Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Well, please tell us how your T1 compared on battery life when playing audio compared to playing audio through other audio playing devices.

My own experience was that it was not much different, to the extent that I could not tell. Which was not a surprise to me as, in the main, they have batteries no, or only little bigger than the T1.

In the end all I am saying is that it is an uneconomic decision to buy anything less than a 16Gb card on current pricing, and for not a lot more one can get a 32GB card which provides some future proofing for use in future devices . It is not as if what may be surplus capacity to you is going to rot away and so be wasted and lost. They are not like milk, bread, etc.

But, if you and others want to buy a 2GB card well you are entitled to, your decision, not mine. As long as you are happy. But it is bad advice to infer to others that such a purchase is best for them.

So I'll leave the nay sayers with that and move on.
You do what you want but if you use the T1 as an mp3 players when it has such a tiny battery I would honestly expect the battery to be wrecked completely within a year.

Incidentally as I've posted before I do actually use a 32gb card but I'm using less than 1gb of it look through my post history if you want to verify it, it's a complete waste which is why I've suggested 8gb at most.

Last edited by Teknikal; 03-28-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
...but if you use the T1 as an mp3 players when it has such a tiny battery I would honestly expect the battery to be wrecked completely within a year...
That is a new and quite unusual claim about the T1 that I have not heard made authoritatively before. Could you describe the basis of your claim?

You can be as technical as you like as I am quite familiar with most battery chemistries, including Li-Ion/Li-Poly, and their application in personal electronic devices, telecommunications equipment, plant, etc.

Would you expand as to what it is about the T1 battery's construction that results in it being inferior to those in audio players and cellular phones (they when used for playing audio) which use the same chemistry and, as I said before, have similar battery capacities.

For example the current iPod Touch's battery is 1030mAh (and the versions before its release last October had smaller batteries in them) and they do not seem to fail after one year (note that the Touch battery is also required to support the playing of both video and audio, as well as a still and video camera). My current cellular phone (Nokia N8) which is required to meet far more demanding demands on the battery than audio (e.g. high speed data, telephony, backlighting, still and video camera operation, playing videos/games, gps, navigation, etc. and also multitask those things) as well as my use of it for audio books and music with its only a little larger capacity 1200mAh battery, seems to have survived with little harm to its battery after more than 2 years. Also, like the T1, both the iPod and the N8 have internal non user replaceable batteries, so that is not a point of differentiation.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 03-29-2013 at 12:14 AM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #18
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basis of my claim is it contains a 1,000mah battery even the cheapest phone contains at least a 1,500mah battery and generally the smaller the mah the less effective life they have and the worse they hold a charge.

Smaller the battery the faster it degrades when pushed they die a lot faster than a bigger battery as well in overall lifespan, I think it's very cheap of Sony to put such a battery in a device of this size although maybe it's common with ereaders, it's definitely not a suitable battery for media though.

Ipod contains a 1,440 li poly battery by the way it's very cheap of Apple as well, my 3rd gen touch is dead now because of it even though it doesn't sound it that's probably at least double the lifespan of 1,000 mah.

While it's true mp3 playing needs very little power it will still kill the reader a whole lot faster in my opinion.

Last edited by Teknikal; 03-29-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Basis of my claim is it contains a 1,000mah battery even the cheapest phone contains at least a 1,500mah battery and generally the smaller the mah the less effective life they have and the worse they hold a charge.

Smaller the battery the faster it degrades when pushed they die a lot faster than a bigger battery as well in overall lifespan, I think it's very cheap of Sony to put such a battery in a device of this size although maybe it's common with ereaders, it's definitely not a suitable battery for media though.

Ipod contains a 1,440 li poly battery by the way it's very cheap of Apple as well, my 3rd gen touch is dead now because of it even though it doesn't sound it that's probably at least double the lifespan of 1,000 mah.

While it's true mp3 playing needs very little power it will still kill the reader a whole lot faster in my opinion.
So all your opinion regarding the T1 battery life, no facts as I requested. And completely ignoring the example I gave of battery life experienced by smartphones, of far greater power demand than the T1 but batteries of similar capacity. Apple, you claim, is "cheap" too apparently. You seem to have now walked away your claim that T1 batteries would fail in a year if used for audio (now saying "whole lot faster").

And where you claim facts for the iPods you are in error so I have hunted out the evidence for you. Your 3rd Gen Touch was actually approx. 790mAh (refer to http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod-...eration/1158/2 for a photo of the battery out of a disassembled Touch). Despite your claim otherwise, the 5th Gen Touch capacity is as I said 1030mAh (refer to the photo in set 16 in the teardown at http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod+...ardown/10803/2 where you will also see that Gen Touch uses a Li-Ion battery, not Li-Poly as you claim (same chemistry though, of course). Even the 160GB Classic is less than 1000mAh and it has the power demands of a drive to spin. But, of course, you regard these as all being cheap products.

I also see in your other recent posts that you are unhappy with your T1 over a number of matters so it would seem your opinion, and that is all you have expressed, on battery life will be coloured by that. So I suspect we can safely discard them, which I have done and will leave you with your apparently unhappy experience with your T1 and say no more.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 03-29-2013 at 04:23 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
Teknikal
Fanatic

Point is it has a 1,000mah battery which is really a joke these days just to put it into perspective I have a 1,200mah micro charger which only boosts my phone by around 20%, but with 1,000mah realistically you can only expect a couple of years even if you barely use it and if my iPod really only had a battery around 800mah that's even more conniving of Apple than I thought and I already thought they were the worst offenders with 1,440mah in modern devices.

T1 just isn't a good device for audio and even if it was it wouldn't justify a 32gb memory card. My entire music collection fits at around 10gb and contains close to 4,000 music tracks I'm sure the T1 would choke and have fits if I put it onto it's SD card it already struggles with my 1,000+ book collection and imagining 32gb of it I think there would be no chance.

If you want to use it as a music player it's your device and if you don't have a lot of files maybe it will work well for you but I can't think of why anyone would it's extremely basic and bad at what it does. I've no doubt it will also shorten it's lifespan considerably I'd really say if you want to listen to mp3's use a dedicated player or your phone.

On a slightly less relevant topic but still connected

I've actually been toying with the thought of physically changing my T1 and putting a 10,000mah battery in it which would mean making it maybe a cm thicker but I probably never will, the temptation only comes to me because I have a battery in the right dimensions already but I suspect altering the back would be quite a task still it does make me wonder why a manufacturer hasn't actually done it I think you could easily have a reader that lasted a year between charges even when used regularly.
Advert