Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #31
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
Oh I hear you. When I was sure my book was perfect (ha ha haaargh!) I sent it to a copy editor who proof and copy edited it.

Then I uploaded it to lulu and printed off a copy which I read and edited, I decided to continue until I found no errors.
I did this 17 times.
I gave it to a friendly grammar nazi who found more errors and edited it again.
I had to do 5 Lightning Source proofs too...
I signed it off this morning and found two errors flagged up on that page 99 site this afternoon.

You are not alone!

Cheers

MTM
Ditto. Typos are like zombies. They refuse to die. I delude myself that Xenolith is now finally pure, but I doubt it. I should offer readers a prize for finding more. We shouldn't feel so bad, though. I recently found a typo in Sol Stein's (famous editor) book on editing.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #32
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
Ditto. Typos are like zombies. They refuse to die. I delude myself that Xenolith is now finally pure, but I doubt it. I should offer readers a prize for finding more. We shouldn't feel so bad, though. I recently found a typo in Sol Stein's (famous editor) book on editing.
Ha! Phnark! There's poetic justice for you! Poor, poor Sol Stein! Yeh, it could be lots worse, my book could be about editing!

Cheers

MTM

Last edited by M T McGuire; 11-02-2010 at 06:28 PM.
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #33
P.A.Woodburn
Enthusiast
P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.P.A.Woodburn can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: none
I did hire an editor.

I did hire an editor, and it cost more than $1000.00. No one has complained about the editing but that is a lot of money to recoup.
P.A.Woodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #34
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.Woodburn View Post
I did hire an editor, and it cost more than $1000.00. No one has complained about the editing but that is a lot of money to recoup.
Ah... my editor was £380 which, I think, is about $700. She was an excellent copy and grammar editor but in future I think I may get somebody else to do a proof on top.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #35
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
Actually a lot of authors I know do fix errors that they get from reviewers and then rewrite if they think the reports had merit. I can't think of a single author that wouldn't appreciate having typos pointed out - especially if in digital formats or files (POD) that can be fixed relatively easily.

I add a typo count to the end of my reviews (no details, just the count). I may or may not mention it briefly in the review if it is excessive. Ultimately, my reviews are for the reader, not the author.

I do send the author a list of the typos I find. I figure if I am going to point them out then the least I can do is help them find and eradicate the peskies. I will also revise the typo count if they notify me that an updated version is available with the typos fixed (which I check first). So far, the authors seem to appreciate getting a list of typos, or maybe they are pretending to appreciate it but are really swearing at me under their breath Either way, they end up with a cleaner copy.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #36
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
I do send the author a list of the typos I find. I figure if I am going to point them out then the least I can do is help them find and eradicate the peskies. I will also revise the typo count if they notify me that an updated version is available with the typos fixed (which I check first)..
Very cool , and quite a bit of work for you. Much appreciated.
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote