Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
@Jesse I forgot to mention that I'm outside of the US. I downloaded a PDF using my Macbook and moved it to my Kindle Documents folder using USB.
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
@alfarhan - That shouldn't matter. That's one of the ways I've been testing. But do try the uninstall and reinstall of 0.06
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Savory is not working for me. I think it's installed properly, followed the instructions and my Version string is "2.0.2 (309510017) + screensaver hack 0.3 UNSU", the rest of the string is not visible, too long
The savory-image.ext3 is in my system folder and the update file was in my root (not there anymore, disappears after install?)
Tried to restart a few times, no change. Running 0.06 of Savory.
Things that might be different with my Kindle; It's running the screensaver hack, it's not registered, wifi has always been turned off.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
prutwo
prutwo began at the beginning.

Found a bug (I think)

I tried installing the latest version (with the image PDF generation as well).
It seems to me that when copying a file over by USB savory is not seeing it as a new file. When I tried downloading via the browser, it DID see and Here are the specifics:

Savory Install Process:

1. Stock Kindle:
Version: Kindle 2.0.2 (309510017)

2. Download Savory latest version (with "perfect" PDF conversion)
http://savory.googlecode.com/files/s...2009-04-06.zip
Copied to system folder.

3. Download Savory installer:
http://savory.googlecode.com/files/u...avory-0.06.bin
Copied to root folder

4. Update my kindle (Kindle restarts)

5. Version now says:
Version: Kindle 2.0.2 (309510017) UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.06

6. Download a simple PDF from the net:
http://www.google.com/webmasters/doc...rter-guide.pdf
Copied to documents folder (via USB)

Nothing happens

Based on some of your replies, I figured that downloading the PDF from the internal browser might make a difference.

So I removed the PDF from my Kindle. Uploaded it to my own web site and then downloaded it via the browser.
(I renamed it seoguide.pdf before I uploaded it to make it easier to type the URL.)

Now I DO see an entry on the homepage:
Converting seoguide.pdf

I was about to write a post with just this, but after a few minutes I now see the actual PDF entry as well.

Search Engine Optimzation Sta ..

It's NOT the image version, just a converted PDF.

I waited a few more minutes hoping the image version will appear as well, but after 5 minutes, nothing.

I've also attached a couple of screenshots and the contents on the savory folders from my device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	root_screenshot.png
Views:	795
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	27198   Click image for larger version

Name:	system_folder_screenshot.png
Views:	702
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	27199  
Attached Files
File Type: zip savory-conversion-tmp.zip (5.43 MB, 579 views)
prutwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

@Ophir - It looks like it's getting _almost_ all the way through the PDF -> Image conversion. I'll try to roll a new release this evening with better debugging output at the least.
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
wildrider
wildrider began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Sounds great...but a Quick question. I've installed the Screensaver update from the Thread "I want my family back" on here. Will that be an issue with installing and using Savory? Thanks
wildrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #22
amazemeid
amazemeid began at the beginning.

Device: K2
Same problem here

Jesse, same here with me like alfarhan and prtwo.

Version: Kindle 2.0 (291330095) UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.06

Moved the pdf via USB to document directory and nothing happened. Tried reinstalled twice, same.
amazemeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #23
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Is there anything liek this for K1?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
jesse
Connoisseur

Folks with issues with USB-copy issues -- I have an idea of what's going wrong. I hope to produce a new test version for you late tonight.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I just wanted to say this sounds like a great program, and thank you Jesse for writing it and debugging it!

I'm a little too chicken to be an "early adopter" but I am watching with great interest!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
spookcomix
spookcomix began at the beginning.

Jesse,

Looks like I'm having the same USB copy problem. I'll be happy to test and report my results with your new version tonight (or whenever you post it).

--SC
spookcomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #27
jesse
Connoisseur

Can folks please try the latest beta savory-image.zip from http://code.google.com/p/savory/downloads/list (savory-image-2009-04-08.zip)

It should now correctly autodetect files as soon as you disconnect your USB cable. It also has some font improvements.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #28
spookcomix
spookcomix began at the beginning.

Not quite there yet for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Can folks please try the latest beta savory-image.zip from http://code.google.com/p/savory/downloads/list (savory-image-2009-04-08.zip)
Jesse,

Downloaded the new file and replaced savory-image.ext3. Restarted the Kindle...and it started converting the two PDFs I put on the device last night, testing your previous version. (That said, it's safe to say that this version of Savory notices "new" files that existed before Savory was installed.)

However, the title of the file that remained after first conversion was "Unknown." Looking at it, it appears to be a "textual conversion" of the PDF I had put on the Kindle.

It began converting the second one immediately after the first. After it was converted, I checked it (it was another copy of the same original PDF with a different filename), and it was also named "Unknown," and appeared to be a "textual conversion."

I'm not seeing this newer type of "rendered images" conversion that you're talking about. Is there a setting I should change?

Also, incidentally, last night after I posted about my experience with the beta, I downloaded the current stable version and replaced the beta savory-image.ext3 with the stable one. After restarting, nothing happened.

--SC

[Update: Pending further instruction, I've run the Savory uninstaller and removed the folders Savory created. I'll take a fresh run at it as necessary.]

Last edited by spookcomix; 04-08-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added "Update"
spookcomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #29
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yupp, tried it and now it's detecting my files, yay! thanks jesse
I did get one "unknown" as spookcomix mentioned above, don't know what caused it and will test some more before I post details.
Both "text" and "png" conversions worked for me.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #30
supergeri
supergeri began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post

It should now correctly autodetect files as soon as you disconnect your USB cable. It also has some font improvements.
Hey Jesse! Great mod, really makes the kindle more useful.

I also got it to work on this version (whereas it had previously not). I tested it with a small pdf with some graphics, the graphics did not show up in the conversion.

I had 2 questions:

1) is there a size limit to the pdf files? I realize it can take pretty long for a larger file.

2) if you are converting a larger pdf file and the Kindle goes into idle (screensaver goes on) will the background conversion process continue to run?
supergeri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory