Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Unwanted $nbsp;

I hope this hasn't been addressed before (a quick search didn't turn up anything).

One of the most common formatting errors in etexts is inappropriate line breaks. When correcting these in Sigil in Book View, I generally add a space at the end of the line, then hit delete. However, Sigil inserts an $nbsp; instead of a normal space, which is not, of course, what I want.

I'm new to Sigil, so I'm sure there's an easy fix, I just don't know what it is.

--Nathanael

EDIT: Forgot to say. I'm using Sigil 0.2.3 on Ubuntu 10.10b x64.

Last edited by Nathanael; 09-07-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Have you tried first deleting the newline and then adding the space? It could be (wild guess) that when you add a space at the end of a line Sigil uses a non-breaking space to avoid having it discarded.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
You might have to use Sigil to create the original, and then manually adjust the code to suit; perhaps?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Have you tried first deleting the newline and then adding the space? It could be (wild guess) that when you add a space at the end of a line Sigil uses a non-breaking space to avoid having it discarded.
Hey, good guess, that. At least I thought it was. I was surprised when it didn't work. Deleting the break first then hitting space still gives me an nbsp.

--Nathanael
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
You might have to use Sigil to create the original, and then manually adjust the code to suit; perhaps?
Except that I'm using it to fix errors in downloaded epubs. Recreating a book from scratch just to fix a stray line break might be a bit overkill. Perhaps.

--Nathanael
Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
Except that I'm using it to fix errors in downloaded epubs. Recreating a book from scratch just to fix a stray line break might be a bit overkill. Perhaps.

--Nathanael
errors in downloaded epubs ... shock horror ! (now when was the last time I saw an error in a mobi ? )
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I noted this behavior before and it can screw up formatting and nearly all editors do it.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I think the author of Sigil mentioned that this is due to the Qt software package he used to handle the internal structure. It is a bug in Qt, so he is powerless to fix it.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
I think the author of Sigil mentioned that this is due to the Qt software package he used to handle the internal structure. It is a bug in Qt, so he is powerless to fix it.
Hmm. Not a big deal. I'll just have to edit in codeview mode I guess. Thanks.

--Nathanael
Old 09-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
errors in downloaded epubs ... shock horror ! (now when was the last time I saw an error in a mobi ? )
Yeah, tell me about it. Being the overly fastidious (read: anal retentive) type, however, I just can't bear to read past an error without stopping to fix it. Which means I'm generally reading an epub on my reader, with my laptop open with a second copy of the epub loaded into Sigil. Really slows down the reading and all but negates the whole point of an ereader. But like I said, I just can't stand to let a formatting error go unaddressed.

--Nathanael.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. Being the overly fastidious (read: anal retentive) type, however, I just can't bear to read past an error without stopping to fix it. Which means I'm generally reading an epub on my reader, with my laptop open with a second copy of the epub loaded into Sigil. Really slows down the reading and all but negates the whole point of an ereader. But like I said, I just can't stand to let a formatting error go unaddressed.

--Nathanael.
Even if there are not really "errors".

"I can do better than that"
"I want it to look more like my Pbook version"
"Where is the <image>?" Rummage, rummage, Scan.. Ah!
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote