Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Clash of the 5" eBook Readers!

I currently own a Sony PRS 505. I have read extensivly on PDAs (Windows Mobile, and Palm OS).

I love the 505. It goes everwhere with me. As far as I am concerned, the 500 (also owned) CREATED the eBook market. Everything prior to that was "a promise of things to come."

The only thing that would draw me away from the 505 is a smaller, more pocket-able reader. To that end, I have been closely watching the emergence of the 5" devices.

I am currently tracking three:

Cybook Opus
Samsung SNE-50K
BeBook Mini

It seems that they will all support ePUB (the emerging standard for ebooks). Of the three, the BeBook will likely be cheapest (<US$200), but the others sport some nice features to off set a higher price.

Currently, the Opus is at the top of my list - mostly because it is available now.

I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say on the topic, and to let me know if I am missing any.

Please - let's not debate the merits of a 5" screen vs a 9" screen, or wired vs wireless, etc...
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I'll be getting the EZ Readxer Pocket Pro - same as Mini BeBook. It does almost all I want and is/will_be cheaper. Plus I don't care for Bookeen's lack of support.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The wiki: E-book Reader Matrix includes the PocketBook 360° with similar hardware to the Opus but different firmware. The 360°'s plastic screen cover is a neat idea. I don't think it will support mobile ADE (i.e. not DRMed ePub) though.

Now that folders have been added, the Opus has a better library view (including thumbnails) than the Hanlin and the device looks cleaner. We don't know about the quality of the ePub/PDF support yet, i.e. how different their mobile ADE implementations will be.

I like my EZ Reader and I will probably be getting a EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5) as soon as they are available. Having at least a few different firmware variants to choose from has been a plus on the V3 (most are very similar, but Lbook's is distinctive). OpenInkPot is also a nice option. This could in principle be ported to the Opus, but it should be easier to port to the V5.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post
I currently own a Sony PRS 505. I have read extensivly on PDAs (Windows Mobile, and Palm OS).

I love the 505. It goes everwhere with me. As far as I am concerned, the 500 (also owned) CREATED the eBook market. Everything prior to that was "a promise of things to come."

The only thing that would draw me away from the 505 is a smaller, more pocket-able reader. To that end, I have been closely watching the emergence of the 5" devices.

Cybook Opus
Samsung SNE-50K
BeBook Mini

It seems that they will all support ePUB (the emerging standard for ebooks). Of the three, the BeBook will likely be cheapest (<US$200), but the others sport some nice features to off set a higher price.

Currently, the Opus is at the top of my list - mostly because it is available now.

I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say on the topic, and to let me know if I am missing any.

Please - let's not debate the merits of a 5" screen vs a 9" screen, or wired vs wireless, etc...
Dear JEMelby:

I am under an NDA and cannot say much until release. BUT... Astak is coming out with a 5 inch Pocket PRO soon and this thing is essentially instantaneous on page turns and has TTS and ADE. OH, it also comes in 6 colors picked out by MobileRead Forum members. It includes the leather case and earbuds for the MP3. Different from all other 5 inch, this one is faster, lighter, and simply beautiful.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Concerning Cybook Opus, I advise you to consider only what it is able to do now (and what has been confirmed by people who already bought it), and not rely on anything it *might* be promised to do in the future - based on my past experience with Bookeen those promises don't materialize.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well the opus i liked it.
it have style (though it's a question of taste).
I liked having two button on the right for next/previous page. Make it more ergonomic than gen 3
Accelerometter saves going into the menu.
Don't play music. (if that a criteria to you, well).
Reset is well hidden. (can be anoying in some situation I guess).
Have a micro sd reader and mini usb (aka standard stuff).

For the others, i kind of don't know them, so...

Quote:
Concerning any reader, I advise you to consider only what it is able to do now
fixed
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I will also be purchasing the Pocket Pro EZReader (which I have dubbed PEZ). I does everything that I want a reader to do, and nothing that I do not want a reader to do. Plus it'll be in my price range. I though this was impossible.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post

Cybook Opus
Samsung SNE-50K
BeBook Mini

THe SNE-50K looks very nice, it dubs as a eReader and also a notebook. The touchscreen sounds very interesting/promising. It's hard to really make any comment on this product because there is so little said. Specs aren't their, it's not clear if the device is eInk.

I'd also be interested in the BeBook just because of the price point.

Also one device you did not list was the Jetbook it also is priced under $200 and seems to be around 5". This device has a dictionary and they have used the 10key as a way to input data using a T9 keyboard. This device is not an eInk but that might not be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear JEMelby:

I am under an NDA and cannot say much until release. BUT... Astak is coming out with a 5 inch Pocket PRO soon and this thing is essentially instantaneous on page turns and has TTS and ADE. OH, it also comes in 6 colors picked out by MobileRead Forum members. It includes the leather case and earbuds for the MP3. Different from all other 5 inch, this one is faster, lighter, and simply beautiful.
Wow this sounds interesting. Those sound like some very nice features ... is that secure ADE?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Those sound like some very nice features ... is that secure ADE?
Yes. The EZ Reader Pocket Pro is a Hanlin V5. So far as I know the only Astak specific feature is multiple colors, which may be a big selling point judging by interest in the Cool-ER. In the future, Astak devices may also include eReader (with DRM) as well as mobile ADE which will be another difference from the standard Hanlin V5. There is lots more on the Pocket Pro at Adventures In eBook Reader Land.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow this sounds interesting. Those sound like some very nice features ... is that secure ADE?

=X=
It surprises me how many people are unfamiliar with the EZReader Pocket Pro, or even with the EZReader in general. With several threads committed solely for the EZReader line, and one for the EZReader Pocket Pro, with hundreds of posts, it would seem that everyone would know.

Now, please, nothing against you at all in any way, =X=. I'm simply making an observation. I'm glad more people are taking notice.

Even should they pick another device, I find it better to choose NOT to purchase a device, than to not know about it before purchasing another.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. The EZ Reader Pocket Pro is a Hanlin V5. So far as I know the only Astak specific feature is multiple colors, which may be a big selling point judging by interest in the Cool-ER. In the future, Astak devices may also include eReader (with DRM) as well as mobile ADE which will be another difference from the standard Hanlin V5. There is lots more on the Pocket Pro at Adventures In eBook Reader Land.
Very cool! I wonder if that will be the nice if that would be both the eReader format and the ePUB with the eReader DRM.

=X=
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. The EZ Reader Pocket Pro is a Hanlin V5. So far as I know the only Astak specific feature is multiple colors, which may be a big selling point judging by interest in the Cool-ER.
The best thing about these colours, they are all shades of earthtone, instead of the bright neon colours of the Cool-er, Ipods, etc that plague the land.

Slate Blue, a deep earthy orange, maroon, purple, and very nice eggshell white, and a very nice pink that is not a bright neon.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I wonder if that will be the nice if that would be both the eReader format and the ePUB with the eReader DRM.
When FictionWise (B&N) adds ePub to their reader SDK, a device with FictionWise and Adobe readers will presumably use different reader software for Adobe ePub and eReader ePub. DRM-free ePubs could then be read by either Reader, and hopefully you will be able to choose which one to use for DRM-free ePubs. However, that is still far into the future.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
It surprises me how many people are unfamiliar with the EZReader Pocket Pro, or even with the EZReader in general. With several threads committed solely for the EZReader line, and one for the EZReader Pocket Pro, with hundreds of posts, it would seem that everyone would know.
Now, please, nothing against you at all in any way, =X=. I'm simply making an observation. I'm glad more people are taking notice.
Even should they pick another device, I find it better to choose NOT to purchase a device, than to not know about it before purchasing another.
No sir I take no offense being called an ignoramus.
Actually your right about the general public not knowing much of what is out there. But one point you must understand the ebook industry has grown quick and it is hars to keep up with technology. Not only are there many players in the industry but each player has several products to chose from. Personally I think it will get worse as now there is new screen technology that can accomplish what the eInk claim to fame is. When I jumped in I could count all the models with my hands.
But getting back to your point I was not aware the whole industry existed until I saw the kindle advertise on there front page of Amazon. And even then I was not aware ther were other players in the market until I received the sony 505 for a gift.
=X=
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
No sir I take no offense being called an ignoramus.
Actually your right about the general public not knowing much of what is out there. But one point you must understand the ebook industry has grown quick and it is hars to keep up with technology. Not only are there many players in the industry but each player has several products to chose from. Personally I think it will get worse as now there is new screen technology that can accomplish what the eInk claim to fame is. When I jumped in I could count all the models with my hands.
But getting back to your point I was not aware the whole industry existed until I saw the kindle advertise on there front page of Amazon. And even then I was not aware ther were other players in the market until I received the sony 505 for a gift.
=X=
I am an ignoramus in most subjects, and a genius in only one. You could say I am a genius at being an ignoramus.

One think that i can't fault the Kindle for, what I actually 'praise' the Kindle for, is that it put the e-ink ebook reader in the news. Granted, Sony did it's part, but they targeted book readers more specifically, whereas Kindle targeted everyone.

That being said, I feel that the more ebook readers to come to market, the better you'll be able to find one that fits your niche, your style. Once they do away with all the DRM schemes and proprietary formats, where we can find the one reader that suits our needs, without worry of having to purchase from this store, or that website, the better the market will be.