Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #61
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've discovered that ebooks.com has some books I've been looking for in MS Reader format that are only available in Mobi format at Fictionwise, Books On Board, etc. I've largely ignored them since their prices suck compared to others, but if your looking for a LIT that you can't find elsewhere it might be worth a look.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #62
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've discovered that ebooks.com has some books I've been looking for in MS Reader format that are only available in Mobi format at Fictionwise, Books On Board, etc. I've largely ignored them since their prices suck compared to others, but if your looking for a LIT that you can't find elsewhere it might be worth a look.
I second that. I once bought a book from them (I think it was The Blood Knight by Greg Keyes), because they were the only store who also carried it as MS .lit.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I will have to remember to check out ebooks.com if I am looking for something I cannot get otherwise in LIT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #64
Inna
Inna began at the beginning.

Device: PDF
Hopefully, you'll find anything interesting for you there
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/
Inna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 AM   #65
Tanzaku
Enthusiast
Tanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3
Feedbooks

Is there a reason no one has mentioned www.Feedbooks.com? I find their PDFs a joy to read with a better font selection than Manybooks.net.
Tanzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #66
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzaku View Post
Is there a reason no one has mentioned www.Feedbooks.com? I find their PDFs a joy to read with a better font selection than Manybooks.net.
Hey Tanzaku,

You're the one who uploaded Trollope's books right ? Very nice job !

Glad that you like our PDF output, I prefer using PDF too. Once I've selected the right font and right size before generating the file, I find that I have a better overall experience reading PDF files. Hyphenation and real chapter heading are the two main reasons why I use PDF files instead of a reflowable format on my readers (Sony Reader and iLiad).

And for those who prefer using reflowable formats, there's Mobipocket and epub available. With the expected release of Adobe DE on the PRS-505, Feedbooks should provide both fixed and reflowable files for every e-ink device available.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #67
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Why don't you add LRF output too? It shouldn't be any harder than mobi or epub.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #68
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Why don't you add LRF output too? It shouldn't be any harder than mobi or epub.
Well last time I heard something about Adobe DE on the Reader, it said that the release would be in January. Pretty pointless in this case to support LRF when epub is already available.

+ We have a whole lot of work to do on things like RSS, dedicated application for the iLiad, adding new features on the website etc...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But we are not sure that this January release will include the 500. So for the 500 owners, LRF would be a good idea just in case.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #70
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
www.mybookstoresandmore.com

www.mybookstoreandmore.com should be added to the ebook list. It carries books by Samhain and a couple of other publishers. They recently changed their site and now allows you to download purchased ebooks in multiple formats, instead of being locked into one single format.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
www.mybookstoreandmore.com should be added to the ebook list. It carries books by Samhain and a couple of other publishers. They recently changed their site and now allows you to download purchased ebooks in multiple formats, instead of being locked into one single format.

Amy
What formats do they sell? You don't get to find this out until after you've spent the money on the eBook. That is not good business practice. I want to know what it is I am purchasing before I actually purchase anything.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #72
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What formats do they sell? You don't get to find this out until after you've spent the money on the eBook. That is not good business practice. I want to know what it is I am purchasing before I actually purchase anything.
Apparently, whatever is supported by the Ebook Technologies ETI-2 device they resell.

My Book Store's ETI-2 page isn't terribly informative about the ebook format, though it does give technical specs on the device.

Ebook Technologies website says a bit more, and implies thier format is based on OEBPS
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #73
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Apparently, whatever is supported by the Ebook Technologies ETI-2 device they resell.

My Book Store's ETI-2 page isn't terribly informative about the ebook format, though it does give technical specs on the device.

Ebook Technologies website says a bit more, and implies thier format is based on OEBPS
______
Dennis
ETI-2 is an eBookwise 1150 and only supports IMP without conversion on a pc or mac. OEBPS is supported using eBook Publisher which runs on a pc or mac (Windows or MacOS).

sassanik has been exuberant and posted this same data in several forums and in one of them she said they support HTML, PDF, IMP, and LIT.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #74
mike w
mike w began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Public Library as source of eBooks?

I'm curious if this is something useful to other users of this site- here in Washington, DC the public library (http://www.dclibrary.org/dcpl/cwp/vi...6632&dcplNav=|) has many ebooks available for download in the Adobe format. Not a lot of selection and apparently only available to DC residents and, maybe MD and VA residents by reciprocity ( not clear--a difficult web site to navigate). But I've downloaded and read a couple of titles on my Sony PRS 505 with no problem. Do other public libraries have ebooks for download? And can residents of other jurisdictions access them?
mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #75
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike w View Post
Do other public libraries have ebooks for download? And can residents of other jurisdictions access them?
Yes to the first: the New York Public Library has ebooks available in PDF and Mobipocket format. (More PDF than Mobi, however.)

Normally no to the second. You must be a registered user of the library with a library card to checkout paper books or download electronic ones. This tends to restrict things to local residents.

Vendors like Overdrive provide ebook services to libraries as a turn-key operation, relieving libraries of the need to develop the capability.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote