the American or British dictionary? I prefer the British one.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Are you using the American or British dictionary? I prefer the British one.
I use the American one. When I first bought the Sony, I did some comparisons between what words are in there and the definitions and decided the American version was more useful, but now have no memory whatsoever of how I reached that decision.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
How do you look up your word log without having to look through each book? Or did you go through each of your books to compile your list?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

On my PRS-350, the "word log" is in the options menu when you have the dictionary open.
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
carbuncle (gross!)
perfidy
ptomaine
facile (a word I've heard many times and never quite understood what it meant)
doxology
surrey
quirt
freshet
swale
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and I didn't know my Sony had a word log so thanks!

eP
Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had not heard of "freshet" before - my latest lookup was "jeremiad".
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
These are the ones I had in that other thread - hope noone minds the re-posting.

taradiddles
popinjay
scalawag
codswallop
chortle
abreactions
postprandial
veldt

I don't have my PRS 350 with me, on which I have been reading recently (only the 950 and that does not get used much in terms of dictionary... I use it to read newspapers and magazines). But I'll drag my 350 to work tomorrow and dig into the word log.

The English - rather than American - dictionary is what I use most as well.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard

I had a babysitter call my daughter a scalawag after a tough night with her. I was taken aback and then I laughed.

eP
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My word log is empty. My dictionary is wasting away from lack of use.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #12
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Here are mine.

salopettes
messiah
sinecure
vieux jeu
blancmange
risible
Moloch
Esther
agley
desuetude