Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
jstabe
Enthusiast
jstabe began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
ePub vs Mobi

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right place.

I have always had my ebooks in mobi format, probably just because I'm used to buying from Amazon. But since buying an Android tablet, I've become frustrated with the Kindle app. I went looking for something else to read with and discovered that not many readers handle mobi. I did find Moon+ Reader and here's where my questions come from.

I use Calibre to organize and then Calibre Companion to add books to my tablet. When I import books into Moon+ Reader, there are multiple problems with the books: dashes in between the words of a book title, tags I've never used added to books, tags I have added disappearing, and cover problems. I decided to try with ePub and none of that happens.

So, is this a Moon+ Reader problem? Is it something in calibre? Or is it because ePub is better (?) than mobi?

I guess I'm just curious as to whether or not it would be better to switch to ePub format.
jstabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
My .02 ...

It's always better to keep your documents in an open format like ePub...if for nothing else than keeping them portable. I have heard that Calibre occasionally has some issues with converting to mobi, but I haven't seen it personally. Try using Kindle previewer/kindlegen to convert a clean ePub...you shouldn't have any issues that way.

Cheers
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
jstabe
Enthusiast

It does seem like ePub is the more customizable of the two. And it's definitely supported by more readers.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No reason at all to use Mobi these days. Use ePub for most devices, and KF8 (essentially ePub in a wrapper) for Kindles.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No reason at all to use Mobi these days. Use ePub for most devices, and KF8 (essentially ePub in a wrapper) for Kindles.
I have done several poetry ebooks in which the ePub version honours page-break-inside:avoid, but the KF8 version derived from the ePub doesn't.

KF8 still has a way to go, in my opinion at least.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
jstabe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm starting to realize that. I think at this point it's more habit than anything else for me. Time to change that!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstabe View Post
I'm starting to realize that. I think at this point it's more habit than anything else for me. Time to change that!
ePub definitely. It's just so much easier to edit an ePub eBook then a Mobi eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
jstabe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ePub definitely. It's just so much easier to edit an ePub eBook then a Mobi eBook.
I'm starting to see that. And calibre has some great plugins that help with ePub.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstabe View Post
I'm starting to see that. And calibre has some great plugins that help with ePub.
Quality Check and Modify ePub are two very good plugins to use with ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I have done several poetry ebooks in which the ePub version honours page-break-inside:avoid, but the KF8 version derived from the ePub doesn't.
That's up to the reading application... although when talking about KF8, reading application and format are pretty much the same thing. But I'm sure there are plenty of ePub readers that do not honour page-break-inside:avoid either.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Jellby, in essence you are right, but... With the readers it is a choice whether or not to support it. The ePUB format does support it. With the KF8 format essentially there is only one vendor/device that can handle it. So, apparently they decided it is not part of the format.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are there other methods that can be used to achieve the same effect?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe "display: inline-block" works in KF8/Kindle (but it is not officially supported in ePub).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote