Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Restore_PC?

My EZPro has an entry called "Restore_PC" in the main menu. I searched the paper manual that came with it and the FAQ on the Astak site but can't find anything to describe what this is. Its icon is a folder. I'm dying to know what it is but not enough to select it and see what happens.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
The Restore_PC folder on any Hanlin clone should be hidden and not visible to the reader. It contains what are essentially bookmark and last position information on files that have been opened previously.

The exact data in the files depends on the format of the book it refers to.

As a folder it can get a little bloated because the files within it do not get deleted when the books they refer to are moved or deleted so from time to time I just purge this folder in the interests of general housekeeping. You won't cause any serious damage even if you delete the folder and let the device re-create it.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The Restore_PC folder on any Hanlin clone should be hidden and not visible to the reader.
I too can see the Restore_PC folder on my Pocket Pro.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The Restore_PC folder on any Hanlin clone should be hidden and not visible to the reader. It contains what are essentially bookmark and last position information on files that have been opened previously.

The exact data in the files depends on the format of the book it refers to.

As a folder it can get a little bloated because the files within it do not get deleted when the books they refer to are moved or deleted so from time to time I just purge this folder in the interests of general housekeeping. You won't cause any serious damage even if you delete the folder and let the device re-create it.

BobC
Thank you BobC. At first I thought it was a method of backing up the device, but that makes no sense since you download your books to the PC and keep them backed up that way. This makes more sense.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
rando
rando began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro
I have Restore_Pc showing also. How do I remove it?
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
I have Restore_Pc showing also. How do I remove it?
You might try connecting to your PC, going into the file with explorer, and setting the file property to "Hidden".

My Understanding is that if you delete it, it will create a new one.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
You might try connecting to your PC, going into the file with explorer, and setting the file property to "Hidden".

My Understanding is that if you delete it, it will create a new one.
Does not work for me. I made it hidden, and removed the USB connection, and the folder was still visible.

I would suggest you change your file name convention.

Since Recent File is always up top, add a -to the first 7 folders you want. So it will look like:

1. Recent Files
2. -Fantasy
3. -Sci-Fi
4. -Mystery
5. -Horror
6. -Classic
7. -Religion
8. -Documentaries

I just tried it, and it works. It will, however, list alpha betically, so you might want to number them.

1. Recent Files
2. 2 Fantasy
3. 3 Sci-Fi
4. 4 Mystery
5. 5 Horror
6. 6 Classic
7. 7 Religion
8. 8 Documentaries

You can then use the second page for your Fonts, Restore_PC, and other folders.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The can another folders that will magically appear.

Digital Editions will appear the first time Adobe on the PC recognizes the device. This is where Adobe will put any files that you push to the device from ADE on your PC.

I like the idea of Genres for folders. I also make a folder for music and one for images.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Does not work for me. I made it hidden, and removed the USB connection, and the folder was still visible.
It did not work for me either, yet on my EZ-Reader the attribute is hidden and it does not show up.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
It did not work for me either, yet on my EZ-Reader the attribute is hidden and it does not show up.
Is this a Basic? On my Basic the file is called V3_Restore_PC and it does not show up on the reader itself although it shows up if I put the card in my Pocket Pro and it along with a few others show up if you put the card in my PC. On my Pocket Pro I renamed the file to V5_Restore_PC and it still shows up but so far the unit has made another one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Remember the OS of the PEZ is Linux. Windows attributes are not honored.
Normally, Linux use a file name that starts with a dot for hidden files.
That said, changing the file name to .Restore_PC is a name change.
We would need a firmware update to match so everything works.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #12
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Weird, my PP dont show that folder on my SD card, only on main memory of PP i can see it
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I renamed the file in a card reader. Put it in the PEZ.. Gone. Opened a book and changed the page. Exited the book.
Presto, there.

Also note: I switched to internal memory (5 key), the removed the SD card. I put it into my PC and named the old file back to it's original name (after deleting the recently created version). I then reinserted it into my PEZ and switched to the SD card. The OLD, renamed file still showed on the list.
I had to power OFF and restart to get it to show right.
Another reason to power OFF before removing the SD card. We need a "unmount" for the SD card.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote