Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Calibre sets my reader to R/O

I've got a Sibrary G5, which Linux (I'm running Ubuntu 10.10) automounts (in my case at mountpoints /media/disk-1/ for the card and /media/BOOX Internal Memory for the internal memory). Using Dolphin (Ubuntu's file manager) or a command line I can copy files to the reader, rename, delete, the works, until I run Calibre. Calibre loads, detects the reader as a Boox, and then about thirty seconds later I get "Error communicating with device", and the following details:

Code:
(30, 'Read-only file system')

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 68, in run
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 288, in _books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 164, in books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 303, in sync_booklists
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 301, in write_prefix
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: u'/media/disk-1/.metadata.calibre'
And sure enough, I go back to Dolphin or the command line and I can no longer write to either the card or internal memory; they're both R/O. If I close out of Calibre, eject and then reconnect the reader, it's back to R/W as long as I don't run Calibre. As soon as I do, it's R/O again.

Any guesses?

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds as if you have two automounting systems fighting each other (system one and calibre one). When someone else reported a similar issue Kovid recommended either deleting (or renaming) the calibre automounter so that it no longer runs.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Kovid recommended either deleting (or renaming) the calibre automounter so that it no longer runs.
I googled "calibre automount" and this very thread popped up at the top of the list -- and I only posted 45 minutes ago. Wow.

Strike One: I turned up this, which creates a dummy /usr/bin/calibre-mount-helper, but that didn't fix my problem.

Strike Two: So I renamed /opt/calibre/calibre-mount-helper. Same luck.

Strike Three: So I un-renamed /opt/calibre/calibre-mount-helper, deleted the dummy /usr/bin/calibre-mount-helper, then unmounted my device (leaving it connected) in order to give Calibre a shot at mounting it itself. Same problem, slightly different details:

Code:
(30, 'Read-only file system')

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 68, in run
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 288, in _books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 164, in books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 303, in sync_booklists
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 301, in write_prefix
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: u'/media/BOOX Internal Memory (1)/.metadata.calibre'
--Nathanael
Old 09-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
I saw similar issues recently. I believe in my case I may have tried to connect my kobo while the devicev was attempting to access the internal memory. I am not certain though so I would need to retest

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre contains no code that will ever mount a device in ro mode. Most linux kernels remount a filesystem in read only mode if filesystem errors are detected. Look at your system log to see if that is happening.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
I had a similar problem. I seem to have solved it by switching to a system automount system that doesn't use HAL.

How is Calibre doing automount? (No need to get into the weeds, just a general description would do.)
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It call mount
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Nathanael
Groupie

All solved

You were right about the filesystem errors, errors, Kovid. What threw me was that it turned out only .metadata.calibre was corrupted, so that I could write to the card all day long as long as I never touched .metadata.calibre. But as soon as I tried to copy it from the command line, syslog threw a few hundred errors, and the fs was set r/o.

So I renamed .metadat.calibre, hoping Calibre would rebuilt it, but as soon as Calibre tried to touch the card it was back to r/o.

So I copied everything off, reformatted the card, and restored. I seem to be back in business, except that I can no longer see the reader's main memory (it's not even mounted in Linux), and Calibre sees the card as the reader's main memory.

Thanks for the help. I hope everything's fixed.

--Nathanael