Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #106
klu529
klu529 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwoman View Post
Having a heck of a time recently with my Literati. It was working fine since Christmas when I was gifted it. I've been reading epub books that I download from our public library. Now I can't delete the most recent expired four epub books. I just did a hard reset (back of reader) and then synced the library. That causes none of the books display on the screen -- but under settings, it says onboard storage is 35 mg of 210mb. So, to investigate this, I connect it to my Win7 desktop and open windows explorer/K drive/literati. There I see the four epub books; none are zero kb. I do the safe eject. Sometimes the epubs will reappear; other times they do not display. At all times, the onboard storage setting remains at 25 mg of 210 mg.

When I reconnect it to my PC and use adobe editions to view literati, I see the books once again. I hit delete on each book. I get a "failed" message. Each book's item info says it is expired.

Then I tried to move onto literati one new epub book. I get a message saying file not able to be copied -- i/o error.

Any ideas on how to fix this??
Sounds like the memory got corrupted. Have you tried running error-checking on it while connected to your computer?

For just the book issue, have you tried resetting back to the factory settings from the menu?

You can also try the procedure I describe in the post below this one.

Last edited by klu529; 03-18-2011 at 01:09 PM.
klu529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #107
klu529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When I 1st got my Literati I deleted ALL the Free books it came with! 6 weeks later the space they took up still says they are there! UGH!
The book info is stored in a database file. Deleting the book entry erases the title, but the actual data is still there. It's a flaw in the way this database file is kept.

Connect your device to a computer. Then go into the folder .kobo. You should see a file called KoboReader.sqlite, erase it, eject the drive, and disconnect. The device will recreate the file. NOTE: This will erase all your KOBO books. Just sync it to get anything you want back.

It will take time to recreate the file, maybe 4-5 minutes.

Once it's back, reconnect to your computer. Find the file again and you should see that it is only a few MB in size. Make a copy of this file. The next time you need to do this, just copy back the file instead of having the device recreate it.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #108
nwwoman
nwwoman began at the beginning.

Device: literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by klu529 View Post
Sounds like the memory got corrupted. Have you tried running error-checking on it while connected to your computer?

For just the book issue, have you tried resetting back to the factory settings from the menu?

You can also try the procedure I describe in the post below this one.
Oddly enough -- error-checking failed on it; resetting to factory setting does run but causes display to show no books only to have them reappear later; tried to delete the adobe reader folder. That kept getting me errors. It would not delete it.

Literati is exchanging it, for free. But wish I could fix it instead. One day it was fine. The next it began doing this. Strange.
nwwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #109
klu529

Sounds like the memory on your device got corrupted. You could try reinstalling the firmware manually. There is another thread on this forum about the Literati that has the steps.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #110
baker706
baker706 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwoman View Post
Oddly enough -- error-checking failed on it; resetting to factory setting does run but causes display to show no books only to have them reappear later; tried to delete the adobe reader folder. That kept getting me errors. It would not delete it.

Literati is exchanging it, for free. But wish I could fix it instead. One day it was fine. The next it began doing this. Strange.
I had a similar thing where one day my Literati was fine and and then it wasn't. I bought a book from the Kobo store from the Literati and also downloaded a couple of free books. All I got was black book images and when I open them it says content locked use your Adobe Digital ID. When I connect to the pc I can read those books in Adobe Digital Editions, but when I disconnect still can't read them. Then the on/off button got stuck on the in position and I can't turn it off/on unless I use a coin or something to press hard. I finally called the support number and they are replacing it.
baker706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #111
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
If you can't velcro it you may find something else that would work, though maybe not as well as the one that came with it.

I have my cover but carry it around in a DVD player/netbook bag that's a perfect fit. It's well padded, has extra pockets and has handles with shoulder strap options.
THANKS I going to look for one of these!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #112
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
When I 1st got my Literati I deleted ALL the Free books it came with! 6 weeks later the space they took up still says they are there! UGH!
So they dont make covers I can buy UGH!
I have the original case that my Literati came in and I'm not using it because I got the case that has batteries built in. I'd be glad to sell you this case if you are still interested. I'll sell it to you for $10 shipped to you. I've done a lot of selling things on Kindleboards.com and I have an Ebay identification I can give you if you want me to. Just let me know if you want the case. Thanks!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #113
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by klu529 View Post
The book info is stored in a database file. Deleting the book entry erases the title, but the actual data is still there. It's a flaw in the way this database file is kept.

Connect your device to a computer. Then go into the folder .kobo. You should see a file called KoboReader.sqlite, erase it, eject the drive, and disconnect. The device will recreate the file. NOTE: This will erase all your KOBO books. Just sync it to get anything you want back.

It will take time to recreate the file, maybe 4-5 minutes.

Once it's back, reconnect to your computer. Find the file again and you should see that it is only a few MB in size. Make a copy of this file. The next time you need to do this, just copy back the file instead of having the device recreate it.
I now have No Books & it wont even Download ANY Books!! DONT Do This!! I even Reset SEVERAL times has Not helped!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #114
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
I now have No Books & it wont even Download ANY Books!! DONT Do This!! I even Reset SEVERAL times has Not helped!!
Did you do a factory reset? It's under "Settings".
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #115
klu529

Quote:
The point of that was to remove all the books. That was suppose to happen. Not sure why it won't download. I've this several times and never had any trouble downloading. Are you sure you only erased the 1 file? If you erased other files, that could explain the problem. If that is the case, try a factory reset. Otherwise you will need to reinstall the update manually.

BTW, the rest button on the back does nothing but force the device to turn off, sort of like rebooting a computer. If there is an inherit error on the device, this won't fix it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #116
bdk
bdk began at the beginning.

Literati manual

I have been unable to find the Literati manual at The Sharper Image site as indicated in the Quick Start Guide. Is there anyone who can provide me with the PDF file or the online location of the manual. Thanks.
I have just received a Literati and it looks like this is an excellent site for help.
Thanks in advance for any help
BDK
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #117
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
I have been unable to find the Literati manual at The Sharper Image site as indicated in the Quick Start Guide. Is there anyone who can provide me with the PDF file or the online location of the manual. Thanks.
I have just received a Literati and it looks like this is an excellent site for help.
Thanks in advance for any help
BDK
Oh no! I didn't realize that they've taken down the support site. Wonder if there will be another one and if there is still official support somewhere.

Hold on! Just remembered it's Merchsource that handled the original site. I found this link for the Lookbook on their site and it appears to be all the same information. http://mscustomercare.com/lookbook/

Last edited by vjplo; 03-30-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: more info
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #118
bdk
bdk began at the beginning.

The Literati is being returned

Thanks VJPLO.
I have decided to return the device rather than deal with an upgrade which I can't find online. Not worth the effort for a unit that is not supported. Once again thanks.
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #119
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
http://www.literatireader.com/user-support.aspx

I'm not sure what site you are taking about being down, but this site is still up.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #120
mental_case
mental_case began at the beginning.

Hi. I've been searching all over the web for an answer to my problem, but none of the solutions seem to be working for me.
I got a Literati for X-Mas (how many times has that been said?) and it worked well for three months. I was able to put my ebooks in epub format on the internal HD and read them. I wasn't as pleased with its handling of pdf, but so it goes.
Last night I was downloading a free book (On the Origin of the Species) with WiFi when I got a strange message about my bookmarks being updated. When I returned to the library, all my books were gone. I can still see them on the internal memory when I connect my device to the computer, but the reader will not detect them. Plus, I cannot delete any files from the device without getting an error message. Also, Calibre will detect the device, but soon flashes an error message as well.
I know that the likely answer is the my file system has been corrupted, but I can't seem to make factory reset function as intended. It resets my time and date, but does nothing to the files still on the internal memory of the device. I even tried to reformat the device, but that too gave an error message. I tried hard resets galore, and nothing. After synching or disconnecting the USB, the "processing" screen takes foooooorever, but still fails to detect the books on the internal memory.
I'm ready to defenestrate this P.O.S. Basically right now it is a paperweight.

Calibre error message:
calibre, version 0.7.52
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\.driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 64, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 297, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 95, in get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 83, in _update_driveinfo_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\.driveinfo.calibre'

Help, please. I want my device back!
mental_case is offline   Reply With Quote